Some corrections for your consideration for several texts in Rayman 2 wiki

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge
Tings: 65

Some corrections for your consideration for several texts in Rayman 2 wiki

Post by ElPrimordial »

Since RayWiki its all tidy up and pretty, I think it would be better if I present here, some corrections (in bold) for different texts that I found in Rayman 2 wiki.
Let's start!!! :D

The Fairy Glade:
Original - Phase 2: At first, this area seems short, but later on, a special part of the area can only be accessed via the Echoing Caves.
After this sentence I think it would be necessary to add: (meaning that the cage we saw in the pirate building on left, can only be accessed through that level).
Since when I played the first time I spend several minutes trying to get that cage. If the wiki was more specific (as it is in several other occasions) I could have saved all that time.

Playstation version - Phase 1: last paragraph is repeated twice.

The Marshes of Awakening:
Original - Phase 1: and a pendulum to avoid --> and an axe pendulum to avoid
who is not at all happy to say good-bye --> visible sad to say good-bye

Playstation version: player need not visit --> player doesn't need to visit
Such an odd sentence construction...

The Bayou:
Original - Phase 2: and evade the pendulums blocking --> and evade axe pendulums blocking

The Menhir Hills:
Original - Phase 3: The level is now finished, though incomplete --> It is completed since you can't enter phase 3 if you don't get the elixir of life!

Playstation version: although it may have been anyway --> although it couldn't have been anyway

The Canopy:
Original - Phase 2: neither of the can cross --> neither of them can't cross

The Sanctuary of Stone and Fire:
Original - Phase 1: Instead he finds a Power Fist that he cannot reach just yet --> Also he finds...

Original - Phase 2: therefor --> therefore

The Echoing Caves:
Original - Phase 3: he comes across a small wooden building where a Robo-Pirate awaits him with a prisoner--> Wuts? there is no prisoner!!!

The Walk of Power:
Perhaps change the so many "body of water" phrase to stream, pond, river and so.

Tomb of the Ancients:
Original - Phase 1: a few platforms sticking out of the water. To add: Here, he must descend into the pit to activated a switch and then escalate out using the spider web. Then climb on to previous platforms...

Dreamcast: The level is identical to that of the original version-->The level is identical to the original version.

The Iron Mountains:
Original - Phase 3: meet Uglette, Globox's wife, who is upset by --> who is extremely sad by...

The Prison Ship:
Playstation 2: and then returns to the ship VIA a... --> was the capitalization a mistake?

The Crow's Nest:
Trivia: I think it would be nice to add info about hidden minigame (Menezis) in credits in this section.

And some extra observations/questions that I have:

1.- The Cave of Bad Dreams: A caption on certain image: Deep within the Cave of Bad Dreams, Jano has hidden Polokus' precious treasure... where you get that info?

2.- Tomb of the Ancients 'small' mystery: do pirates came in the past to Rayman world or they travel with a mausoleum of Razorbeard ancestors/previous bodies?

3.- The Prison Ship: Original - Phase 4: Did I'm the only one who see how similar this part is to Star Wars The Trench Run?
Jump to 08:08

4.- The Crow's Nest: Original - Phase 1: Again, striking similarity between Rayman's fall and Luke Skywalker after fighting against Darth Vader.

5.- I'm the only one that can see the great likeness between Jano y Ahriman from FF series?
https://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ahriman

6.- Ly voice effects similar to Oona, fairy from movie Legend (1985) in Latin American version... but how Ancel or someone from his team would watch that version? If it was the version from Spain, things could be more likely... I searched and found french, Spain versions of that movie, and none had those sounds effects... unless those are new dubbings, that seems to be were released in one of those new versions on DVD/Blu-ray of this movie.
Kinda mad I can't found the original latin american dubbing to prove my point... or maybe I'm confusing movies? But I'm pretty sure it was this movie! :(
Although maybe it will be more likely that those voice effects were inspired by another movie/cartoon/etc, etc, maybe some work of Studio Ghibli, since I see that Haruka Tavares read in an interview, they were highly influential in this game (someone care to share that interview, if you know what I'm talking about?).

7.- Moon and surrounding landscape where Polokus is located, similar to Death Star and planet of Ewoks scene.

8.- 4th mask its remarkable similar to alien toys from Toy Story.
https://cheerfulnovice.files.wordpress. ... alien2.jpg

9.- Robot dinosaur looks actually like minah bird, from Looney Tunes cartoons... As soon as I see it, I had a flashback to the past and that caricature... the connection was instantaneous!!! Heck, even the music in that level sounds cartoonish. Again, I was unable to find the precise episode where minah bird is followed by a giant brontosaurus (or similar dino), that copycat his steps and make all things in ground to jump in air, exactly as this 'robot dinosaur' does in game, but I hope this clip would be enough to show you how similar both are: their shapes, their moves, and even the music.

10.- It is Rayman 2 Ancel version of the Fifth Element? Check the next video (jump to 08:00 to watch the interesting stuff) and compare things. Also very fascinating that he, and probably his team, were curious about hindu culture since, at least, those days (or even earlier), and now they're going full with it in BGE 2.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Re: Some corrections for your consideration for several texts in Rayman 2 wiki

Post by Steo »

Interesting. A couple of us were working on getting the missing quotes from Rayman 3 for the Wiki, so all of this is nice to have too :)
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Fifo
Joe
Tings: 78350

Post by Fifo »

I’ll compile the edits into a Google Docs document, allowing us to collect feedback. What do you think?
Birds858
Creveton
Tings: 28481

Post by Birds858 »

The Rayman/Beyond Good and Evil theory is interesting, in fact, i’l got a similar theory when the Rayman/Rabbids universe, BG&E universe and the Tonic Trouble universe are all connected.
Steo wrote:"Don't you Know, About the bird ?
Well, Steo gonna tell you about the bird
A well a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A well a bird Surfin' bird B-b-b aah, aah!
Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa
Papa, ooma mow mow Papa, ooma mow mow!"

Birds858 wrote:
The Jonster wrote:Alright I have this one then which still amuses me a little since it brought up waifus.

Birds858 wrote:The most hottest Rayman characters is obviously Count Razoff.
It’s not awesome, it’s a fact.

Rayman 3 PS2 Score :
FC: 23977 | CF: 58813 | BOM: 35256 | LOTLD: 81011 | DOTK: 58659 | LS: 31220 | SBTC: 34536 | HH: 44581 | TOTL: 48670 | Total: 416723
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Hey ElPrimordial, feel free to make the smaller changes yourself on the wiki, it's actually pretty simple with the preview feature, and you can always roll back your edits if you're not happy with them. ;)
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

Steo wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:13 am Interesting. A couple of us were working on getting the missing quotes from Rayman 3 for the Wiki, so all of this is nice to have too :)
Glad to know that you like it :D
Fifo wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:16 am I’ll compile the edits into a Google Docs document, allowing us to collect feedback. What do you think?
I can't find a link to that document...
Birds858 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 am The Rayman/Beyond Good and Evil theory is interesting, in fact, i’l got a similar theory when the Rayman/Rabbids universe, BG&E universe and the Tonic Trouble universe are all connected.
Yeah! I also believe all those worlds belong to the "Ancelverse" :lol: :lol:
Perhaps BGE 2 will confirm this.
Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:42 pm Hey ElPrimordial, feel free to make the smaller changes yourself on the wiki, it's actually pretty simple with the preview feature, and you can always roll back your edits if you're not happy with them. ;)
Ok, gonna edit those texts then :wink:
But how about my other observations/questions? May I add them too in a "Trivia" section or, since some are very speculative in nature, you prefer to leave them out? And in this case, which I can add and which aren't suitable?
Fifo
Joe
Tings: 78350

Post by Fifo »

ElPrimordial wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:35 pm
Fifo wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:16 amI’ll compile the edits into a Google Docs document, allowing us to collect feedback. What do you think?
I’m still working on it ;)
Birds858
Creveton
Tings: 28481

Post by Birds858 »

Birds858 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 am The Rayman/Beyond Good and Evil theory is interesting, in fact, i’l got a similar theory when the Rayman/Rabbids universe, BG&E universe and the Tonic Trouble universe are all connected.
Can’t wait to see the next MCU (Michel Cinematic Universe).
Steo wrote:"Don't you Know, About the bird ?
Well, Steo gonna tell you about the bird
A well a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A well a bird Surfin' bird B-b-b aah, aah!
Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa
Papa, ooma mow mow Papa, ooma mow mow!"

Birds858 wrote:
The Jonster wrote:Alright I have this one then which still amuses me a little since it brought up waifus.

Birds858 wrote:The most hottest Rayman characters is obviously Count Razoff.
It’s not awesome, it’s a fact.

Rayman 3 PS2 Score :
FC: 23977 | CF: 58813 | BOM: 35256 | LOTLD: 81011 | DOTK: 58659 | LS: 31220 | SBTC: 34536 | HH: 44581 | TOTL: 48670 | Total: 416723
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

Fifo wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:44 pm
Fifo wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:16 amI’ll compile the edits into a Google Docs document, allowing us to collect feedback. What do you think?
I’m still working on it ;)
Oh, ok... but I already made the corrections :P with exception of observations/questions section, since I prefer get a consensus IF such notes are worthy to add to the wiki, in a trivia section, or just let them stay here, in the forums, as a curiosity.
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

Birds858 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:11 pm
Can’t wait to see the next MCU (Michel Cinematic Universe).
It would be totally awesome to find, in some forgotten asteroid, Razorbeard escape pod :lol: :lol:
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

Well, at least I found that I'm not crazy, and there are two spanish latino dubbings:
http://es.doblaje.wikia.com/wiki/Leyenda

Now the issue is to found a VHS version of that old movie and make a clip of Oona voice, so you can heard how similar those voices effects are.
Still, that doesn't answer why both are alike... perhaps we need to look further and wider to other movies/cartoons/etc, etc, to found which one was the initial inspiration for this. Maybe starting with Studio Ghibli works.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

ElPrimordial wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:35 pm But how about my other observations/questions? May I add them too in a "Trivia" section or, since some are very speculative in nature, you prefer to leave them out? And in this case, which I can add and which aren't suitable?
Well you're doing the right thing, the idea is to ask people and reach of a consensus of whether each observation is worth mentioning.

On trivia sections, just a quick reminder than they're generally considered bad practice and best avoided on wikis. I know we have a few already and it's not a priority to remove them but when possible always look for a way to incorporate the information into the body of the article. ;)
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

Also please don't triple-post El! You can use the edit button to add to your previous message, or use the topic review below the posting form to multi-quote people. ;)

The idea of a Rayman/BG&E theory sounds interesting, and I once made up one myself. I'll definitely have a look at that video when I have time!
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

Oh sorry, I didn't realize I did that. I'm gonna be careful from now on.
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

On second thought, its more likely that was the Beholder, from D&D (1975), the real origin of Jano... in any case only the developers can answer this question.

Also let's not forget the 2 suns in last part of Walk of Power... incredible the amount of Star Wars easter eggs in Rayman 2 :P :lol:
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Given this huge list of binary star systems in fiction, I wouldn't be so sure it's necessarily a reference to Star Wars. We have to be careful not to attribute causation whenever we spot similarity.
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:09 pm Given this huge list of binary star systems in fiction, I wouldn't be so sure it's necessarily a reference to Star Wars. We have to be careful not to attribute causation whenever we spot similarity.
Yeah, its a possibility.
Just in case I want to clarify, I'm not a Star Wars fanboi (I watched 2 or 3 times a couple of movies of original trilogy and just once the second trilogy movies) so I'm not trying to 'force' things here (Oh my! So sorry for this dumb pun, but I can't help it :P ) but as you may recall from my previous posts, as soon as I played Rayman 2 for the very first time, I noted that stuff... it literally popped in front of me... and then you also have this concept art about Rayman's girlfriend:

Or perhaps isn't Star Wars but Valérian and Laureline references, from which Star Wars team stolen so many concepts and ideas, and it doesn't matter how much they deny it, once you read those comics, you realize how much shameless plagiarism exists.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Of course, rather than references to a single work most of those are actually recurring themes.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

I just had a look at the quotes myself. I noticed it says "door inactivated", but I know for a fact that it's "door deactivated". Well I looked into it and it turns out it's both

Dreamcast:
Dreamcast.png
PC:
PC.jpg
Weird right? :P
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, "inactivated" is clearly lazy translation, and confused me quite a bit when I first played. Good to know they fixed it on the later port!