references in Rayman 3 - help

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or
Tings: 935

Re: references in Rayman 3 - help

Post by Rock_TBT »

There is also the reference to Russian Polka when Rayman creates a portal with the teensy at the end of most levels.

The plum itself and the way the plum is used to put it on the head of the gorille-pirate is a reference the first Rayman game.

And Mr.Dark and Admiral Razorbeard are inspired by Darth Vader and the Sheriff of Notingham respecitvely according to Michel Ancel.

In Rayman 2 (PS1), Admiral Razorbeard says "Rayman is not long for this world". Is that a quote from Shakespeare?
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Rock_TBT wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:52 am And Mr.Dark and Admiral Razorbeard are inspired by Darth Vader and the Sheriff of Notingham respecitvely according to Michel Ancel.
I don't think Ancel was that specific, his quote was:

"Rayman is a true high-performance hero who keeps a good sense of humor like Indiana Jones, for instance. He is also a rebel, fighting against the bad guys, as in Star Wars or Robin Hood."
https://www.ign.com/articles/1999/07/07/behind-rayman-2

The idea of Razorbeard and Mr Dark being inspired by Darth Vader and the Sheriff of Notingham, is just speculation from someone else.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

I think it's important to stress that an inspiration is not necessarily a reference, too.
Pipann
Bzzit
Tings: 58710

Post by Pipann »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:41 pm
"Make him eat his hood!" is a reference to how Uncle Scrooge and Flintheart Glomgold challenges each other to eat their own hats if the lose in Carl Barks comics.
Or maybe just an adaptation of the phrase “eat one's hat”, given that the subject is a Hoodlum?
I know I'm late to the party but I wanted to mention that this actually would be from Globox talking about Reflux (who wears a hood) as he cheers Rayman on before the fight. However I'm not sure how this qualifies as a reference to anything either. :P
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

In a quote, Murfy says "armageddon is upon us".

Is that a reference to the movie "Clue (1985)", where the chief says "Armageddon is almost upon us."

Armageddon is also mentioned in the Bible I believe, and is also the title of a movie from 1998.

Is it a running gag that the first three Rayman games, all include piranahas who get their teeth destroyed?

And the first three Rayman games all include the plum itself, and that the plum is always placed on top of an enemy´s head.

Is Otto´s scientist-robe, a reference to Dr.Frankenstein (from the novel and movie Frankeinstein´s monster)?

Is "Big Hand" by Globox a reference to the enemy in Smash Bros with the same name?
Last edited by Rock_TBT on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

There are countless of characters that wear labcoats (see: Labcoat of Science and Medicine). If something must be considered as a reference to Dr. Frankenstein, I think more similarities with the source material have to be found.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

And to address the other points:
Rock_TBT wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:33 pm In a quote, Murfy says "armageddon is upon us".

Is that a reference to the movie "Clue (1985)", where the chief says "Armageddon is almost upon us."

Armageddon is also mentioned in the Bible I believe, and is also the title of a movie from 1998.
I invite you to look up Armageddon on Wikipedia. In this context, it simply refers to the end of the world, which I'm sure you'll agree is a concept that predates the movie Clue. :P
Rock_TBT wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:33 pm Is it a running gag that the first three Rayman games, all include piranahas who get their teeth destroyed?

And the first three Rayman games all include the plum itself, and that the plum is always placed on top of an enemy´s head.
Unsurprisingly, there's a lot of recurring elements in the series (even Rayman himself is one of them), so it might take a very long time (and not be very useful) to list them all. I must concede however that the distinction between a reference to an earlier game and a plain recurring element is not so easy to make.
Rock_TBT wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:33 pm Is "Big Hand" by Globox a reference to the enemy in Smash Bros with the same name?
According to SmashWiki, it's actually called Master Hand, so I guess this settles the question.
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

It's hard to understand what they're saying in R3 sometimes, especially because no subtitles. :mefiant: So I'm not so sure if he's saying "big hand". I would probably go back and listen to every bit of dialogue with all other sound off to find out.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

He says "big hand" all right, "grosse main" in French. It's just that he doesn't know the proper name for a Mawpaw / Paluchard...
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Who can blame him? There's been a lot of confusion here too. :P
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

Oh you're right! I forgot it was in Razzof's basement that he says that.

It would hardly be a chore for me to make a video compilation of all the dialogue though! I love the game so much I'm even thinking of streaming it with my friends again someday soon.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

You can find compilations of the dialogues in YouTube:

Also, I think the PS3 localization file has most of the dialogues.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:22 am Who can blame him? There's been a lot of confusion here too. :P
Indeed!
Indeed!
snip-1613588189.png (28.36 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
He's in-universe though. I suppose it raises an interesting question of how much awareness there is of biodiversity in the Glade, among hoi polloi (if Globox can be considered one of the latter :fou:)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

While I'm unsure about Globox's social status in the Glade, he might just be another victim of our infamous feedback loop. :hap:

I mean, don't they have RayWiki access over there?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

I think they do, but it's in a book form, so maybe it's not always up to date: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=27602
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

And we might have gotten Murfy fired. Hope people won't hold that against us...
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

Elite Piranha wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:51 pm You can find compilations of the dialogues in YouTube:

Also, I think the PS3 localization file has most of the dialogues.
Neat! But are there others besides Globox? I was rather thinking of a compilation with all dialogue from all characters. Someone hacky could also rip all the dialog files from the game. Would certainly save time.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Pipann wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:43 pm Neat! But are there others besides Globox? I was rather thinking of a compilation with all dialogue from all characters. Someone hacky could also rip all the dialog files from the game. Would certainly save time.
These are all the compilations I'm aware of:

- Rayman 3 - All Rayman Voice Clips
- Rayman 3 - All Globox Voice Clips
- Rayman 3 - All Murfy Voice Clips
- "Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc" Voice Clips Playlist
- Rayman 3 - Game Sounds ~ Rip
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

Is this statue in "The Longest Shortcut", a reference to Da Vinci´s "The Virtuvian Man"?

Is Armageddon, a reference to the Bible then?
Attachments
Skärmavbild 2021-03-26 kl. 19.14.11.png
Skärmavbild 2021-03-26 kl. 19.14.11.png (184.4 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Skärmavbild 2021-03-26 kl. 19.15.19.png
Skärmavbild 2021-03-26 kl. 19.15.19.png (162.1 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Maybe if the Teensie had an extra set of arms and legs, it could be considered a reference to the Vitruvian Man, but in this case I think it is just a Teensie that is making a similar pose.