Globox's species

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Re: Globox's species

Post by Steo »

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 am Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's ever going to get an official translation!
Which is a shame really as I'd love to read it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it was ever translated, and even though it's pretty impractical, I feel like I'll still eventually end up buying it just to have, as I love owning Rayman merchandise.

Learning French just to read one book would be crazy though. I should have done French in school instead of woodwork, but how was I supposed to know that learning French could possibly be useful for me. :mrgreen:
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Steo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:51 am Learning French just to read one book would be crazy though. I should have done French in school instead of woodwork, but how was I supposed to know that learning French could possibly be useful for me. :mrgreen:
Not that usefulness should be your sole criterion when it comes to foreign languages, it's actually very enriching to learn a couple.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

I'm joking about the usefulness part. I'd actually like to learn it, even if it was only for reading and typing. I only know a very limited amount of French from what I've learned in primary school at a French club when I was like 11. I've also noticed the punctuation seems to be different when it comes to "?" and "!". The sad thing is, I know almost as much French as I do Irish, which is very little.

I could only really focus on stuff in school if I was highly interested in the subject, and I wanted to do woodwork anyway since I like doing DIY work. It's probably a little late for me to start trying to learn other languages now when I really should have done it years ago.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Dumbo TV
Barbara
Tings: 11845

What is the species of Globox ?

Post by Dumbo TV »

In "The Story of Rayman" it is specified that his species is called "Glutes", but this name is already used by the blue birds of Rayman 3, is it then a mistake of the authors ?
DorkLore had proposed the name "Blueberry Toads" I like the name a lot but Globox is a frog, so do you have any arguments to offer :?:
SilverLum
Aline Louïa
Tings: 108188

Re: What is the species of Globox ?

Post by SilverLum »

I believe people often mistake Globox for being a glute due to some lines in Rayman 3 that may or may not refer to him as such (Globox’s catchphrase “Gaseous Glute” and the hostess calling for the “glute” to report to the welcome desk), but it is canonically the name of the bird! I believe this was just a misunderstanding by the team. Globox is simply…a Globox :hap:
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ℑ'𝔩𝔩 𝔥𝔢𝔩𝔭 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔟𝔶 𝔤𝔦𝔳𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔢𝔫𝔢𝔯𝔤𝔶 ℑ'𝔳𝔢 𝔤𝔞𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢𝔡 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Dumbo TV
Barbara

Post by Dumbo TV »

SilverLum wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:12 pm I believe people often mistake Globox for being a glute due to some lines in Rayman 3 that may or may not refer to him as such (Globox’s catchphrase “Gaseous Glute” and the hostess calling for the “glute” to report to the welcome desk), but it is canonically the name of the bird! I believe this was just a misunderstanding by the team. Globox is simply…a Globox :hap:
But that's his name! it would be like called all the ducks "Donald" 🤔
Greengoop
Creveton
Tings: 29780

Post by Greengoop »

I think his species is just called globox
Dumbo TV
Barbara

Post by Dumbo TV »

Greengoop wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:55 pm I think his species is just called globox
Ok "Human"
Greengoop
Creveton

Post by Greengoop »

Thanks for agreeing, human, should we tell human about this thread? We could maybe tell human if we’re feeling daring!
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

SilverLum wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:12 pm I believe people often mistake Globox for being a glute due to some lines in Rayman 3 that may or may not refer to him as such (Globox’s catchphrase “Gaseous Glute” and the hostess calling for the “glute” to report to the welcome desk), but it is canonically the name of the bird! I believe this was just a misunderstanding by the team. Globox is simply…a Globox :hap:
Yes, I've come to the conclusion that it's a misunderstanding on the part of the English translators, which was then propagated to most anglophone players, and from there to Wikipedia, and then through a process of citogenesis it ended up in the book! :hap: It's not the only piece of content that was mistakenly included: on the page about Rayman Designer, there's a screenshot from one of my YouTube videos that shows a really hacked version of the game! :lol:

It's funny, for several years, the "Globox's species debate" basically consisted of people who played the French version saying "how could you possibly think he's a Glute?" and people who played the English version saying "how could you possibly not?". It's only when people started playing both versions that the problem became apparent :fou:
SilverLum
Aline Louïa
Tings: 108188

Post by SilverLum »

PluMGMK wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:53 pm
Yes, I've come to the conclusion that it's a misunderstanding on the part of the English translators, which was then propagated to most anglophone players, and from there to Wikipedia, and then through a process of citogenesis it ended up in the book! :hap: It's not the only piece of content that was mistakenly included: on the page about Rayman Designer, there's a screenshot from one of my YouTube videos that shows a really hacked version of the game! :lol:

It's funny, for several years, the "Globox's species debate" basically consisted of people who played the French version saying "how could you possibly think he's a Glute?" and people who played the English version saying "how could you possibly not?". It's only when people started playing both versions that the problem became apparent :fou:
So interesting how something as small as a translation error can alter the canon for an entire part of the fandom. It's why I'm glad we're at the point where we can compare game translations whenever we like. :hap:
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ℑ'𝔩𝔩 𝔥𝔢𝔩𝔭 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔟𝔶 𝔤𝔦𝔳𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔢𝔫𝔢𝔯𝔤𝔶 ℑ'𝔳𝔢 𝔤𝔞𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢𝔡 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78135

Post by The Jonster »

Dumbo TV wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:11 pm In "The Story of Rayman" it is specified that his species is called "Glutes", but this name is already used by the blue birds of Rayman 3, is it then a mistake of the authors ?
DorkLore had proposed the name "Blueberry Toads" I like the name a lot but Globox is a frog, so do you have any arguments to offer :?:
Blueberry Toads! :lol:

I mean technically that could make sense since Gumsi referred to him as a toad. Once I seen what a glute really was I never thought of him as such.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Greengoop
Creveton

Post by Greengoop »

What if that was just a joke about him not being able to identify his species and saying the first think that came to mind
The Jonster
Joe

Post by The Jonster »

Actually if we take into account that silly Origins relic story, Globox would technically be a Red Wizard that was turned blue by some freak accident. But then that would probably create more confusion and more questions. Like for example, what would Uglette be then and why is she pink?
Dumbo TV
Barbara

Post by Dumbo TV »

The Jonster wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Actually if we take into account that silly Origins relic story, Globox would technically be a Red Wizard that was turned blue by some freak accident. But then that would probably create more confusion and more questions. Like for example, what would Uglette be then and why is she pink?
that's right, the name "Blueberry" doesn't work because Globox isn't naturally blue, and for Uglette, most members of Globox's species would be variations between: Pink, Red and Orange but in Rayman Revolution Globox babies have new colors, so how can we explain that?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

I don't see any reason for all the members of Globox's species to be the same or similar colours. Look at cats, they can be black, white, tabby, ginger, etc, or interesting combinations of all of the above!
The Jonster
Joe

Post by The Jonster »

Then what would we call Uglette then if she is not necessarily part of Globox's species? For all we know we could argue Globox's species to be Uglette's species instead!

In regards to my earlier post, if we look into the Knowledge of the World in Rayman 2, then he was actually created by Polokus instead, along with the rest of the family. Which would revert back to Dumbo's purpose of this topic: what are the species called? Which further proves Plum's point here.
Greengoop
Creveton

Post by Greengoop »

The Jonster wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:29 am Then what would we call Uglette then if she is not necessarily part of Globox's species? For all we know we could argue Globox's species to be Uglette's species instead!

In regards to my earlier post, if we look into the Knowledge of the World in Rayman 2, then he was actually created by Polokus instead, along with the rest of the family. Which would revert back to Dumbo's purpose of this topic: what are the species called? Which further proves Plum's point here.
What if they’re just an oversized frog species living in the glade of dreams
Dumbo TV
Barbara

Post by Dumbo TV »

Greengoop wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:45 am
The Jonster wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:29 am Then what would we call Uglette then if she is not necessarily part of Globox's species? For all we know we could argue Globox's species to be Uglette's species instead!

What if they’re just an oversized frog species living in the glade of dreams
yes. but the NAME ! the NAAAAAAAAAAAAME !? :waaahhh:
The Jonster
Joe

Post by The Jonster »

Greengoop wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:45 am What if they’re just an oversized frog species living in the glade of dreams
I think oversized is a bit of a stretch. The kids seem to be normal sized to me.