The final version of RayWiki is available!

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Re: The final version of RayWiki is available!

Post by spiraldoor »

Yeah, this definitely works for me. Differentiating by game provides a vastly neater and more relevant network of connections than differentiating by in-universe stuff. I recommend you paste this code into a new "Template:Rayman 1", and replace the contents of all R1-related navboxes with "{{Rayman 1}}" to spread the new template throughout the wiki instantly.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Hmm, I'll see to it then. I also see I goofed a little in regards to the Magician article, my bad.
While I've been at it, I also tried to make a template for the series as a whole: http://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Template_talk:Rayman_series
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Master wrote:I also see I goofed a little in regards to the Magician article, my bad.
Relax, this is the reason wikis exist.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Alright, I think the Rayman 1 template has been approved, as such, I think it's time to move on to making like templates for the other games, any further thoughts?
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

The Rayman 2 template might be a bit more challenging but we can use the same principles for the R1 template. How we will do about Rayman Revolution, though?
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Revolution is a version of Rayman 2. I think it may be best to treat them as if they were the same game, and make no distinction between their contents.
rolesfamily
Uglette
Tings: 74925

Post by rolesfamily »

spiraldoor wrote:Revolution is a version of Rayman 2. I think it may be best to treat them as if they were the same game, and make no distinction between their contents.
They are quite different though. A lot of changes were made in the game styles. I own Revolution and I've played Rayman 2 and they are quite different.
Signature made by Harpic fraîcheur
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

I think it's pretty common knowledge that Revolution is the most different incarnation of Rayman 2. However, at its core, Revolution is Rayman 2, for all its bells and whistles, I'd say at least 65% of the game is pretty much just Rayman 2. As such, I share Spiral's opinion on having Revolution as part of a master Rayman 2 template, and not having its own.
rolesfamily
Uglette

Post by rolesfamily »

Master wrote:I think it's pretty common knowledge that Revolution is the most different incarnation of Rayman 2. However, at its core, Revolution is Rayman 2, for all its bells and whistles, I'd say at least 65% of the game is pretty much just Rayman 2. As such, I share Spiral's opinion on having Revolution as part of a master Rayman 2 template, and not having its own.
Maybe there should be a sub heading saying what is different in Revolution?
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

We're not dealing with articles, besides, level articles already have headings for each version, and other differences are noted on Revolution's page. We're dealing with a navigational template, the table at the bottom of the page which links to other related articles under the same game, like this:
rolesfamily
Uglette

Post by rolesfamily »

Master wrote:We're not dealing with articles, besides, level articles already have headings for each version, and other differences are noted on Revolution's page. We're dealing with a navigational template, the table at the bottom of the page which links to other related articles under the same game, like this:
That looks fine to me, what's the problem? Revolution is in he right category there
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

No, I'm just using that as an example of a navigational template, that's not the template we're discussing, that template has yet to be made. Hence why I was asking for thoughts before we started off on it.
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Rayman 2 brings with it different requirements than Rayman 1. For instance, the levels have no clear division into worlds, so it's probably best to just list all 20 or so levels in a single unbroken group. We might divide them into groups by mask, as I did for the R2 plot summary (early levels, first mask levels, second mask levels, third mask levels, fourth mask levels, final levels), but that might not be necessary. There are far fewer level-specific enemies in R2 than there are in R1, so that's probably a bad way to group enemies, too. We'll have to find a way that feels intuitive to the game itself. Maybe have groups like "Robo-Pirates", "Guardians", and "Animals" or something like that? Power-ups, objects and so on can be grouped as they are in the R1 template.
Dart
Clark
Tings: 49845

Post by Dart »

looks good. my only thing on it is that legends beat-box ran on some sort of flash, so it will need to be categorized as such.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Hm, perhaps we could use Revolution's hubs to divide the levels, but that kind of cross-pollination is probably confusing. I'd agree that having them all one after the other is fine.
As for the Robo-Pirates, we could use the current Robo-Pirate as a template for groups and sub-groups, though seeing that the Robo-Pirate enemies span over more than just Rayman 2, with exclusive enemies in other titles, I'm not sure if we should replace that template outright. I think we ought to keep it alongside the Rayman 2 template.
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Maybe we should change "Flash" to "Browser".
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

spiraldoor wrote:Revolution is a version of Rayman 2. I think it may be best to treat them as if they were the same game, and make no distinction between their contents.
Yeah, I was also thinking in that in order to not complicate the things.
spiraldoor wrote:Rayman 2 brings with it different requirements than Rayman 1. For instance, the levels have no clear division into worlds, so it's probably best to just list all 20 or so levels in a single unbroken group. We might divide them into groups by mask, as I did for the R2 plot summary (early levels, first mask levels, second mask levels, third mask levels, fourth mask levels, final levels), but that might not be necessary. There are far fewer level-specific enemies in R2 than there are in R1, so that's probably a bad way to group enemies, too. We'll have to find a way that feels intuitive to the game itself. Maybe have groups like "Robo-Pirates", "Guardians", and "Animals" or something like that? Power-ups, objects and so on can be grouped as they are in the R1 template.
Couldn't we use "Neutral" as a division for the characters like the Guardians and others? Maybe it would look less fragmented.
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

I don't think that would work very well. People think of the guardians as "enemies", "bosses" or "villains", and we need to find a way of organising them by one of these terms. Nobody scans a template for "neutral", so it's not useful for navigation.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Hm, there's not many other enemies I can think of that aren't Robo-Pirates, perhaps we could have subgroups for enemies.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

spiraldoor wrote:I don't think that would work very well. People think of the guardians as "enemies", "bosses" or "villains", and we need to find a way of organising them by one of these terms. Nobody scans a template for "neutral", so it's not useful for navigation.
Fair enough. In that case I say that the Robo-Pirates, Guardians and Animals are fine.