The final version of RayWiki is available!

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Imco
Aline Louïa
Tings: 123540

Re: The final version of RayWiki is available!

Post by Imco »

Master wrote:You'll need to log into the Wiki itself in order to edit it, click the login button on the top right, and login using your RPC account details.
Thanks! Never saw that, must be because it's in orange, and it's so tiny :P
Event-Bot wrote:I'm here.
Thanks for creating me popa. :coeur:
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

I've been reading through some of the main series game's articles, and blimey, they're difficult to effectively read through. I posited a potential rewrite for the R3 article, but having peaked at some others, I think I might be tempted to make changes on a few others. The Rayman original trilogy articles are particular examples where extreme word-walling and a lack of effective spacing and laying out is really making the article come across as a stream of characters instead of meaningful text.
boomboleros7
Mr Stone
Tings: 68091

Post by boomboleros7 »

Warning:

This month, the French and English versions of RayWiki have been vandalized three times.
With the aim to insult users and moderators, one or several French member(s) used fake accounts to create insulting user pages and modify articles about Rayman universe with insulting content.
The targets of the vandalism were BestXIII and LoveMetal.
I've deleted the changes and block the fake wiki accounts, and I'll speak with the admins to find and punish the persons responsible.

To the RPC members:
If, in the next days, you see insulting changes on the wiki, don't hesitate to undo them.

To the others wiki admins:
Be vigilant. If I'm not on the wiki, block immediately the fake accounts and delete each change they made.

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

Wow, I had hoped this sort of action against members would have stopped by now. Well done for being a proactive wiki admin. I hate to see people be targeted like this, and it events such as this that make it difficult to continue posting here. At least on the wiki it seems that it is being dealt with.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

I've made a few changes to the Rayman 3 (early production) article, which was little more than a big dump of images and links.

However, I've mostly worked on the structure, and there's still a lot of content to add: a short paragraph for each item in the scrapped levels, scrapped characters and scrapped objects sections would be welcome. :up:
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Yeah, I think I did tidy it up a bit before in January, but that further tidying up was well needed.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

So, anybody up for it? :mrgreen:
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Post by Ray502 »

I think I can add some information to the screenshots and items, but it may not be enough to your specifications.

EDIT: Here's what I did, starting with the "early development" section. https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Rayman_3_( ... evelopment
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

It's much better already, thank you. :)
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

On the topic of early development, I could've sworn I once saw a screenshot of Rayman being underwater in what appeared to be the cancelled underwater area, but I cannot for the life of me find it. Anyone know if I'm just going loopy, or if it was a thing?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/File:R3_Su ... _Chase.jpg
I think there might be more unused prerelease R3 images in the R3 Images category, it might be worthwhile to comb through them and add anything that's currently not in any of the necessary articles.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

That's right, unused images are the worst, they should either be used or deleted. :)
GOT4N
Photographe
Tings: 400

Post by GOT4N »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrcXdaT5GcM
Should we add this video to Rayman Raving Rabbids's page? (yes it's mine). It says Bunnies are Shooting All Over The Place is an unused minigame (which is totally true) but not referenced, we could add this?
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

GOT4N wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrcXdaT5GcM
Should we add this video to Rayman Raving Rabbids's page? (yes it's mine). It says Bunnies are Shooting All Over The Place is an unused minigame (which is totally true) but not referenced, we could add this?
I feel like it would be more appropriate to reference the video under the minigame's page, at least when it has one.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Post by Ray502 »

We can't really do much until the minigame's article has been created. When that happens, we put a link to the video under an "External links" section.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78135

Post by The Jonster »

I think the Wiki's looking great so far! :D
I would love to help with editing sometime. Just need to keep practicing with the sandbox.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

There's really not that much to it. If you see something you think should be changed/improved, just jump right in! ;)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Yeah, editing text couldn't be more simple. Wikicode takes a bit more practice but you'll get there easily.
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 10724

Re: Questions

Post by 1234 »

Even though it doesn't have anything to do with the original question, going by the title I'm right in this topic, I guess. :P

1.) The recent inclusion of the Noirôdeur reminded me to ask whether there is an official name for the insect-like creatures near the lanterns in the Bog of Murk as well (see image below or this video)? The texture file is called "mar_mosk_spritegen", so "mosk" might be related to its name, quite possibly "moskito".
mar_mosk_spritegen.png
mar_mosk_spritegen.png (11.09 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
2.) In the GBA version of Rayman 3, in the bumper karts race mode (multiplayer), there are light blue Lums which give you a boost once three are collected. Are they still simply called Blue Lums (if an official name exists at all)? I didn't see them being mentioned in any article.

3.) Some months ago I tried some of the old Rayman Flash games. Just for fun I also extracted some of the files/images (they appear to be mainly vector graphics). Most of the characters don't have images in RayWiki yet, so I thought I might upload some. However, RayWiki doesn't support svg files. Is there a workaround for this?

4.) Is there a preferred way how to include sprites in articles? One problem is that due to the small size they don't quite fit in with the other images/screenshots (see e.g. the Hoodstormer article, last image), and a caption also isn't quite possible. The French Wiki handles this quite well by creating info cards for (almost) every game the respective character is in (see e.g. the Hoodstormer article (fr), right side). In this case (and in others even more), however, creating additional info cards in the English Wiki would increase the length of the page a lot while keeping the length of the text pretty much the same -> a lot of emptiness in the middle. Any ideas on that? In case of objects info cards might also not be appropriate at all. So, is there a general rule/consensus on how to include small sprites best?
FC: 51.570 | CF: 129.750 | BOM: 100.899 | LOTLD: 122.659 | DOTK: 110.929 | LS: 45.340 | SBTC: 111.459 | HH: 119.849 | TOTL: 110.499

Total: 902.954
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

1234 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 am Even though it doesn't have anything to do with the original question, going by the title I'm right in this topic, I guess. :P
I moved that to a more generic topic for you (and changed the other topic's title for added clarity). :mrgreen:
1234 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 am 1.) The recent inclusion of the Noirôdeur reminded me to ask whether there is an official name for the insect-like creatures near the lanterns in the Bog of Murk as well (see image below or this video)? The texture file is called "mar_mosk_spritegen", so "mosk" might be related to its name, quite possibly "moskito".
mar_mosk_spritegen.png
I don't think there is one. Are they notable enough to warrant the question, though? They appear to be little more than a visual detail.
1234 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 am 2.) In the GBA version of Rayman 3, in the bumper karts race mode (multiplayer), there are light blue Lums which give you a boost once three are collected. Are they still simply called Blue Lums (if an official name exists at all)? I didn't see them being mentioned in any article.
I didn't know about these! If they're a different color, then I suppose they're worth mentioning as a different type of Lums.
1234 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 am 3.) Some months ago I tried some of the old Rayman Flash games. Just for fun I also extracted some of the files/images (they appear to be mainly vector graphics). Most of the characters don't have images in RayWiki yet, so I thought I might upload some. However, RayWiki doesn't support svg files. Is there a workaround for this?
I should be able to fix that. I'll do a quick security review first (SVG bombs anyone? :P) but as long as they're handled properly by the software I don't see a reason not to enable them.
1234 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 am 4.) Is there a preferred way how to include sprites in articles? One problem is that due to the small size they don't quite fit in with the other images/screenshots (see e.g. the Hoodstormer article, last image), and a caption also isn't quite possible. The French Wiki handles this quite well by creating info cards for (almost) every game the respective character is in (see e.g. the Hoodstormer article (fr), right side). In this case (and in others even more), however, creating additional info cards in the English Wiki would increase the length of the page a lot while keeping the length of the text pretty much the same -> a lot of emptiness in the middle. Any ideas on that? In case of objects info cards might also not be appropriate at all. So, is there a general rule/consensus on how to include small sprites best?
I don't think the way sprites are included at the moment looks very good, mostly for the reasons you mentioned, so I would suggest to either have separate infoboxes like on the French wiki or a separate 'Sprites' section somewhere on the page, probably at the end.
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 10724

Post by 1234 »

Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:31 pm I moved that to a more generic topic for you (and changed the other topic's title for added clarity). :mrgreen:
Ok, thanks! :)
Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:31 pm I don't think there is one. Are they notable enough to warrant the question, though? They appear to be little more than a visual detail.
I know they're rather insignificant, but probably not much more than e.g. the Noirôdeur. Also, they are the only creatures in the game I could think of that I didn't see being included in any article and whose name I don't know, and I like to have things complete. :P But, if the texture file is the only potential hint to its name, I guess we can just leave it be for now.
Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:31 pm I didn't know about these! If they're a different color, then I suppose they're worth mentioning as a different type of Lums.
They are definitely brighter than the regular blue Lums in the game. Here are some images:
LumLightBlue.png
LumLightBlue.png (593 Bytes) Viewed 4691 times
Rayman 3 (Game Boy Advance) - Light Blue Lums.png
Rayman 3 (Game Boy Advance) - Light Blue Lums.png (31.54 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
Basically, each Lum fills the bar on the top right by 1/3. Once it's full, you'll automatically get a boost for a couple of seconds.
If anyone has more information about these Lums, feel free to add the images to the respective article, provided the images will do.
Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:31 pm I should be able to fix that. I'll do a quick security review first (SVG bombs anyone? :P) but as long as they're handled properly by the software I don't see a reason not to enable them.
I don't have many images (only about 15 +-5), so if it's too much of a hassle to enable svg files, it might not be worth it, especially since it's probably just for the Flash games.
Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:31 pm I don't think the way sprites are included at the moment looks very good, mostly for the reasons you mentioned, so I would suggest to either have separate infoboxes like on the French wiki or a separate 'Sprites' section somewhere on the page, probably at the end.
Do you know an exemplary article for your latter suggestion? Also, wouldn't an entire section just for one or two tiny sprites be too much?

Incidentally, in the next days I won't be able to make any edits yet, I'm just asking in advance. :)
FC: 51.570 | CF: 129.750 | BOM: 100.899 | LOTLD: 122.659 | DOTK: 110.929 | LS: 45.340 | SBTC: 111.459 | HH: 119.849 | TOTL: 110.499

Total: 902.954