The final version of RayWiki is available!

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Re: The final version of RayWiki is available!

Post by Hunchman801 »

1234 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am I know they're rather insignificant, but probably not much more than e.g. the Noirôdeur. Also, they are the only creatures in the game I could think of that I didn't see being included in any article and whose name I don't know, and I like to have things complete. :P But, if the texture file is the only potential hint to its name, I guess we can just leave it be for now.
True that, though the Noirôdeur at least has a backstory and is mentioned somewhere. I'm not opposed to having it the on the wiki, it's just probably just worth discussing, I guess.
1234 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am They are definitely brighter than the regular blue Lums in the game. Here are some images:
LumLightBlue.png
Rayman 3 (Game Boy Advance) - Light Blue Lums.png
Basically, each Lum fills the bar on the top right by 1/3. Once it's full, you'll automatically get a boost for a couple of seconds.
If anyone has more information about these Lums, feel free to add the images to the respective article, provided the images will do.
Nice find! I guess we could call them light blue Lums. :P
1234 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am I don't have many images (only about 15 +-5), so if it's too much of a hassle to enable svg files, it might not be worth it, especially since it's probably just for the Flash games.
It's probably no big deal, I'll look into it ASAP.
1234 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am Do you know an exemplary article for your latter suggestion? Also, wouldn't an entire section just for one or two tiny sprites be too much?
I don't think there's one yet. A whole section might be a lot, but I'm yet to hear of a better idea!
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 10724

Post by 1234 »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm True that, though the Noirôdeur at least has a backstory and is mentioned somewhere. I'm not opposed to having it the on the wiki, it's just probably just worth discussing, I guess.
I quickly looked into the GC version of R3 with the web version of Raymap. There I could see a proper name for the two insect swarms in BOM1, that being "sctvOUT_mosquitoes". While the names in the game files usually don't coincide with the official names, in this case I think it shoud be ok to assume the creature to be a "Mosquito" without any other name and to include it in the respective article. Any objections?
Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm Nice find! I guess we could call them light blue Lums. :P
All right! I can take care of it. However, it might take a while yet, so, if anyone wants to create the article instead, don't hold back. :mryellow:
Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm I don't think there's one yet. A whole section might be a lot, but I'm yet to hear of a better idea!
I don't really have any other ideas for now, either. However, in most cases, I think additional infoboxes might actually be the way to go, in particular when it comes to enemies, since a lot of attributes/infos often change from game to game (attacks, HP, locations, ...). But also in the case of objects and minor creatures I imagine it being fine (though perhaps a bit empty). Only about major non-hostile creatures (Globox, Murfy, ...) I'm not so sure. The info mostly stays the same for every game, meaning infoboxes would have great redundancy...
FC: 51.570 | CF: 129.750 | BOM: 100.899 | LOTLD: 122.659 | DOTK: 110.929 | LS: 45.340 | SBTC: 111.459 | HH: 119.849 | TOTL: 110.499

Total: 902.954
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

1234 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:38 am I quickly looked into the GC version of R3 with the web version of Raymap. There I could see a proper name for the two insect swarms in BOM1, that being "sctvOUT_mosquitoes". While the names in the game files usually don't coincide with the official names, in this case I think it shoud be ok to assume the creature to be a "Mosquito" without any other name and to include it in the respective article. Any objections?
That article is specifically about the giant mosquitoes like Bzzit and the other members of its species, so it's probably not a good place for this. I've asked boombo what he thinks, let's see what he replies.
1234 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:38 am All right! I can take care of it. However, it might take a while yet, so, if anyone wants to create the article instead, don't hold back. :mryellow:
Sounds good!
1234 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:38 am I don't really have any other ideas for now, either. However, in most cases, I think additional infoboxes might actually be the way to go, in particular when it comes to enemies, since a lot of attributes/infos often change from game to game (attacks, HP, locations, ...). But also in the case of objects and minor creatures I imagine it being fine (though perhaps a bit empty). Only about major non-hostile creatures (Globox, Murfy, ...) I'm not so sure. The info mostly stays the same for every game, meaning infoboxes would have great redundancy...
Maybe we can start with a sprites section and migrate to multiple infoboxes on a case by case basis?
boomboleros7
Mr Stone
Tings: 68091

Post by boomboleros7 »

1234 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 am 1.) The recent inclusion of the Noirôdeur reminded me to ask whether there is an official name for the insect-like creatures near the lanterns in the Bog of Murk as well (see image below or this video)? The texture file is called "mar_mosk_spritegen", so "mosk" might be related to its name, quite possibly "moskito".
1234 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am I know they're rather insignificant, but probably not much more than e.g. the Noirôdeur. Also, they are the only creatures in the game I could think of that I didn't see being included in any article and whose name I don't know, and I like to have things complete. :P But, if the texture file is the only potential hint to its name, I guess we can just leave it be for now.
1234 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:38 am I quickly looked into the GC version of R3 with the web version of Raymap. There I could see a proper name for the two insect swarms in BOM1, that being "sctvOUT_mosquitoes". While the names in the game files usually don't coincide with the official names, in this case I think it shoud be ok to assume the creature to be a "Mosquito" without any other name and to include it in the respective article. Any objections?
As Hunch said, despite their very small role in Rayman 3, Noirôdeurs "deserved" an article since they were mentioned in the game press kit, and also on the French official website. This wiki article can help the fans who saw or remember that name to identify them.

So you're telling me we have an article for every creature in Rayman 3 except these mosquitoes? :o
3D creatures at least, should we speak about the 2D creatures? :)

I suppose it won't be a big issue to create an article for them, after all, it won't be the first small article about a creature. :mryellow:
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Eye

Hey, we even have small articles about creatures that were scrapped from a game! :mrgreen:
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Water_bug

Concerning the name, again as Hunch said, the article for the giant mosquitoes isn't the place to talk about them.

Hm... The "mar" in "mar_mosk_spritegen" is probably for "marais" (French name for "marsh").
I think we can use this, and "sctvOUT_mosquitoes".
So their name would be "marsh mosquito".
Or "marshes mosquito"? I have a doubt for the singular form.
Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm Nice find! I guess we could call them light blue Lums. :P
Interesting... :o

I think these Blue Lums haven't been mentioned on the wiki because the multiplayer part of Rayman 3 on GBA isn't as known as the single player one.
Especially given that it's hard to use it nowadays.

I'm not sure about the name... Is there any information in the sprite files?

I was wondering if we could speak about them in the main Blue Lum article, but it would be confusing since there are already Blue Lums in the game.
A new article will be clearer.
Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 am Maybe we can start with a sprites section and migrate to multiple infoboxes on a case by case basis?
Sprites inclusion is always tricky...

In my opinion, sprites are mainly interesting for pages with multiple infoboxes. Mainly enemies like the different types of Henchmen and some creatures like the Popolopoï.
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Green_Henchman_800
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Popolopo%C3%AF

The French article for the Hoodstormer indeed proves that a page with multiple infoboxes has a good presentation.

I think the same method can be used on most English pages, since the content is often similar and the image galleries allow to fill a lot of space.

For some pages, an expansion of the content and/or the addition of new images will be necessary, which can be easily done. Take the Hoodmonger Soldier, for example:
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/fr/Fantasnip_Troufion
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Hoodmonger_Soldier

Well, I admit even with this method, some pages will still seems a little empty.
I'm pretty happy of what I manage to do with the French pages of the Ninja Crabs and the Podocrocks a few weeks ago, but let's face it, there is not much to say about them in Hoodlums' Revenge.
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/fr/Crabe-Ninja
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/fr/Podocroc

Concerning objects and major characters like Globox... I don't think adding infoboxes with a little sprite will be interesting for them. It's better to keep a lot of classic screenshots, to show in which situation we meet them.

If we have a big 3D texture or a big UbiArt sprite, it's interesting since it can be analyzed in detail by the visitors, but it's not the case for small 3D textures and sprites.

Sprite galleries at the end of a page could be interesting for some cases like Murfy or the cages, but if it's only for one sprite, like the Stones of Thought in Rayman 3 on GBA, I don't think it will be necessary to have it. A very small image in the middle of big screenshots and textures isn't very aesthetic.

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102730

Post by PluMGMK »

"Marsh mosquito" sounds good, and the alliteration is very nice! :P I'm not sure if the "mar_" stands for "marais" though, don't those prefixes normally stand for the names of the developers who inserted/scripted the object? I could be wrong…
Dragon Médiéval

Post by 1234 »

Thanks for the detailed answers!
boomboleros7 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:05 pm So you're telling me we have an article for every creature in Rayman 3 except these mosquitoes? :o
3D creatures at least, should we speak about the 2D creatures? :)
Well, obviously I can't guarantee that, but they are actually the only ones I could think of. Meanwhile I remembered there are also some 2D birds in the Bog of Murk which aren't included in the Wiki yet either, but that's basically it. If you know of any other R3 creatures (2D or 3D) not included in the Wiki, I'd be interested to know. :)
boomboleros7 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:05 pm Hm... The "mar" in "mar_mosk_spritegen" is probably for "marais" (French name for "marsh").
I think we can use this, and "sctvOUT_mosquitoes".
So their name would be "marsh mosquito".
Or "marshes mosquito"? I have a doubt for the singular form.
I'm pretty sure the "mar" is just meant to specify the level they belong to. The R3 textures have a folder called "maraisbego". In this folder there are (probably) all textures that are specific to BOM, most of which are named mar_XXX. The other textures in this folder are named raz_XXX which are probably most of the textures in BOM part 5 and 6, i.e. the parts with Razoff.

In general, the first part of the names is usually not related to the object's real name. In BOM part 1 the insects are called "sctvOUT_mosquitoes" (maybe sct is for "sector"), in BOM part 2 "IPO_OUT_mosquitoes".
boomboleros7 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:05 pm Concerning the name, again as Hunch said, the article for the giant mosquitoes isn't the place to talk about them.
Oh, I didn't know it was for the big kind of mosquitoes only. In this case, maybe we could name them "Mosquito (small)" or something like that. Might not be optimal, but I can't think of anything better for now.
boomboleros7 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:05 pmSprites [...]
So, as for objects and major characters, are you proposing to simply not include any sprites in the respective article, if there's only one or two available?
In some cases, such as the Cage article, I saw that sprites are put on the right side of a page, separately from other (larger) images. Assuming this sprite is the only one for a cage, what do you think should be done with it (leave it as it is, remove it, put it somewhere/somehow different)? Personally I think that removing it would be a bit unfortunate, and moving it to another section might be a bit confusing. But I can probably be convinced otherwise. :P
FC: 51.570 | CF: 129.750 | BOM: 100.899 | LOTLD: 122.659 | DOTK: 110.929 | LS: 45.340 | SBTC: 111.459 | HH: 119.849 | TOTL: 110.499

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I like "marsh mosquito", too!
boomboleros7
Mr Stone

Post by boomboleros7 »

1234 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:00 pm Meanwhile I remembered there are also some 2D birds in the Bog of Murk which aren't included in the Wiki yet either, but that's basically it. If you know of any other R3 creatures (2D or 3D) not included in the Wiki, I'd be interested to know. :)
I also thought about the 2D birds in the Bog of Murk and the Desert of the Knaarens. :)
They are mentioned on the French page for birds, which is pretty enough.
PluMGMK wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 pm don't those prefixes normally stand for the names of the developers who inserted/scripted the object? I could be wrong…
I already hear that before. :?: Doesn't seems to be the case in Rayman 3, however, considering that 1234 said.
1234 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:00 pm The R3 textures have a folder called "maraisbego".
So "les marais de Bégoniax".
Funny, this is the French name of the Swamp of Bégoniax in Rayman 3 on GBA.
1234 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:00 pm In this case, maybe we could name them "Mosquito (small)" or something like that. Might not be optimal, but I can't think of anything better for now.
"Small mosquito" would be better, like "Small spider" or "Small bird".

But "Marsh mosquito" seems more popular, so I suggest we choose this one.

Plus, these Bog of Murk mosquitoes have a curious Lum-shaped body, they aren't tiny versions of the giant mosquitoes we know since the first Rayman.
"Marsh mosquito" will highlight this particularity more than "Small mosquito".
1234 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:00 pm So, as for objects and major characters, are you proposing to simply not include any sprites in the respective article, if there's only one or two available?
In some cases, such as the Cage article, I saw that sprites are put on the right side of a page, separately from other (larger) images. Assuming this sprite is the only one for a cage, what do you think should be done with it (leave it as it is, remove it, put it somewhere/somehow different)? Personally I think that removing it would be a bit unfortunate, and moving it to another section might be a bit confusing. But I can probably be convinced otherwise. :P
Well, speaking of case by case...

There is no problem with the sprites of Rayman 1 and Rayman Origins on the cage page. It's not like on the Hoodstormer page.

I suppose by doing some tries with the edit function, we could find a better presentation for the pages which already have a small sprite.
It will tell us if the same method can be used for other pages, or if we need to think something else.

Dragon Médiéval

Post by 1234 »

boomboleros7 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:26 pm I also thought about the 2D birds in the Bog of Murk and the Desert of the Knaarens. :)
They are mentioned on the French page for birds, which is pretty enough.
Nice! On occasion I might include a screenshot of them. Then, once we've also taken care of the mosquitoes, we should have all R3 creatures incl. pictures on the Wiki, I think. :D
boomboleros7 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:26 pm But "Marsh mosquito" seems more popular, so I suggest we choose this one.
Basically I like the sound of the name as well, and if it's the general consensus, I'll use it when creating the page. However, in a way I think it might be a bit misleading since "Marsh mosquito" sounds like an official name. However, all we know is that it's a creature from the species mosquito.

A similar example would be Carmen from Rayman 2: In the game files she is simply called "whale". If we didn't know her real name, it might have also been best to create an article about the species whale or "aquatic animals" instead of (semi-)inventing a name like "Bay whale".

Unless another idea arises, we can maybe still use "Marsh mosquito" for now and simply mention in the article that it's not the official name. I doubt a lot of people will be interested in this creature anyway. :P
boomboleros7 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:26 pm I suppose by doing some tries with the edit function, we could find a better presentation for the pages which already have a small sprite.
It will tell us if the same method can be used for other pages, or if we need to think something else.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea! Maybe next weekend I'll try out some possibilities. :)

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

1234 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 am Unless another idea arises, we can maybe still use "Marsh mosquito" for now and simply mention in the article that it's not the official name. I doubt a lot of people will be interested in this creature anyway. :P
This is what we usually do when the official name is unknown, for example with red monsters.
1234 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am I don't have many images (only about 15 +-5), so if it's too much of a hassle to enable svg files, it might not be worth it, especially since it's probably just for the Flash games.
Sorry, I kinda forgot about this. After a quick security review I think the best course of action is for us to keep SVG uploads disabled by default and only allow them on a temporary basis when a trusted user requests it. So, just let me know when you're ready to post them and I'll activate the extension for you. ;)
Dragon Médiéval

Post by 1234 »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:35 pm This is what we usually do when the official name is unknown, for example with red monsters.
Ah ok, I didn't know that. In this case, Marsh mosquito it is! :mryellow:
Incidentally, do you know how the R3 screenshots on the Wiki were taken? I don't see a way to get rid of the HUD (at least not without mods), and the snapshot mode only creates 512x512 images, unlike the ones from the Wiki with a res of 1024x768 (such as e.g. this one).
Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:35 pm Sorry, I kinda forgot about this. After a quick security review I think the best course of action is for us to keep SVG uploads disabled by default and only allow them on a temporary basis when a trusted user requests it. So, just let me know when you're ready to post them and I'll activate the extension for you. ;)
Thanks! I think maybe Saturday will be best, but I'll let you know via PM. :)
1234 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 am Yes, that sounds like a good idea! Maybe next weekend I'll try out some possibilities. :)
Well, I did:
1.) Infoboxes (For demonstration I simply used the enemy template)
Test1.png
Test1.png (73.62 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
2.) Image on the right
Test2.png
Test2.png (67.9 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
3.) Sprite section
Test3.png
Test3.png (70.86 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
4.) No sprite
(I guess you can imagine that.)

Which of these four options would you say is best, if any at all? Can this be generalized for all (or most) sprites depicting objects?

Personally, I think the first one looks best. The third one seems also quite good, though in case of longer articles with multiple sections/games it might get a bit confusing (as I already mentioned in the case of the cage article). The last option probably wouldn't look bad either, but I guess it's not optimal for obvious reasons. The second one doesn't appear quite as nice as the other ones imo.

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I agree that in this case the first one looks best. Also, just nitpicking here but only the word Lum should be capitalized, meaning it's "light blue Lums". We only use title case when it comes from official material.

As for Rayman 3 screenshots, is it not possible to make the HUD disappear while in snapshot mode and then take a regular screenshot? I'm sure there's a technique because most of the recent screenshots are high-res.
boomboleros7
Mr Stone

Post by boomboleros7 »

1234 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:04 pm Incidentally, do you know how the R3 screenshots on the Wiki were taken?
My last screenshot session on Rayman 3 was a long time ago... I don't remember how I took my pictures...

Maybe it was like Hunch said, use Freeze mode, screen capture key and software like Paint to get a good screenshot.
1234 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:04 pm Which of these four options would you say is best, if any at all?
I also think the first option with the infobox is better for this page. :)

Dragon Médiéval

Post by 1234 »

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:59 pm I agree that in this case the first one looks best. Also, just nitpicking here but only the word Lum should be capitalized, meaning it's "light blue Lums". We only use title case when it comes from official material.
All right, done!
Since I couldn't find a fitting template for the infobox, I've created a new one called "Objects". I hope something like that didn't exist already.
Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:59 pm As for Rayman 3 screenshots, is it not possible to make the HUD disappear while in snapshot mode and then take a regular screenshot? I'm sure there's a technique because most of the recent screenshots are high-res.
boomboleros7 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:40 pm Maybe it was like Hunch said, use Freeze mode, screen capture key and software like Paint to get a good screenshot.
In snapshot mode there is usually a text overlay. However, when pressing Enter in this mode, you actually have about 0.5 seconds without any such interference. While not optimal, you can still use it to take some nice screenshots, so thanks! :)

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Looking great, well done! :up:
boomboleros7
Mr Stone

Post by boomboleros7 »

Good job, this is indeed a good presentation for these pages. :)

I took care of the French versions, and I added two lines on the Object template: "Resistance" and "Attacks". It may be useful for some objects which need to be hit or avoided by Rayman.

Dragon Médiéval

Post by 1234 »

Thanks! :)
Yes, "Resistance" and "Attacks" might come in handy in some cases. Maybe something like "Point value" could also be added for certain R3 objects, i.e. the amount of points you get for destroying/interacting with the respective object. So far, I think this information has been missing in most articles.

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Just wanted to say thank you to RayCarrot who, after almost four years as RayWiki administrator, has decided to step down and focus on other ventures. More than ever, everyone else's is more than welcome to maintain and improve the wiki!
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Thanks a lot to RayCarrot for his contributions to the site, the localization files that he made available were pretty useful to find names and other texts in other languages.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102730

Post by PluMGMK »

I wonder if it's time to replace this little icon? Image It's really low-res, and lacking transparency so it looks kinda OK in its usual context, and really gammy on mobile (at least for me where for some reason everything is white like Wikipedia). Perhaps we could use Raymap to take some screenshots and make a new APNG version with an alpha channel? It seems that all the currently-developed browsers now support this format, so there's no real reason to stick with GIF anymore…