A Fangame Article?

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Phoenixan
Ursula
Tings: 26333

A Fangame Article?

Post by Phoenixan »

From a post in the FUS game topic by H801, I'm wondering if there should instead, for the time being, an overall fangame article of sorts, directing to the various fangames that have been made or concepted over the years that are most notable, maybe put together kind of like these articles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Half-Life_2_mods (like this maybe with some pictures/short information added)
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/MINERVA (or string together multiple games on the page for the time being until more information comes out for each, but format the shots like this, somewhat)

Anyway, throw some ideas in if you approve or just say that you disapprove (because, we can look at games like the Rayman Fangame Project or Rayman M2 and notice how things can fall apart).

So far, the games I can think of listing anyway:
- Rayman M2 (Even though I think it'll never be finished, it does have its place in history)
- Master of the Dark Sun
- Fire Under Siege
- Rayman 1-2
- Rayman DX

Now, on the other hand, the forum is stated to be about official game information anyway from the rules, but since so many of these things pop up, I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave a small note about it like, well, information about game mods or other freeware games.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Re: A Fangame Article?

Post by Hunchman801 »

I totally agree with this idea :D The rules are here to prevent people from adding random things, but anything somehow related to Rayman is welcome. For instance, someone created an article about RaymanZone last week.
I would even suggest creating an article about fangames in general, as well as articles for the most important of them.
El Dango
Aline Louïa
Tings: 105675

Post by El Dango »

Rayman 1-2 looks cool.
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
(If you don't wanna, however, that's perfectly okay (I'm hardly a role model))
Phoenixan
Ursula

Post by Phoenixan »

Alright. :) I'll get to that later on. I just got a new laptop, and I'm setting it up and stuff.

GAMING ON THE GO, BABY. YEEEHAAAWW.
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Post by Cairnie »

Yeah I think I applied the rule that only the most notable of fangames could be included, because I had to remove stupid edits that were about Rayman pairings being equivalent of Thomas the Tank Engine pairings...whut. Oh and I said that communities like Raymanzone were permitted so you needn't worry about that.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

Maybe there should be a Pirate-Community article. And one about Phoebius's thing.
Phoenixan
Ursula

Post by Phoenixan »

StaceyW wrote:Yeah I think I applied the rule that only the most notable of fangames could be included, because I had to remove stupid edits that were about Rayman pairings being equivalent of Thomas the Tank Engine pairings...whut. Oh and I said that communities like Raymanzone were permitted so you needn't worry about that.
Yes, it does also need to be controlled to the point where only the things that have passed through... eh.. certain development stages should pass through.

I mean, we can't allow the people that simply say, "OMG I HAVE THIS GREAT IDEA! I NEED A TEAM! I NEED A PROGRAMMER, AN ARTIST, AND A GUY WHO KNOWS C++, BECAUSE I HEAR C++ IS GREAT AND AWESOME!!"

I see that a lot on RZ these days, though that's a plague that haunts all game and gave dev. communities.

*sigh*

Downloading messenger, and it's taking forever.
Cairnie
Murfy

Post by Cairnie »

This is what piddles me off about wannabe "game designers". They're usually under 13 and think they'll be the next Miyamoto before they even drop their balls. Hell I even think about game design a lot but then I have to think to myself, how could I do it and how long would it take? The world does not need anymore Bob's Games.

so wuz old psn banner

Phoenixan
Ursula

Post by Phoenixan »

One BIG mistake I can tell you that I've made, and this is the reason why FUS has taken me so long: You need to start small, not big.

I mean, before I could finally figure out decent platforming physics, I had to figure out how to make simpler games... Like tetris. :P
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

spiraldoor wrote:Maybe there should be a Pirate-Community article.
The guy who wrote the RZ article sent me a PM to ask me first, and he mentioned both PC and RZ, so I guess he's going to take care of it.
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

If fangames get their own articles, I think betas of official games should too.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as there is enough content.
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

The 2D R2 beta. We have plenty of stuff on that.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Go ahead then ;)
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

I probably will...eventually. :mefiant:
El Dango
Aline Louïa
Tings: 105675

Post by El Dango »

Or in other words: Never. :fou:
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
(If you don't wanna, however, that's perfectly okay (I'm hardly a role model))
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Maybe the article should be called "Ray2Beta", since that's what it's called in the R1 PS1 disc files?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

It's just a file name. Rayman 2 (beta version) seems more appropriate.
Cairnie
Murfy

Post by Cairnie »

Hunchman801 wrote:It's just a file name. Rayman 2 (beta version) seems more appropriate.
Highly agreeing, though the better title would be something like "Rayman 2 (2D prototype)" since "beta" usually refers to a version that's just used for bug testing.

As for the Rayman 1 one, I'd call an article about that "Rayman (Early Jaguar prototype) or something.

so wuz old psn banner

spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

And the Nova beta should be called..."Rayman (Late Jaguar Prototype)"? Or perhaps a single page for both Jaguar prototypes.