Front page stuff [Come here to suggest featured items!]

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Re: Front page stuff [Come here to suggest featured items!]

Post by Master »

Given how we don't really update any of the featured content (and when we do, it's usually on a whim), I'm beginning to wonder if we should perform an overhaul of the front page so it's of greater utility to users. Drop the featured content sections, and expand navigation and news.

Also, should we switch the RayWiki logo on the welcome bar to the one used on all pages?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Maybe someone could volunteer to update the featured content instead? Once a week would be more than enough.

As for the logo, well the same one would appear twice then, maybe it would good to simply remove it? Or add a PC logo there?
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Given how editorship on the Wiki is pretty much at a lull, and we don't really have a featured article awarding system, I'm not really sure if it'd work out.

I agree that having the same logo twice would be redundant, maybe just remove it altogether?
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

I've been quite active on the wiki lately and might be able to update the featured content. I'd however imagine it'd eventually be hard to find new things to write about there, so I'm not sure if updating weekly is really a good idea. What about every third week or something similar? I don't even think there are enough people visiting the first page to see updates if they happen every week.
The "Good new articles" and "Articles that need help" probably need updating as well. Those "new" articles are rather old now. I'm not sure if that's something which can really be updated either considering how seldom new articles are made, and if they are, they are usually pretty short. Although the "Articles that need help" is a good idea, it does kind of overlap with "Things to do", and although the articles listed are indeed need of some expansions, there are a bunch of other articles with an even bigger need of more content.
Also, the daily bubble, should that list all Rayman news? For example, should the news about the snes prototype be there? And Rayman Adventures updates, such as the Winter Event one? Or is it simply for new releases and major news?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Master wrote:I agree that having the same logo twice would be redundant, maybe just remove it altogether?
I tried but it looks kinda empty, I wonder what else we could do with it.
Carrot-master wrote:I've been quite active on the wiki lately and might be able to update the featured content. I'd however imagine it'd eventually be hard to find new things to write about there, so I'm not sure if updating weekly is really a good idea. What about every third week or something similar? I don't even think there are enough people visiting the first page to see updates if they happen every week.
Well, you don't really need to write anything. All you've got to do is edit the template to include the beginning of the featured article (copy-pasted, potentially shortened if need be), an image that represents it and a link to it. If you can do it every week, that's great. If not, every few weeks will be fine. ;)
Carrot-master wrote:The "Good new articles" and "Articles that need help" probably need updating as well. Those "new" articles are rather old now. I'm not sure if that's something which can really be updated either considering how seldom new articles are made, and if they are, they are usually pretty short. Although the "Articles that need help" is a good idea, it does kind of overlap with "Things to do", and although the articles listed are indeed need of some expansions, there are a bunch of other articles with an even bigger need of more content.
That's a good point, we might want to remove the “Good new articles” and keep only one of “Things to do” and “Articles that need help”. Any ideas to replace those?
Carrot-master wrote:Also, the daily bubble, should that list all Rayman news? For example, should the news about the snes prototype be there? And Rayman Adventures updates, such as the Winter Event one? Or is it simply for new releases and major news?
Yes to all, minor news are fine! Else this won't get edited more than once a year. :lol:
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Hunchman801 wrote:Well, you don't really need to write anything. All you've got to do is edit the template to include the beginning of the featured article (copy-pasted, potentially shortened if need be), an image that represents it and a link to it. If you can do it every week, that's great. If not, every few weeks will be fine. ;)
Okay, well then I could update the featured article once a week. I assume the featured quote doesn't need to be updated then? Also, when choosing an article, should I always try to find the ones which are most complete then?
But right now I don't have the option to edit the page as it's protected.
Hunchman801 wrote:That's a good point, we might want to remove the “Good new articles” and keep only one of “Things to do” and “Articles that need help”. Any ideas to replace those?
Hm, maybe something like "needed images"? There are a few places, such as the Hoodlums' Revenge articles, where there's the "no image" picture instead of a screenshot.
Hunchman801 wrote:Yes to all, minor news are fine! Else this won't get edited more than once a year. :lol:
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought :P
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Carrot-master wrote:Okay, well then I could update the featured article once a week. I assume the featured quote doesn't need to be updated then? Also, when choosing an article, should I always try to find the ones which are most complete then?
But right now I don't have the option to edit the page as it's protected.
Well, you could also edit the featured quote and featured image; doing it on a monthly basis is probably fine! I've removed the protections so that you can edit them. :)
Carrot-master wrote:Hm, maybe something like "needed images"? There are a few places, such as the Hoodlums' Revenge articles, where there's the "no image" picture instead of a screenshot.
Well that should be part of “Things to do”, I believe.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Hunchman801 wrote:Well, you could also edit the featured quote and featured image; doing it on a monthly basis is probably fine! I've removed the protections so that you can edit them. :)
I updated all of the templates now. I'll try and remember to keep the featured article one updated once a week! :)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Looking great, thanks! :D
arnoldfranklin
Carnivora
Tings: 12665

Post by arnoldfranklin »

Oh, some articles that need help for that category on the home page https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Main_Page are the Rayman Raving Rabbids levels aritlcles https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Category:M ... ng_Rabbids (Home console version). They either could use bigger pages and stuff. This is for the "Aritcles that need help category if anyone would add it there please. :)
You don't have to, though. It's just something that I think could use some help.
"I am the greatest hero of all time. I get three Globox stamps." ~ Globox himself
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Many of those articles are already under the category of "Articles requiring expansion" (not all of them), but I guess it would make sense to add the entire category as an item of the "Articles that need help" list.

I would also suggest to add a link to the title "Articles that need help" (from the Main Page), that directs to the category Articles requiring expansion, and/or add a line at the bottom of the list that says "More articles that need help" that directs you to the same link.
arnoldfranklin
Carnivora

Post by arnoldfranklin »

How do I edit the fun facts page? Also the featured article?
"I am the greatest hero of all time. I get three Globox stamps." ~ Globox himself
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

The front page is protected, I think you have to make the suggestions first and if they're approved someone will add them. For the "Did you know?" section, I guess you can also use the discussion page for the template to make the suggestions.
arnoldfranklin
Carnivora

Post by arnoldfranklin »

Okay, thanks Elite. That's cool. I'm thinking the featured article should be Rayman 4 although I have mentioned it before on the forum once. :D