Names in other languages?

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Raymanien
Créature
Tings: 330

Names in other languages?

Post by Raymanien »

Don't underestimate the power of the Heavy Metal Fish.

Current rank: Matuvu[el/b]. Beep! Look at me!
Past rank: Tribelle. Shh. Press SHIFT when coming to mah or I'll make a spaghetti a'la Wiertara Kopara from you!
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Re: Names in other languages?

Post by Cairnie »

We already do in some cases. There's already a French and German Wiki in which some articles have language links at the side. We were looking into maybe putting other languages eg. Spanish and Polish in but that only depends on whether people who speak them are willing to keep working on it.

In I think one article, I put a table for alternative names for a game title [even I hadn't been entirely sure about translations here]. These should only be used if there are lots of alternative titles in different languages.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78135

Post by The Jonster »

So there's French, German, and interestingly no Spanish....hmm...
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102730

Post by PluMGMK »

The Jonster wrote:So there's French, German, and interestingly no Spanish....hmm...
No Spanish on what?
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78135

Post by The Jonster »

Ok I said it wrong, are there any pages translated in Spanish? I actually never found out if there were.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

The Jonster wrote:Ok I said it wrong, are there any pages translated in Spanish? I actually never found out if there were.
I'm pretty sure there's a Spanish wiki, yes. Probably doesn't have a lot of articles though…
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Since this discussion is now about the different languages covered by RayWiki, I'll take the opportunity to announce that we launched a Russian version of RayWiki last night. Special thanks to Rubber for his invaluable help. :bigup:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Yay!
Люмы (иногда Лумы, или Цвета, англ: Lums)
So the pronunciation nonsense is even captured in spelling there. :fou:
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Is this about the "Looms"? :fou:

EDIT: Rubber is doing a great job on it. I can't understand Russian, but I can see that he has contributed a lot to it. :D
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Yep. Looks like it can be "Lumes" or "Looms", although not "Lums". :P
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

As if it weren't complicated enough! From what I understand, it looks like Лум was used in Rayman 2, and that they later switched to Люм. Same with Тинси and Малютка, it seems.
#Rubber mark#
Murfy
Tings: 83021

Post by #Rubber mark# »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:39 pm Special thanks to Rubber for his invaluable help. :bigup:
I must thank Matyuv and Illegal for this, they were a great help and there wouldn't be a Russian wiki without them. 🤗
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, thanks to the three of you then!
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Very glad to hear and see that there's now a Russian wiki! :mrgreen:

Also, congrats Rubber, Illegal and Matyuv! And thanks! :)
#Rubber mark#
Murfy

Post by #Rubber mark# »

Thank you, Aaron! Can't wait to see it grow. 🤗
Lysol
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Lysol »

Good job guys!
#Rubber mark#
Murfy

Post by #Rubber mark# »

Thank you, Lysol!

And thanks to our new user, the Russian wiki keeps growing. 😊
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Btw, does anyone know where I can find the official spanish names for all the Robo-Pirate models (except Henchman 800 and 1000, their names appear in the manuals)? I tried using the Wayback Machine to see an old Rayman 2 website, but some pages don't load properly.

Edit: The names of Ninjaws and the Ninja Henchmen appear in cutscenes, but I'm still looking for a mention of the Gorilla Pirate, the Spyglass Pirate, the Barrel Pirate and the Robot Dinasour.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

According to RayWiki, the name of the Robot Dinosaur is mentioned in the PlayStation version, so I suppose you would have to play (or watch a playthrough of) the Gloomy Island in Spanish.

The only official sources for the Gorilla Pirate are in French, so its name is merely a literal translation of "Pirate Gorille". I would therefore suggest we do the same for Spanish; maybe something along the lines of "Pirata Gorilla"?

There doesn't seem to be an English source either for the Spyglass Pirate either; all we have is "Pirate Lunette" from some early French artworks and "Creole Pirate" from the German version of the official Rayman 2 website. Therefore, we could probably go with "Pirata Catalejo" while also mentioning "Pirata criollo" as a secondary name.

And finally, I've searched the wiki and the forum, but I can't seem to find the source for the Barrel Pirate. There are, however, official sources for its French name, "tonneau à pattes" (literally, "barrel with legs"/"legged barrel").
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:47 am According to RayWiki, the name of the Robot Dinosaur is mentioned in the PlayStation version, so I suppose you would have to play (or watch a playthrough of) the Gloomy Island in Spanish.

The only official sources for the Gorilla Pirate are in French, so its name is merely a literal translation of "Pirate Gorille". I would therefore suggest we do the same for Spanish; maybe something along the lines of "Pirata Gorilla"?

There doesn't seem to be an English source either for the Spyglass Pirate either; all we have is "Pirate Lunette" from some early French artworks and "Creole Pirate" from the German version of the official Rayman 2 website. Therefore, we could probably go with "Pirata Catalejo" while also mentioning "Pirata criollo" as a secondary name.

And finally, I've searched the wiki and the forum, but I can't seem to find the source for the Barrel Pirate. There are, however, official sources for its French name, "tonneau à pattes" (literally, "barrel with legs"/"legged barrel").
Thanks a lot for the information, I'll look for a spanish playthrough/let's play of the PlayStation version. About the Gorilla Pirate, it seems that the Rayman Fanpage also translated it as "Pirata Gorilla". In case of the Barrel Pirate, should his name be "Pirata Barril"?