Names in other languages?

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Re: Names in other languages?

Post by Hunchman801 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:11 am I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but in the Rayman Fanpage there is a mention of the spanish manual (in "CARACTERISTICAS TÉCNICAS"):

http://www.rayman-fanpage.de/character1 ... spanol.htm
This could very well be from the manual I'm thinking about, however I was hoping to find a scan for it.
Elite Piranha wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:42 pm Btw, I noticed that the world names that can be found in the Rayman 3 (Game Boy Advance) spanish page are different from the ones that can be found in the manual. I watched a video of the game (min. 7:59) and it seems that the name of the first world (Los bosques del olvido) coincides with the manual. I assume the world/level names that appear in the wiki page are fan translations.
Yeah, they appear to be unofficial and should definitely be replaced with the correct names.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:11 pm
Elite Piranha wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:11 am I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but in the Rayman Fanpage there is a mention of the spanish manual (in "CARACTERISTICAS TÉCNICAS"):

http://www.rayman-fanpage.de/character1 ... spanol.htm
This could very well be from the manual I'm thinking about, however I was hoping to find a scan for it.
I have only seen the spanish manual for Rayman Advance and the one for PlayStation Classic. In https://archive.org you can find a manual of the Atari Jaguar version (which includes 3 languages), but it doesn't include spanish. Sorry I was not able to help.
Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:11 pm Yeah, they appear to be unofficial and should definitely be replaced with the correct names.
Ok, I'll replace them later.

Another thing, it seems that the "Bonus levels" from Rayman 2 were never translated (even if you choose the spanish language in the game), so I was wondering if it's ok to refer to them as "Niveles de bonificación" in the articles.

Also, I hope you and everyone else are doing ok :mrgreen:.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

If it is of any use, Rayman Classic contains full localizations for a ton of languages, including Spanish etc. I can upload the files if you'd like.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:47 pm Another thing, it seems that the "Bonus levels" from Rayman 2 were never translated (even if you choose the spanish language in the game), so I was wondering if it's ok to refer to them as "Niveles de bonificación" in the articles.
I think it's fine!
Elite Piranha wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:47 pm Also, I hope you and everyone else are doing ok :mrgreen:.
All good, thanks. Working from home at the moment, with more than enough to keep me busy! Hope all is good for you too.
RayCarrot wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:06 pm If it is of any use, Rayman Classic contains full localizations for a ton of languages, including Spanish etc. I can upload the files if you'd like.
Oh, what are those languages? It certainly won't replace the older official names I'm hoping to find in that manual but it would be good to have them too. Not to mention there could be languages for which we have no translations yet.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 pm All good, thanks. Working from home at the moment, with more than enough to keep me busy! Hope all is good for you too.
Thanks, for the time being I'm translating the Spyglass Pirate article, if I can I might work on other articles.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 pm
RayCarrot wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:06 pm If it is of any use, Rayman Classic contains full localizations for a ton of languages, including Spanish etc. I can upload the files if you'd like.
Oh, what are those languages? It certainly won't replace the older official names I'm hoping to find in that manual but it would be good to have them too. Not to mention there could be languages for which we have no translations yet.
I've uploaded them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ut5oT ... 3EYr8nv5-h
We're not entirely sure when these were made. The Japanese one does not match the translation from the Japanese PC version. I don't believe these can be used in the mobile game either, even though the files are there.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks!
RayCarrot wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:44 am We're not entirely sure when these were made. The Japanese one does not match the translation from the Japanese PC version. I don't believe these can be used in the mobile game either, even though the files are there.
Paying for some additional localization was certainly much easier than getting their hands on a Japanese version of the game. The Italian and Spanish translations are also different from the ones in Rayman Advance. However, while the Italian version was only slightly modified, the Spanish one is completely different and appears to have been translated from scratch. I'm not sure how they compare to the DSi version, which may also be slightly different from Rayman Advance.

However, one amazing discovery here is the presence of a Russian translation. Now we have official names for the first game, I wonder if Rayman 2 for iOS could also have been translated into Russian.
Duraner Hawkeye
Lums
Tings: 35

Post by Duraner Hawkeye »

Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:46 pm Guys, I'm pretty sure there's a version of the manual for the original game which includes Italian and Spanish translations, despite the game not being available in those languages (I even mentioned it here recently). I wanted to double check some of those names but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anybody know what I'm talking about, or am I going crazy? :fou:
I own the Sega Saturn manual of the original Rayman, which includes the Italian and Spanish translations, I uploaded the scans on Google Drive: Link
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3466

Post by raymanHUN »

I had Rayman M in hungarian, and most of the names were translated (including levels as well). I think except for Legends and Origins, none of the other games got a translation, but I don't have the hungarian version of those, so I don't know if they used the names from M, or went with new/the original ones. I'll try to make M work on my laptop so I can take a few screenshots, but for the time being here they are:

Rayman -> Rayman (it's the same)
Globox -> Gombóc (~dumbpling)
Teensies -> Pöttömök (~tiny ones)
Henchman 800/1000 -> Csatlós 800/1000 (means the same)
Razorbeard -> Pengeszakáll (~blade beard)
Razorwife -> Pengéné (~Mrs. Razor)
Tily -> Dili (~crazy, silly, but in a cute way, like when you don't want to offend someone when they say something stupid "don't be so silly")
minimalism
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Duraner Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:24 pm I own the Sega Saturn manual of the original Rayman, which includes the Italian and Spanish translations, I uploaded the scans on Google Drive: Link
Amazing, this is exactly what I was talking about. Let's see if we can create a PDF out of this and upload it to the wiki. I'm pretty sure I have the same thing for the PC version in the family house but right now isn't exactly the best time to visit.

Incidentally, it is your edits on the Italian wiki that prompted me to verify this information. Our naming convention for articles is to pick the oldest official name, while also mentioning the others in chronological order. That's why the names from the manual were chosen for the world articles:
  • La Foresta delle Meraviglie
  • Territorio della Banda
  • Montagne Blu
  • La Città delle Fotografie
  • Le Grotte di Skops
  • Il Castello dei Dolci
Now the game wasn't fully translated until Rayman Advance, so we used the following for the level names (and mentioned the alternate world names in the articles too):
  • Foresta Incantata
    • Foresta Primordiale
    • Laguna della Paura
    • Paludi dell'Oblio
    • Covo delle Zanzare
  • Terra della Musica
    • Colline dei Bonghi
    • Allegro Presto
    • Gong Celeste
    • Hullaballoo di Mr. Sax
  • Montagne Blu
    • Burrone del Crepuscolo
    • Caos del Terrore
    • Monti di Mr. Stone
  • Immaginopoli
    • Pianure del Pianto
    • Pentathlon della Matita
    • Cratere della Mamma Spaziale
  • Caverne di Skops
    • Palazzo di Cristallo
    • A Pranzo da Joe
    • Stalattiti di Mr. Skop
  • Regno dei Dolci
    • Sfida di Mr. Dark
I also noticed that you mentioned "Le Grandi Rocce" as an alternate name for "Caos del Terrore" in the DSi version. I don't have the list of names for that version, but it would be good to get them too.

And finally, here's the list in Rayman Classic. Some of differences are minor (e.g. Hullaballoo/Hullabaloo, della Mamma/di Mamma) but there are some interesting changes to the Caves of Skops and Candy Château.
  • Foresta Incantata
    • Foresta Primordiale
    • Laguna della Paura
    • Paludi dell'Oblio
    • Covo delle Zanzare
  • Terra della Musica
    • Colline dei Bonghi
    • Allegro Presto
    • Gong Celeste
    • Hullabaloo di Mr. Sax
  • Montagne Blu
    • Burrone del Crepuscolo
    • Caos del Terrore
    • Monti di Mr. Stone
  • Immaginopoli
    • Pianure del Pianto
    • Pentathlon della Matita
    • Cratere di Mamma Spaziale
  • Grotte di Skops
    • Caverne di Cristallo
    • A Pranzo da Joe
    • Palazzo di Mr. Skops
  • Château dei Dolci
    • Sfida di Mr. Dark
So, yeah, I think we should make a table with all the names, and switch back to using the earliest official ones for article titles. And why not add references to indicate where some of the names originate from, because in some cases there may be as many as three or four.
raymanHUN wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:46 pm I had Rayman M in hungarian, and most of the names were translated (including levels as well). I think except for Legends and Origins, none of the other games got a translation, but I don't have the hungarian version of those, so I don't know if they used the names from M, or went with new/the original ones. I'll try to make M work on my laptop so I can take a few screenshots, but for the time being here they are:

Tily -> Dili (~crazy, silly, but in a cute way, like when you don't want to offend someone when they say something stupid "don't be so silly")
Interesting find! I didn't know that Origins and Legends got translated. This must be a different edition (like the Polish, Hebrew or Russian Rayman 3) because Hungarian isn't present in Carrot's files. Getting our hands on these would be incredibly useful too.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

"Territorio della Banda"? Really? Talk about the worst of all worlds… :boon:
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

PluMGMK wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:04 pm "Territorio della Banda"? Really? Talk about the worst of all worlds… :boon:
Yeah, clearly not all translations are born equal. :mrgreen: It's the oldest official name we have, though.
ZelenPixel
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2255

Post by ZelenPixel »

r1 russian translation?? oh this slaps
i do wanna bring up something related. how much do unused lines count as official name translations?? cause since uglette and tarayzan were both planned to be in origins their descriptions did get translated. think we only found what uglettes russian name was though which is мурлетта (viewtopic.php?p=1364751#p1364751)
some other unused descriptions do mention other characters too so its worth looking into i feel
Dear Mario,

Where am i
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:52 pm
PluMGMK wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:04 pm "Territorio della Banda"? Really? Talk about the worst of all worlds… :boon:
Yeah, clearly not all translations are born equal. :mrgreen: It's the oldest official name we have, though.
Pity it doesn't seem to have occurred to any official translator to use "Cielo Cromatico" though. :sad: (Unless I'm missing some obvious reason it wouldn't work as well in Italian? :oops2:)
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

RayCarrot wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:44 am I've uploaded them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ut5oT ... 3EYr8nv5-h
Duraner Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:24 pm I own the Sega Saturn manual of the original Rayman, which includes the Italian and Spanish translations, I uploaded the scans on Google Drive: Link
Amazing contributions! Btw, I wonder if there would be any problem if we upload the Rayman manuals (that can obtained from the official Nintendo site) to the wiki. I tried to make a copy of them in the Wayback Machine, but it seems that those urls are excluded from the site (possibly because of Nintendo's request).
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3466

Post by raymanHUN »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:55 pm
raymanHUN wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:46 pm I had Rayman M in hungarian, and most of the names were translated (including levels as well). I think except for Legends and Origins, none of the other games got a translation, but I don't have the hungarian version of those, so I don't know if they used the names from M, or went with new/the original ones. I'll try to make M work on my laptop so I can take a few screenshots, but for the time being here they are:

Interesting find! I didn't know that Origins and Legends got translated. This must be a different edition (like the Polish, Hebrew or Russian Rayman 3) because Hungarian isn't present in Carrot's files. Getting our hands on these would be incredibly useful too.
Okay, so seems like I was mistaken, since apparently Legends never had a hungarian version, but Origins does have it (according to steam and uplay). Sadly, I only own a copy on uplay, and I have yet to find a way to install the launcher on linux, but as soon as I do, I'll make sure to come back to this topic.
minimalism
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

You should try Lutris. I've managed to make Uplay work with it (for Legends) and it should be able to handle the Uplay version of Origins too (I know it does the Steam and GOG ones).
Duraner Hawkeye
Lums
Tings: 35

Post by Duraner Hawkeye »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:55 pm
Amazing, this is exactly what I was talking about. Let's see if we can create a PDF out of this and upload it to the wiki. I'm pretty sure I have the same thing for the PC version in the family house but right now isn't exactly the best time to visit.

Incidentally, it is your edits on the Italian wiki that prompted me to verify this information. Our naming convention for articles is to pick the oldest official name, while also mentioning the others in chronological order. That's why the names from the manual were chosen for the world articles:
  • La Foresta delle Meraviglie
  • Territorio della Banda
  • Montagne Blu
  • La Città delle Fotografie
  • Le Grotte di Skops
  • Il Castello dei Dolci
In my opinion, the most recent name should take priority over the older names, and the names that show up in-game should take priority over the names from the manual. For example: Immaginopoli and not La città delle fotografie.

By the way, I also scanned the manual of the Game Boy Color version of Rayman
12RayChienne9
Carnivora
Tings: 13017

Post by 12RayChienne9 »

I'm going to create the Spanish version of the CullCut article and I have a question: does the Cullcut have a translation in Spanish or is it just keeping its original name? :?:

I started to doubt when I discovered that in the Polish version of the CullCut article, the CullCut has a different name as opposed to its original name.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

12RayChienne9 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:34 pm I'm going to create the Spanish version of the CullCut article and I have a question: does the Cullcut have a translation in Spanish or is it just keeping its original name? :?:

I started to doubt when I discovered that in the Polish version of the CullCut article, the CullCut has a different name as opposed to its original name.
That name came from the flash game "Rayman vs Cullcut":

However, it seems that the page that contained the game was not saved in the Wayback Machine and I don't know if there are images or video of the original game, which was in french. The english translation was made by Drolpiraat and is not official.