Names in other languages?

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
12RayChienne9
Carnivora
Tings: 13017

Re: Names in other languages?

Post by 12RayChienne9 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:46 pm However, it seems that the page that contained the game was not saved in the Wayback Machine and I don't know if there are images or video of the original game, which was in french. The english translation was made by Drolpiraat and is not official.
Ok, thanks.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Btw, I was checking the localization files for Rayman Adventures, and I only found one line that mentions the "Desert Kingdom":
The Sphynxies have won pet of the year 3 times in a row in the desert kingdom. These cute purrballs are very friendly and are especially close to the bandages. No one knows the secrets of the Great Purramids better than the Sphynxies.. And they are here to help!
It seems that in the spanish version, the term "desert kingdom" was not translated:
Los Esfingiminí llevan 3 años seguidos arrasando en el concurso de la Mascota del desierto. Estas cositas son muy amigables, y se pirran por las vendas. Nadie conoce los secretos de las Grandes Pirrrrrrámides mejor que los Esfingiminí. ¡Y quieren ayudarte!
So, I was wondering if the name of the world should be just "Desierto" or "Reino del desierto".
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Duraner Hawkeye wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 pm In my opinion, the most recent name should take priority over the older names, and the names that show up in-game should take priority over the names from the manual. For example: Immaginopoli and not La città delle fotografie.
This is a matter of convention, and there is no right or wrong answer to the question.

A consensus was reached on RayWiki, and it was decided that the older names should prevail. This convention has been in place for over a decade, and it appears to remain as consensual as it was back then.

One of the main reasons for this is that Rayman is a notoriously inconsistent series, despite some people's best efforts to fit all the contradicting lore into one loose, wobbly canon. Names get changed all the time, lots of mistakes are made (anyone remember the infamous 20th anniversary timeline?), so it made sense that, with neither older or newer names being inherently better than the other, we should spare ourselves the effort to constantly move pages and edit articles accordingly.

However, it should be noted that this consensus was reached on the English and French wikis, and that our policy is to give each individual wikis editorial autonomy. In most cases, the rules of the bigger wikis automatically apply to the smaller ones because there's just no active community to make any decisions, but we're always open for discussion.

In this case, I doubt anyone has a preference for badly translated names such as "La Città delle Fotografie", but we've still got to come up with a consistent set of rules when it comes to naming. For example, you mentioned how in-game names should prevail over names from other official sources such as a manual, but which has the highest priority between age (older v. newer references) and source quality (here, game v. manual)? For example, if we decided that age was first, and that newer names should take priority over older ones, then if some stupid name was used tomorrow in a badly translated infographic (and we sure know these things happen), then it would become the new official name.

There are plenty of solutions, though. For example, we could still consider older names as prevailing over more recent ones, but decide that the "in-game" criterion is even more important, and in our case this would allow us to choose the names from Rayman Advance. Let me know what you think, and I'm sure we can work out a consistent set of rules.

Also, please share the level names from the DSi version if you have them! :hap:
Elite Piranha wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:16 pm So, I was wondering if the name of the world should be just "Desierto" or "Reino del desierto".
I would go for the second one, as it is a literal translation of the English name. In the absence of an official Spanish name, this is our best option.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:59 pm
Elite Piranha wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:16 pm So, I was wondering if the name of the world should be just "Desierto" or "Reino del desierto".
I would go for the second one, as it is a literal translation of the English name. In the absence of an official Spanish name, this is our best option.
Ok, thanks for replying, I'll add that name to the Rayman Adventures page.
boomboleros7
Mr Stone
Tings: 68091

Post by boomboleros7 »

RayCarrot wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:52 am I moved them all to a single folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Hello RayCarrot!

Since Rayman Mini has been updated a few days ago, could you please share the 1.2.0 script?
I would like to use it to check some information, like the French descriptions of the new characters.

Thanks in advance!

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

It's already been added to the same folder :)
boomboleros7
Mr Stone
Tings: 68091

Post by boomboleros7 »

Indeed...
Geez, blind as usual... :facepalm:
Well sorry, and thank you! :wink:

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3466

Post by raymanHUN »

Thanks to the suggestion of PluMGMK, I managed to get UPlay to work on linux with lutris, so I booted up Origins, and I gotta say, it works insanely good. As for the topic, indeed, it is translated entirely into hungarian,. Only played the first two levels, but it seems like the translation is rather well done, and most things are translated to mean literally the same thing (names of levels, etc.) I have a few example, but I don't know yet if there is an actual way to get all the texts from the game files, or not.

electoon -> pöttyencs, which means something like a little spot, but in a super-very-cute way. "Pötty" means a tiny spot, and the "-encs" ending is what makes it means something really tiny and cute, it's not used that often in everyday situations
lum -> szikrancs, which means something like a spark, but once again, like a very tiny, cute spark
The Glade of Dreams -> Álomerdő, which means "Dreamforest"
The Snoring Tree -> A Horkoló Fa, which is lterally the same, and this goes for most of the levels, as far as I can tell

Rayman kept his name, as he did in Rayman M, and I'm not sure about the other characters, as I don't know if there is a way to actually check their names in-game, do tell me if there is.
minimalism
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Great news! So there are like, two Rayman games that have been translated into Hungarian. Better than none, I guess. :P

As for characters in Origins, I believe you have to derive their names from what the Bubble Dreamer says when you pull his beard. In case they also translated unused text, it might be interesting to extract the language files. Not sure how this is done but Carrot should know!
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

You can extract the language file like this using the Rayman Control Panel:

- Add Rayman Origins to the program by locating its folder
- Go to the Origins options, go to the utilities tab and open the game's archive
- Go to the "localisation" folder and export the file there
- Close the archive and use the Localization Converter utility to export the file to JSON so it's readable

I'd very much appreciate it if you'd upload the original .loc and converted .json files so I can add them to the Drive folder :)
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3466

Post by raymanHUN »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:51 am Great news! So there are like, two Rayman games that have been translated into Hungarian. Better than none, I guess. :P

As for characters in Origins, I believe you have to derive their names from what the Bubble Dreamer says when you pull his beard. In case they also translated unused text, it might be interesting to extract the language files. Not sure how this is done but Carrot should know!
Haha, yeah, I guess 2 is better than none. Interestingly, I do believe we got more games localized back in the day than nowadays. Doesn't really matter though, as hungarian is only spoken by, well, hungarians, it's extremely important for us to learn at least english, so I guess it's fine that we don't get that many translated games anymore. It's just another way to practice. :D

I tried to pull the beard of the Dreamer, and I realized he uses some hungarian proverbs, as well as the usual stuff, which I found pretty neat. I'll try and see if he talks about the characters.
RayCarrot wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:10 am You can extract the language file like this using the Rayman Control Panel:

- Go to the Origins options, go to the utilities tab and open the game's archive
- Close the archive and use the Localization Converter utility to export the file to JSON so it's readable

I'd very much appreciate it if you'd upload the original .loc and converted .json files so I can add them to the Drive folder :)
Thanks for the instructions (and also thanks Steo for the steps on how to setup RCP on linux). I managed to get the .loc and .json files, if everything went as expected, you should be able to get them from this drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13fwDr ... Ala7nbQygZ
If something is not working, please tell me, so I can fix it. :D
minimalism
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Well, it looks like Hungarian was already in Carrot's files for Rayman Origins. I must've seen it wasn't available for some of the other games and wrongly assumed it was the case for Origins too.

In fact, I thought all UbiArt games were available in the same languages, but clearly they aren't. For example, I just checked Legends, and I recognized Finnish and some Nordic languages, which I assume to be Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. None of them are present in Origins.

Well, for Hungarian, I guess Finnish is the closest you'll get. :mrgreen:
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Thanks! As Hunch said it appears it's identical to the one I uploaded for Steam :)
Regarding Legends, it was indeed translated to a lot more languages! It's one of the few Rayman games in Swedish (only others being Engelska med Rayman and Rayman M that I know of).
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

RayCarrot wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:10 am You can extract the language file like this using the Rayman Control Panel:

Btw, is it possible for you to convert the Rayman 3 localization file to JSON and add it to the Drive folder? If you could do that in the future, that would be a great help.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Sure, I just added the PC localization for Rayman 3. Let me know if you need it from another version :) I also added the localization for Rayman 1 from PS1 and Saturn.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

RayCarrot wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:24 am Sure, I just added the PC localization for Rayman 3. Let me know if you need it from another version :) I also added the localization for Rayman 1 from PS1 and Saturn.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for adding them! :mrgreen:
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Droolie sent me the localization files for the Rayman 3 demos, so I've uploaded them too :) They contain a ton of unused content which should probably be put on the wiki. I know some of it is there, but not very organized (since before everything was found from hex viewing only).

Edit: Added the PS3 Rayman 3 localization file too. It has a lot more text as it contains subtitles.

Edit 2: Thanks to Droolie and icup the folder now has a whole bunch more localization files from the 3D games, with more coming soon too :)
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

That’s great! There are some lines in Rayman 3 that I can’t fully understand, so having access to the subtitles in various languages is a massive help.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Nice, I sadly don't have the time to dig through all that but I can't wait to see what will come out of it!
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Funny how in the spanish dialogues the hostess says “Cuartel General de Black Lumsa” instead of “Cuartel General Hoodlum”. Also, I need more context for this line from the R3 PS2 Demo:

"Kill! I want blood, I want gore! I want a show that's forbidden to anyone under the age of... of... 90!"