Suggestion: Rayman Raving Rabbids Xbox 360's graphics on PC

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
ChileanPleasePlay
Lums
Tings: 25

Suggestion: Rayman Raving Rabbids Xbox 360's graphics on PC

Post by ChileanPleasePlay »

Hello, I wanted to post this because I was thinking about the graphics and textures of the Xbox 360 version of Rayman Raving Rabbids and the HD mod for the PC version of Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc and I tried to search something similar to the HD mod for Rayman 3 but I couldn't find something similar to that for the PC version of Rayman Raving Rabbids and I wanted to ask if it is possible to make a HD mod for the PC version of Rayman Raving Rabbids where someone could bring the graphics and textures enchantments from the Xbox 360 version of Rayman Raving Rabbids to the PC version of the same game so people who owns the PC version of the game but doesn't own the Xbox 360 version could have the graphics and textures enchantments on PC. I know not many people are interested on Rayman Raving Rabbids but I think it would be a cool idea to see someone making a HD mod for Rayman Raving Rabbids (PC) for those who doesn't own a Xbox 360.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Re: Suggestion: Rayman Raving Rabbids Xbox 360's graphics on PC

Post by hoodlumsworld »

For a start, do you know if the textures for the Xbox 360 were extracted?
ChileanPleasePlay
Lums

hoodlumsworld wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:18 pm For a start, do you know if the textures for the Xbox 360 were extracted?
Idk anything about modding, textures, etc. I only wanted to give a suggestion 😔
DavidSosa
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3455

Post by DavidSosa »

maybe reemplazing the .bf of the Xbox version and put it in the directory where you instaled RRR in your pc.
do this:
1.- extract the data of the xbox 360 iso of rayman raving rabbids
2.- find the Rayman4.bf file or anyfile that has the extension .bf
3.- copy it to the directory where you installed RRR on your pc, normally is in C:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Rayman Raving Rabbids.
4.- start rayman raving rabbids.

if not work ask somebody here like PluM or etc.
i hate myself
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Of course, with the current facetious "location" on my profile, I might look like the right person to ask. :fou:

Well, I'm not sure if it would work. I should note that the PC version of RRR actually writes some bytes to the BF file on startup, so it can corrupt it if it's the wrong one (like if you run my location :hap:).
DavidSosa
Ptizêtre Ninja

Post by DavidSosa »

HAHA very funni :fou2: :D but, if this is true, and it can´t be fixed with PluMGMK super habilities, you will need to use Xenia emulator.... and a good pc......... and a xbox 360 controller.....
i hate myself
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Hey, I'm not the biggest expert on the Jade engine around here, I'm sure others can help ;)
DavidSosa
Ptizêtre Ninja

Post by DavidSosa »

Well, so nobody wins. END.
i hate myself
ICUP321
Bébé Globox
Tings: 625

Post by ICUP321 »

It's impossible to manually port the 360 version of RRR to PC since most of the 360 version's files are formatted and laid out in a way that makes it incompatible with the PC version, especially since the PC version is a port based off of the PS2 version.

I experimented with the PC Gamer's Edition of King Kong, (which is another Jade engine game where the port is based off the Xbox 360 version rather than PS2) and that version is actually directly compatible with the 360 version's files, which are laid out almost exactly the same as the 360 version of RRR. So if anything, porting the 360 version of RRR to King Kong Gamer's Edition would actually be easier than porting it to the actual PC version of RRR.

On another note, porting the full Wii version of Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 to PC is very much a possibility because the assets are almost directly compatible with the lite PC version:

There are obviously a ton of bugs as you can see, like no sound, graphical glitches, lack of video and controller options, etc. but I was surprised at how playable the game still is even with all of those bugs in mind. Best of all is that all of the minigames are *probably* playable without a Wii Remote, but only Xbox 360 controllers are read for some reason. All of these bugs can probably fixed if there is enough interest in reverse-engineering RRR2 to see how the game works and what needs to be changed in order to make a full-fledged PC port.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Thanks ICUP for sharing this! I'm not familiar with how different the assets are between the two versions, but it's impressive nonetheless how well it works "out of the box". Great find here! :up:
ChileanPleasePlay
Lums

ICUP321 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:30 pm It's impossible to manually port the 360 version of RRR to PC since most of the 360 version's files are formatted and laid out in a way that makes it incompatible with the PC version, especially since the PC version is a port based off of the PS2 version.

I experimented with the PC Gamer's Edition of King Kong, (which is another Jade engine game where the port is based off the Xbox 360 version rather than PS2) and that version is actually directly compatible with the 360 version's files, which are laid out almost exactly the same as the 360 version of RRR. So if anything, porting the 360 version of RRR to King Kong Gamer's Edition would actually be easier than porting it to the actual PC version of RRR.

On another note, porting the full Wii version of Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 to PC is very much a possibility because the assets are almost directly compatible with the lite PC version:

There are obviously a ton of bugs as you can see, like no sound, graphical glitches, lack of video and controller options, etc. but I was surprised at how playable the game still is even with all of those bugs in mind. Best of all is that all of the minigames are *probably* playable without a Wii Remote, but only Xbox 360 controllers are read for some reason. All of these bugs can probably fixed if there is enough interest in reverse-engineering RRR2 to see how the game works and what needs to be changed in order to make a full-fledged PC port.
Well... I guess my dreams of seeing Xbox 360's graphics and textures of RRR on PC will be completely dead 😔. In that case I guess I will have to find an original used copy of the game for Xbox 360 (I own a Xbox 360 E but I only own the game on PC and Wii) which for me it will be very hard because finding a specific game that is not on the Marketplace of my country (RRR cannot be bought on the Marketplace of my country for some weird reason) is very hard and it could take me more than 1 or 2 years to find which happened to me with 2 360 games (The Simpsons Game and Sonic 06) so I guess I'm screwed in that case 😔
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Have you considered using an Xbox 360 emulator? Not sure how good those are, though.
ChileanPleasePlay
Lums

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:48 pm Have you considered using an Xbox 360 emulator? Not sure how good those are, though.
I tried... and it doesn't run that bad but.. it has no music (only sound effects), the save file will always be corrupted for unknown reasons (basically I wasn't able to save) and in a lot of cases the framerate decreases a lot (My GPU is a Nvidia GeForce 940mx, my Memory is 8GB of RAM and my CPU is an Intel Core i5-6200U, up to 2.8GHz) so personally I would prefer to wait until i could find a used copy of that game in my country so for now I'll wait...