Rayman Raving Rabbids - Prototype Restoration Mod

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Ilyaman
Lividstone
Tings: 415

Re: Rayman Raving Rabbids - Prototype Restoration Mod

Post by Ilyaman »

Excellent work! Each ported map work is getting better and better, keep up! Also I have 1 year outdated but good news at the same time (sorry for Reddit stuff but still). https://www.reddit.com/r/Rayman/comment ... g_rabbits/
And Hunchman801, good luck on adding a new information on the Raywiki about RRR.
Attachments
teoqmfykzop51.png
teoqmfykzop51.png (117.24 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Last edited by Ilyaman on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Amazing progress! Now I wonder which of the Jade engine games is next. :lol:
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Damn, there's a lot to reply to :P
PluMGMK wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:47 pmFor the record (in case anyone reads this after I change it), my current "location" is "Jade_enr.exe /B /TX sally_clean.bf", representing a "wrong" way of doing this, at least with unmodified files. As a "location", it's modelled on Fifo's "rm -rf /*" as a destructive command, since my "method" actually corrupts your BG&E file!

One question: do those "elevators" in the DomZ base actually work on Rayman, or did you sneakily use noclip? :P
You can run RRR's executable with BG&E's files? I don't think any of that works though, right? :P
Also, I had to disable all AI so yeah I used noclip.
paulnewman2001 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:12 pm Looks really cool!, question, would it be possible to port R2 or 3 maps into RR?
Possible yes, but also much more complicated than what I've been doing now and not really worth all that effort. Modding is fun, but if there's a lot of work involved there's a certain point where you'd be better off just making your own game.
PluMGMK wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:34 pm By the way, I decided to reread the RRR and Origins chapters of L'histoire de Rayman to see if there was any reference to the similarity in player mechanics between Rayman 4 and Origins. It wasn't mentioned, but I did see that this Rayman 4 project was apparently codenamed "Rayman Adventures" at one point! :idea:
Yeah, I did the same thing a while back -- pretty funny how many times they wanted to use "Rayman Adventures" only for it to eventually end up in a mobile game...
I've been curious about the mechanics similarities as well. It seems around this time they started imagining a very flexible and bouncy Rayman (which I think fits him very well -- at least more than the very clunky/heavy R1 Rayman for example) and then continued that trend into the UbiArt games.
Showin wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:11 pmAlright. I'll keep an eye out. Out of curiosity are the JADE engine games similar enough to the LYN engine games that the tools could eventually be made to support those as well? They seem to be very similar from what I've looked into and getting a deeper look into Rabbids Go Home would also be something I'd love to do eventually.
The format use a similar structure in general and a lot of similar terminology (e.g. levels are WorldLists, GameObjects have modifiers, etc.) but the contents are quite different. LyN is like a more advanced and C++ version of Jade (which is C). I'm not interested in developing anything for the LyN games though, as I don't really like any of them.
Maybe if a BG&E2-1 (LyN version) prototype is ever released I'll want to dig into it. :)

Anyway, some more videos from a few days ago, testing custom mounts:
https://streamable.com/xljpuj
https://streamable.com/o0g1sy
https://streamable.com/yo68j9
https://streamable.com/ra7yi2
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, if you actually run what it says in my location, all it does is crash and corrupt the BF! :P It writes some form of timestamp somewhere, but in the BG&E file, writing to that location just seems to corrupt some dialogue sound files!

But anyway, custom mounts! Amazing! :D

Also, Jade didn't use C++ at all? Interesting…
Ilyaman
Lividstone

Post by Ilyaman »

About spider, acording what I heard, spider was also cut from Peter Jackson's King Kong the movie game. Does the model and code of the spider still remain in the King Kong's files and is it restorable and portable to RRR? And also about the eagle. Does model and code also still remain in Peter Jackson's King Kong and does eagle remain in another Jade Engine games to be ported to RRR?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

The custom mounts are rather awesome indeed! So many ideas come to mind. :lol:
Ilyaman
Lividstone

Post by Ilyaman »

Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:59 pm The custom mounts are rather awesome indeed! So many ideas come to mind. :lol:
Indeed, this also reminds me of dinosaur from Rayman 2 prototype and literally final version.

Fun Fact: the Rayman 2 prototype dinosaur also reappears in Rayman ReDesigner.

Edit: I also suggest saucers can attack option, also saucers can stuck in it's own collisions (like in bunnies sometimes recycles the scenery from other games stage when saucers can't fly higher than it's default hight or when they fly far away more than spawn place) I just suggest free from collisions like bat and eagle heave.
Attachments
Dino mount.jpg
Dino mount.jpg (7.7 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
TTK
Poilu
Tings: 2035

Post by TTK »

https://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=74678
I need help for a RRR mod Droolie. :) I'm not used to modding Jade Engine.
Ilyaman
Lividstone

Post by Ilyaman »

Ilyaman wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:06 am About spider, acording what I heard, spider was also cut from Peter Jackson's King Kong the movie game. Does the model and code of the spider still remain in the King Kong's files and is it restorable and portable to RRR? And also about the eagle. Does model and code also still remain in Peter Jackson's King Kong and does eagle remain in another Jade Engine games to be ported to RRR?
Ilyaman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:12 pm Edit: I also suggest saucers can attack option, also saucers can stuck in it's own collisions (like in bunnies sometimes recycles the scenery from other games stage when saucers can't fly higher than it's default hight or when they fly far away more than spawn place) I just suggest free from collisions like bat and eagle heave.
Sorry to say that early but you actually have unanswered questions and suggestions...
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Ilyaman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:26 pm
Ilyaman wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:06 am About spider, acording what I heard, spider was also cut from Peter Jackson's King Kong the movie game. Does the model and code of the spider still remain in the King Kong's files and is it restorable and portable to RRR? And also about the eagle. Does model and code also still remain in Peter Jackson's King Kong and does eagle remain in another Jade Engine games to be ported to RRR?
Ilyaman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:12 pm Edit: I also suggest saucers can attack option, also saucers can stuck in it's own collisions (like in bunnies sometimes recycles the scenery from other games stage when saucers can't fly higher than it's default hight or when they fly far away more than spawn place) I just suggest free from collisions like bat and eagle heave.
Sorry to say that early but you actually have unanswered questions and suggestions...
Please be a bit patient, I do have things to do outside of answering questions on RPC you know. :P

For the spider, it's based on something from King Kong but heavily modified. The spider model that RRR requires is different from the ones in King Kong.
I have not seen any usable eagle or spider in any Jade engine games (though King Kong has a different type of bat that can probably be used in RRR).

All code for both the spider and the eagle is still in the game, as we showcased in the Prototype Restoration video. Instead of using the bat behavior you can also make the game use the eagle behavior with an option in RCP, which makes the bat bigger, makes it use different animations and enables its shooting mechanic. For spiders, enabling this code is a bit problematic as it tries to access extra legs in the model that the robot doesn't have, but you can enable its jumping mechanic with an option in RCP as well. :)

For saucers: I can't just add things that have been removed entirely, such as the attack option, and I won't modify the height at which the saucers can fly as that is the behavior that the developers intended.

-------

Anyway, in the past few days I added the following games into RRR:
- Horsez 2
- Petz: Horse Club
- Movie Games / Movie Studios Party
- RRR2
So now I have a big (1.4GB) Rayman4.bf that has all assets (except text and sound) from all "Montpellier" branch Jade engine games.
I fixed a lot of issues with the export, for example converting textures to a format that RRR supports or converting vertex colors from BG&E to RRR, so almost everything looks correct now, and all maps that didn't work before also work now.

There more screenshots than I can post here so I'll only post one here and link to an imgur album.
More screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/hQ2m8EV
Jade_enr 2021-09-17 01-53-34-791.png
Jade_enr 2021-09-17 01-53-34-791.png (770.53 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
I also made 2 videos exploring Horsez 2 maps:
https://streamable.com/y6tpqf
https://streamable.com/lsgf09

Honestly I have no idea where I'm going with all this but we'll see! :P
Ilyaman
Lividstone

Post by Ilyaman »

Sorry for the haste, and thanks for the content.

Edit: check this out!
https://twitter.com/FancyFather/status/ ... 1626340353
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

The maps from Horsez 2 make for a rather interesting environment for Rayman, too.
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi
Tings: 6360

Post by paulnewman2001 »

This map does fit Rayman indeed, it's a shame that the original maps from the prototype seem to be gone though.
Ilyaman
Lividstone

Post by Ilyaman »

About RRR restoration mod, sorry for dumb question but what RPC stands for (exept Rayman pirate community) guys?
ItzalDrake
Reflux
Tings: 8658

Post by ItzalDrake »

Maybe you're confusing it with RCP that is for Rayman Control Panel, a project by Raycarrot that unifies all utilities for Rayman games made by the community in one program, including this RRR mod :)
Hello! Image
Ilyaman
Lividstone

Post by Ilyaman »

Em, no. That's actually deferent than RCP, and that's something connected with Rayman Raving Rabbids the game and it's files also this could be connected with Rayman 4 Prototype stuff.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Where did you read about this? Are you sure it's not just someone that misspelled RCP as RPC?
Ilyaman
Lividstone

Post by Ilyaman »

Well, here.
Droolie wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:27 pm Please be a bit patient, I do have things to do outside of answering questions on RPC you know. :P
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

In which case, RPC refers to this place and nothing else. :hap:
Ilyaman
Lividstone

Post by Ilyaman »

Sorry, I just had misunderstanding here. :lol: