Dream for a new Rayman 1 map editor

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
raymandesigner
Ptizêtre en or
Tings: 896

Re: Dream for a new Rayman 1 map editor

Post by raymandesigner »

My Rayman 1 Level Editor Need Rayman 1 Map Editor Next Time Upload Please.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

That level is amazing, though I'm sure I wouldn't have the patience for it!
Tell me, are all the resources available in Rayman Junior to make that particular level work as well?
Raymanni
Carnivora
Tings: 12835

Post by Raymanni »

Looks so awesome! Keep up the great work!
Chacanger
Ptizêtre en or
Tings: 895

Post by Chacanger »

Thanks for all of the responses, to answer some of the questions:
"Tell me, are all the resources available in Rayman Junior to make that particular level work as well?"
I believe Rayman Junior contains all of the assets from Rayman 1 plus the extra ones such as numbers palette platforms etc. However Rayman Junior doesn't seem to support parallax scrolling like the original game.

I haven't managed to get the editor working for Rayman Junior levels yet, there's some byte data that makes the files unreadable at present but certainly is possible.
Do you have any interest in working on the PS1 version as well? I decoded part of the PS1 level format a while ago, and personally, I think it'd be really neat to be able to get custom levels in there, given how much better it is on a technical level.
If there was enough data to work on I would definitely consider it, would be nice to have the graphical enhancements and higher quality sound fx.

What elements did you manage to decode? Sprite Art, Maps etc?

I will upload the Caves Of Skops map soon, in the meantime here's another map that utilises Mr Sax, it's a weird level but gives you an idea of what can be created.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Wonderful!
And yes, of course, I'd forgotten the parallax background thing. It's not that big a deal though, I guess.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Chacanger wrote:What elements did you manage to decode? Sprite Art, Maps etc?
So far, the types structure/layout, and some of the sprites. I'll look into it some more and update you.
Chacanger wrote:I will upload the Caves Of Skops map soon, in the meantime here's another map that utilises Mr Sax, it's a weird level but gives you an idea of what can be created.
Ey, that background gives a strangely beautiful charm to the level!
Raymanni
Carnivora

Post by Raymanni »

Using Mr. Sax like that is very interesting!
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Hmm, sos440 hasn't been heard from in some time. Do you guys think it might be worthwhile to add his research to RayWiki?
Raymanni
Carnivora

Post by Raymanni »

Master wrote:Hmm, sos440 hasn't been heard from in some time. Do you guys think it might be worthwhile to add his research to RayWiki?
I think it would be wise. Just to keep this research archived.
Multimagyar
Lums Jaune
Tings: 150

Post by Multimagyar »

I have a gut feeling that the "unpredictable" checksum of the texture table seems to be rather... consistent with the same values in different order so it should really be just something like checksum=(sum(data1,data2, ... ,datan) modulo 256). Would not confirm yet. I did not get as far as to modify the texture table and then export that. Mostly because what I made was thrown together in a few hours. I assume that the header's last 02 byte is a version indicator. Given the fact that there is a whole data table unused and there are earlier versions of the game it would make sense that there is a V01.

Sorry for the bump btw. Felt like something worth to mention while I work on my version of the editor. Even if it was quite obvious. No promises on a editor however. I just wanted to make everything dark... Or slippery... Or Dark AND slippery. On another note, I made a slippery slightly longer 1st jungle level.
Please don't give such power to me.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Funny, I was just thinking about this project today! Good to know it's still being worked on. :)
Multimagyar
Lums Jaune

Post by Multimagyar »

okay so here's a bit of a spread sheet I figured about the types so far which is the easier part, if you know what object is what on the map. What is harder when things like type 3 appears on the same position 10 times with similar attributes but there is no actual visualization what they are.

Further more with a help of some experiment I what decides what colour palette is being used. it's an object should have seen that one coming... it's pretty rectangular in behavior. As in they are either horizontal or vertical lines which if in the player active zone, it changes the palette if the player on this or that side. I guess to explain it a bit better have an image.
the swapper behavior depends on sub_etat

On another interesting note the first 104 colour + the 7th black colour after it of the colour palettes are always the same. it contains the colours for the hud, for the characters, the background, and so on. the 6 colour between the black and the consistent colours are allocated for similar purpose but I did not figure that part yet.
The rest of the colour palette is just the tile colours if it was not used from the first 111 colours.

Some of these colours were taken from different stages sometimes different worlds even. top to bottom is 0 to 255th colour 2 pixel to the right is the next palette. and what the original document says about having 3 colour tables remains true.

I look into adding and removing tiles then take a closer look into event placements and links. I had to find the one thing that swaps the colour palettes before I dig into tile adding/removing.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Awesome work! :mryellow: The new mapper I'm working on (currently for PS1 and Designer) has a very modern UI done in OpenGL, so once you've figured out all you can regarding the PC format, hit me up and we can add in PC support to make the ultimate cross-platform editor!
Multimagyar
Lums Jaune

Post by Multimagyar »

Sure! I was slightly afraid I have to drop my version of the editor to the public. I'm not amazing with user friendly designs so a modern UI/editor design probably be the best for everyone. I'll continue my digging and add things to the spread sheet and make a new version of the original document.
Multimagyar
Lums Jaune

Post by Multimagyar »

Soo I've been tinkering to find more out, I still kind of search for the trigger that makes things look like it's in the darkness only a light bulb following Rayman's fist like in the joe's level, while studying certain other things in the format for some selfish reasons. I went back to the very beginning of the game to Jungle 7 or well the Lagoon level part 3. I've tried to change a few things and was wondering why does some the scrolling entities seem to have health but no sub state that usually determines altered action. Turns out the "health" of the scroll entities control the increase or decrease of the speed for the mosquito on that level. so I had a crazy idea and for the heck of it moved them to the beginning of the level and changed most of them to have 0 "health" which means the camera scroll increases speed. (calling it health because the original called it "hit points" so it's easier to find if someone looks into that document. Another good reason why to handle some of these fields as value fields rather than something explicit like health)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWbPtb0hQ4A
I tried to change what power Betilla gives, but it does not seem to be connected to health, sub state, type or state at all it's probably connected to world or level so unfortunately I can't make Rayman have running before hanging :/
I had fun. Also it seems like UFOs in Joe's level are controlled by some bumper like objects making them easy to alter direction, having the UFO connected to the first bumper tells the UFO which direction it needs to go when Rayman triggers it by standing on it. Having two of these bumper like entities connected can make them smoothly increase speed rather than instantly.
Okay I go back to study for my last exam, then get back to this or something.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Nice! Though I'm pretty sure the hitpoints thing for the scrolling entities was already known. The scrolling entities are available in the Extended RD Editor.
Multimagyar
Lums Jaune

Post by Multimagyar »

PluMGMK wrote:Nice! Though I'm pretty sure the hitpoints thing for the scrolling entities was already known. The scrolling entities are available in the Extended RD Editor.
huh alright, I don't assume there is a sort of documentation for that? Could match some thing I have here.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

You can just download the editor and have a look at the EVE.MLT codes. I think there's a little help page too that explains how the codes work (to the best of our knowledge as of 2011 anyway!).
Also, have you seen Chacanger's spreadsheet with all the object types?
Multimagyar
Lums Jaune

Post by Multimagyar »

Did not know such gold existed around here. Sometimes should investigate if the info exists rather than trying to rebuild them myself.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

He posted the spreadsheet over on Betilla's Gardens (which, uh, isn't looking great after its forced migration from InvisionFree to Tapatalk…). ;)