Dream for a new Rayman 1 map editor

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Multimagyar
Lums Jaune
Tings: 150

Re: Dream for a new Rayman 1 map editor

Post by Multimagyar »

okay well both of those spreadsheets are quite useful he shared, but from fun search it kind of seem to turn into house keeping with these two spreadsheets. Since there are quite a few redundant data in it and the only difference is the position and would be nice if it was organized per world. Other than that if I could turn this an easily readable format rejecting the empty data because... they will be 0 anyway and the spreadsheet did not really change this, reject the position because that's not really object specific and line up the same object type with the variants, then I could easily just pull them in my testing environment and fiddle with them. And easier to document and pass.
(I see that... a few strange thing happened)
oh btw thanks this will help quite a bit.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102730

Post by PluMGMK »

You're welcome. Sorry for not mentioning it sooner, but I didn't realize that you and Chacanger hadn't synched up on this project. :?
Multimagyar
Lums Jaune
Tings: 150

Post by Multimagyar »

Nah no worries. I see him and Terminapor pop up every decade practically in the intervals when I'm not active because life or busy with other projects.
Dark Skink
Paluchard
Tings: 507

Post by Dark Skink »

Cool! I wonder if you can rip the exclusive console tilesets and tilesets from prototypes?
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

First of all, a big thanks to sos440 for the documentation! I've been using that as a reference to support the Rayman 1 .lev format in my general Rayman serializing library. My goal is to allow any file format in a Rayman game to get deserialized into a readable data object in managed code and then serialized back to its original format.

I've gotten the basic things to work so far, such as reading the textures and map properties, as can be seen here:
RAY1 Map.png
RAY1 Properties.png
RAY1 Properties.png (10.6 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
I have run into some issues though, such as when to swap between the palettes and how to get the background images. The events are also rather confusing, though I haven't looked into it yet.
Hopefully in the future this can be used for some sort of editor, even though it's basic. Currently with my code you can easily edit the map properties and swap out textures, but that'd require creating a program referencing my library atm.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

Adsolution, Ryemanni and I have been working on a Rayman 1 map editor/viewer in Unity. If anyone here has experience with the file formats and wants to join our effort, just send me a pm and I can link the Discord server.
The current goal is to make this a similar project to Raymap with support for every release (once complete the viewer will go up on the Raymap website). Currently we are focusing on PS1 and PC. We'll eventually add support for Sega Saturn too since the format is similar to PS1 (but instead each data block is its own file).