RayTwol ~ Rayman 2 level editor (1.0 release)

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

RayTwol ~ Rayman 2 level editor (1.0 release)

Post by Adsolution »

RayTwol is a work-in-progress level editor for Rayman 2 (PC), developed by Chloë Krawelitzki (Adsolution). The file encryption and geometry formats were decoded by Szymon Jankowski (szymski) (web: http://szymekk.me).

DOWNLOAD -- version 1.03 -- 11 January 2017

Your browser and anti-virus may detect RayTwol.exe as unsafe (I think it has something to do with highly-amused.com being a newly-registered domain); ignore and bypass this.

RayTwol checks for updates and automatically downloads them when launched, so don't worry about having to check in and re-download it every time!

Please report any bugs or crashes, and thoroughly examine the help window!

>> Current features <<
  • The ability to modify the position of most of the objects in any given level
  • Modifications can saved and experienced in-game, simply through exiting and re-entering the level
  • Objects can be moved with either the movement gizmo or by typing in new coordinates
  • Every Rayman 2 level fully rendered, minus vertex colours
>> High-priority upcoming features <<
  • Disabling the "Please insert CD" pirate face that may pop up after certain levels are edited
  • Click-and-drag movement gizmos (the current implementation requires the use of the scroll wheel)
  • The ability to click on objects in the viewport (the current implementation requires you to select them from the left-hand panel)
>> Upcoming features <<
  • A dialogue editor
  • The ability to have Rayman 2 automatically load the level currently being edited when the game is launched from RayTwol
  • Live update of objects' coordinates in-game when they're moved in RayTwol
  • When Rayman 2 is launched from RayTwol, have Rayman show up as an object in RayTwol that you can move around like any other object
  • The ability to synchronise the in-game camera with the RayTwol camera
  • A cinematic editor, allowing you to create custom in-game camera animations
  • Vertex colours
Changelog:

Code: Select all

1.03	11/01/2017	--- Special thanks to Damien K for Windows 7 debugging help
- Fixed crash from unused code causing accessibility issues
- Fixed crash for Windows 7 users by swapping Aero2 reference to Aero
- Fixed minor interface spacing issues

1.02	10/01/2017
- Fixed crash that occurs when level is fetched without a held state
- If LEVELS0.DAT is not present in the install (the retail version), it's automatically downloaded
- Removed the empty "Splash" window and relocated its code to the Main function
- Setup now has a GUI and no longer requires a manual restart afterwards
- Optimised various startup checks
- Clarified the "Select directory" message
- Help window appears on top of the main window when opened automatically on first-time launch
- Minor interface modifications:
	- Thinned the left-hand panel
	- Removed unnecessary parameter name labels
	- Removed the unused "Type" parameter
	- Resized the "RUN" button in preparation for a future update

1.01	07/01/2017
- Fixed regional decimal point parsing crash (./,)
- Levels dropdown is deselected after loading a level to prevent accidental WASD navigation

1.0	06/01/2017
- First official release of RayTwol
Last edited by Adsolution on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 am, edited 39 times in total.
Raymanni
Carnivora
Tings: 12835

Re: RayTwol - a (to-be) Rayman 2 objects/map editor

Post by Raymanni »

Super nice! :mrgreen:
The_Real_Razorbeard
Pink
Tings: 4575

Post by The_Real_Razorbeard »

Nice name Image

This could be really cool though, if it got figured out to the point of something like, say, Toad's Tool for SM64 editing. I can see it now: Kaizo Rayman 2 :P

Or you know, actually good stuff. That too.
ImageImageImageImage
szymski
Otto Psi
Tings: 6300

Post by szymski »

It's nice to see more people working on Rayman 2. Do you use GPT files for finding out entities or do you scan for the strings in the SNA file? I'd be happy to help.
Good morning, that's a nice Tnetennba.
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

Amazing as always Ad. the object editor is for the pc version of the game?
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Greeness wrote:Amazing as always Ad. the object editor is for the pc version of the game?
ya
The_Real_Razorbeard wrote:This could be really cool though, if it got figured out to the point of something like, say, Toad's Tool for SM64 editing.
I think TT64 has an awful interface, so I'd definitely want to aim higher than that. :mryellow:
szymski wrote:It's nice to see more people working on Rayman 2. Do you use GPT files for finding out entities or do you scan for the strings in the SNA file? I'd be happy to help.
I spent a while looking in the SNA for patterns surrounding the objects, and I found that all of them begin and end as such:

Code: Select all

06 00 00 00 !00
(...)
CD CD CD CD 00 00 00
So I made it search for those combinations, labelling the start and finish accordingly. The string names are near the end of each one; I locate them by detecting "FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF !FF", as they always begin 0x80 bytes after that sequence.

As for the GPT files, I've played around with those a bit, but in no great depth. Those are the files I was talking about earlier that seem to hold some animation and model-child information and such. Basically, what I've done, is I went through and filled in as much of the file as I could with 00's (pretty much 99% of it), and it would result in this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dumxv2bcb ... .13.04.mp4

It's awesome to see that you've looked into the GPT files, since I didn't really have any idea what I was doing when I was messing with them. I've only been programming for a year and a half and I'm not much of a reverse-engineerer, so I would be over the moon if you were interested in helping out. The first thing on my plate is to try and find the objects' coordinates. Incidentally, I'm using your moonjump hack tool as a guide, since it displays Rayman's coordinates: When Rayman jumps on a bouncy mushroom, he of course locks to the X and Y coordinates of the mushroom.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Updated the first post - a new version is available, and manual decryption is no longer necessary; all the levels can be opened immediately!
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Not really well versed in model editing, but will this allow for level geometry to be previewed as well?
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

It will. I'm actually building a 3D API and engine from the ground up for it (it's not based off of OpenGL or DirectX or anything):

As it's entirely my own API, the program is only 30 kB right now, and it opens instantly with no loading times. The performance at the moment is extremely sub-par, as it's running on the CPU, and only on a single thread. To improve performance, I'm going to try multithreading, and if that isn't sufficient, I'll figure out how to program for the GPU. Really, for now I only need it to be efficient enough to render out a Rayman 2 map, which I'm guessing is under 10,000 polys.
incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

You somehow something demoscene like, we'll see what the program will look like when it's size will reach 64 kb. :)
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Neat, I've always wanted to see whether the first part of the Fairy Glade actually did make sense, or if they had the area with the machine directly beneath the starting area.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

Master wrote:Neat, I've always wanted to see whether the first part of the Fairy Glade actually did make sense, or if they had the area with the machine directly beneath the starting area.
The machine part is besides the starting area, not beneath it.
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

This looks awesome. Good luck. :)
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Well, this is crazy :P! Good luck with this, I will want to see any future attempts of creating anything new.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Thanks!

Big update: I've remade the interface in WPF, and I've implemented my engine into it. Now you can see all (or most of) the objects in a level in a 3D viewport. Each one is only represented by cubes for the time being, but it's more than likely that some major progress will be made very soon regarding the models (thanks to Szymekk). Here are the three areas in The Precipice:

No release quite yet unfortunately, as I need to fix some crashing issues first. Expect something in a day or two.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Re: RayTwol - a WiP Rayman 2 objects/map editor

Post by Adsolution »

I've updated the first post with information and a download for the third build. Please report any bugs or crashes if discovered.
Burtek
Lums Bleu
Tings: 100

Re: RayTwol - a WiP Rayman 2 level editor [Download]

Post by Burtek »

"yay, Rayman 2 editor, finally!" *instantly downloads*
*opens the editor* "The Rayman 2 directory hasn't been selected"
"oh, k, i'll just select it and..."
*realizes that he uninstalled Rayman 2 long ago and now any disc doesn't work properly so the only option is to buy the game on gog or download it*
*cries*
*writes that*
lol
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Lol, get that shit installed, son.

Big update again: The engine can now render (kind of) shaded polygons (at an atrocious still-CPU-bound framerate), and full level geometry is loaded alongside the objects, which you can mouse-over and select (but not move)! No download yet as the performance is utterly unacceptable and the EXE isn't fully independent at the moment. The new multithreading implementation allows for wireframes to be displayed at full resolution with a constant 30+ FPS, but that proved to be nowhere near sufficient for fills. Time to go learn GPU programming.

Once again, thanks to Szymekk for decoding the static level geometry!
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Hey, it works now! It actually edits levels and you can play them! :P
Again, before I release, I want to fix up the performance. There's a chance I may switch to working with DirectX for the sake of performance since, while I understanfmd the idea behind GPU programming now, my program might require too much of an overhaul to work with it. DX would also mean easy texture implementation, which is a huge bonus.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Re: RayTwol - Rayman 2 level editor [Download]

Post by Ambidextroid »

Sweet! How much progress have you made with editing world geometry?