Rayman 2 textures request

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
thecraftinatorx
Créature
Tings: 335

Rayman 2 textures request

Post by thecraftinatorx »

Hello everyone, does anyone have the textures of Rayman 2? :roll:

I need them for a project (Recreate levels of Rayman in Unity as a made with Rayman 3 previously)

I'm sure I had them on my computer, but I've lost them. :cry:

Thank you! :D
thecraftinatorx
Créature
Tings: 335

Re: Rayman 2 textures request

Post by thecraftinatorx »

PluMGMK wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:13 pm Are you in a position to extract them yourself?
Thank you very much! :D

I've extracted and uploaded to MEGA, if anyone wants to download them

Have a nice day
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8652

Post by deton24 »

I'd gladly see these textures processed by ESRGAN AI upscaler.
They have very low resolution.
Dreamcast version have bigger textures, but maybe not always better.
Pity that Rayman 2 doesn't support bigger textures.
Maybe OpenRayman project will. I don't know.
Granville
Incrediball
Tings: 390

Post by Granville »

deton24 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:04 pm I'd gladly see these textures processed by ESRGAN AI upscaler.
They have very low resolution.
Dreamcast version have bigger textures, but maybe not always better.
Pity that Rayman 2 doesn't support bigger textures.
Maybe OpenRayman project will. I don't know.
Most of the shared textures in the PC and DC ports seem identical in size and quality, there are only a couple of rare exceptions. The DC port also has some extra unique textures of its own due to some details and content that didn't make it into the PC version.

It should be noted that the Dreamcast emulator Reicast supports texture dumping and custom HD texture loading similar to N64, Dolphin and PPSSPP. It "works" technically, but there is currently a bug with Reicast where it dumps tons of duplicate versions of the same textures over and over again for every level or even area (basically after every load screen). Reicast will dump duplicate copies of the same textures under different names. You can easily get dozens (possibly even hundreds) of copies of the same texture under different names. And you need these duplicates for loading custom ones back in as well. For instance, I tested the first few levels sharing the Woods motif, the game dumped over 8 copies of the basic grass texture. By the end of the game if I were to continue dumping textures, this number of duplicates will be well into the high double digits (if not triple). You COULD retexture the whole game, but it would require a TON of work and the pack's file size would be unreasonably huge.

I went on the Reicast discord (and its Retroarch core) and told the developers of this issue. They've acknowledged it as a bug and told me they'll try to work on a fix. It affects other games as well, I noted this in Sonic Adventure too. Though I don't know when it will be done. Reicast lost some of its best developers recently due to licensing disagreements. The developers who left main Reicast are continuing work on the Libretro core, which I believe has been renamed Flycast.

I will confirm that ESRGAN's Manga model does indeed upscale this game's textures beautifully (some of them I also ran through Gigapixel afterwards, Gigapixel alone isn't as good as ESRGAN for this art style but its noise removal works well after first running them through ESRGAN Manga). While not a substitute for the better ports on DC, PC, I have been playing around with loading AI enhanced versions of the DC textures into the N64 port via Gliden64. Just while i'm waiting on a fix for the Reicast bug.