Tonic Trouble Launcher (Retail)

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

RayBlue
Bébé Chef Dragon
Tings: 285

Re: Tonic Trouble Tools (Retail)

Post by RayBlue »

deton24 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:50 am Looks like your wrapper is glitched.
Try out this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJss50OWXb8
Can't see why, I've only used the exact same files the OP shared.
I'll try and redo the whole process using this tutorial and I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Hipnosis183
Tribelle
Tings: 90

Post by Hipnosis183 »

Quick update on this, i finally managed to get the "ubi.ini" redirection to the game path. This is what was holding up any progress on the launcher, so things should go smooth from now on.

00.png

I still damn the developers (or the compiler) for making such shit file management, but oh well, at least is working now.
Elite Piranha
Chef Dragon
Tings: 19955

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hipnosis183 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm Quick update on this, i finally managed to get the "ubi.ini" redirection to the game path. This is what was holding up any progress on the launcher, so things should go smooth from now on.

00.png

I still damn the developers (or the compiler) for making such shit file management, but oh well, at least is working now.
Btw, is it possible for you to take a high quality screenshot of Rayman in the Ski Slope level? That would be a great help.
Last edited by Elite Piranha on Sun May 17, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer
Location: An tír ina labhraítear (beagán ar fad) an teanga ina bhfuil sé seo scríofa
Tings: 5535

Post by PluMGMK »

Hipnosis183 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm I still damn the developers (or the compiler) for making such shit file management, but oh well, at least is working now.
Please don't damn them, they probably didn't know any better. :sad: This was the days of Windows 98, where sticking stuff in random places on the C drive actually worked…
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

Hey everyone. Since the full launcher would take some time i will drop a preview build, which should cover all the features already established, but in a more elegant, simple and clean way. As of now, it's just for the discussed REVIEW ENGLISH versions, or those which have the packed executable. So far it's been tested with the Spanish and Italian releases.

To use it just put the launcher in the game folder. The game folder must be a clean install of the game files. This can be done by normal install, or by copying the files straight from the disc. The last one is the recommended, since the introduction of the "Portable Mode" deals with everything, option which is activated by default.

Some technical notes: The only bundled files are the unpacked executable (the RibShark one, i tried by doing my own, but more on that odyssey later) and the Spanish version setup, just for consistency during patching. This is because the patching is done at runtime, the files are not pre-patched. Also included is dgVoodoo 2.63.1, which can be disabled in case someone wants to use their own version and configuration (which btw is kept at the minimal needed). The only extra file created by the launcher is for the configuration, the rest gets cleaned-up.

The plan for now is to cover the rest of the releases, all with the same features. I also plan to do a write-up of all this process later on, in case someone finds it interesting. Any testing of the preview is welcomed, so i can fix any problems for the complete release.

Also, don't share the build, since it's incomplete nature.
Attachments
TTLauncher.7z
(724.8 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

deton24 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 am Nice work.
I only recommend to rename topic name to something like:

"Tonic Trouble Tools (Retail) Vista+ and widescreen fixes" which would tell more about its content.
Yeah, it's not very fitting anymore. Still, i will wait for the rewrite of the main thread once the launcher is completed.
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

If someone wants to kill some time, i wrote an article of the whole process, which can be read here:

https://hipnosis183.github.io/blog/brin ... c-trouble/

On other note, i've been busy re-doing the Tonic Trouble logos (the 3 i know so far); those are up on DeviantArt. Also, at a later date i'll analyze and deconstruct their designs in a future article, in case someone is interested on it.

In the meantime, will try to get the launcher done.
RayBlue
Bébé Chef Dragon

Post by RayBlue »

Hi there, just a quick update: I reinstalled the whole game afresh and then copied the remaining files and folders from the disk to the installation folder, as explained. Then, I put the preview build of the full launcher in the same directory, and executed it.
The game eventually started, but only in 4:3 (with the widescreen mode actually toggled on) and would crash with a black screen when trying to display the intro sequence. So, at least to my experience, it is still unplayable (perhaps even worse than before haha!).

I know it's not the OP's fault and that they're trying their best, this game must be a real pain to make it playable on relatively modern machines (mine's from 2013, after all). I think I'll just temporarily give up, and wait for a final build of the launcher!

To the OP, thank you so much for your hard work!
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

RayBlue wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 am I think I'll just temporarily give up, and wait for a final build of the launcher!
Don't give up dude, I finished the launcher yesterday. Most likely will be up tomorrow.

For widescreen to work, remember to change the video settings in-game to 800x600, is the only thing that couldn't be automatized.

Crashes when video plays never happened to me, it just skips it when an error occurs. The last is addressed in the launcher, but idk about crashes. We'll see.
RayBlue
Bébé Chef Dragon

Post by RayBlue »

Hipnosis183 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:48 am For widescreen to work, remember to change the video settings in-game to 800x600, is the only thing that couldn't be automatized.
Oh yeah, I did that! I even double-checked. Can't tell why it didn't work properly, really...
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Re: Tonic Trouble Launcher (Retail)

Post by Hipnosis183 »

Main post updated.
RibShark
Matuvu
Tings: 120

Post by RibShark »

Hipnosis183 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:23 pm Main post updated.
Great work! I have been working on my own dynamic patch via DLL injection, once I complete it it may be a good idea to include it. It will include widescreen fixes, input fixes, a "complete" no-CD (removing dependency on the TT2.cnt to TT4.cnt files) and maybe more features down the line.
AdamSkelecoot
Lums Noir
Tings: 85

Post by AdamSkelecoot »

Good job, Hip! I was able to start the game without it crashing. That being said, after the intro, it crashes on the loading screen. Apart from that, a definite improvement on the last version!
I have been working on my own dynamic patch via DLL injection, once I complete it it may be a good idea to include it. It will include widescreen fixes, input fixes, a "complete" no-CD (removing dependency on the TT2.cnt to TT4.cnt files) and maybe more features down the line.
That could be really helpful, because when I try and copy the files from the ISO I've got, they all paste except TT4.cnt, which comes up with "invalid MS-DOS function"
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

RibShark wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:39 pm Great work! I have been working on my own dynamic patch via DLL injection, once I complete it it may be a good idea to include it. It will include widescreen fixes, input fixes, a "complete" no-CD (removing dependency on the TT2.cnt to TT4.cnt files) and maybe more features down the line.
I evaluated doing dll injection, but due to inexperience, and since i already had the launcher framework from other projects, i went with static patching. But it could be a great alternative, let me know how that goes. Personally never had issues with inputs, but i've seen some people having problems. I'm intrigued of that file dependency removal, what is it about?
AdamSkelecoot wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:49 pm Good job, Hip! I was able to start the game without it crashing. That being said, after the intro, it crashes on the loading screen. Apart from that, a definite improvement on the last version!
That sounds like a problem with the game rather than a fault of the launcher. Are you sure you've all the game files in the directory?
AdamSkelecoot wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:49 pm That could be really helpful, because when I try and copy the files from the ISO I've got, they all paste except TT4.cnt, which comes up with "invalid MS-DOS function"
Yeah, forgot about that. As deton said, if the game is an iso image you can extract the files without problems. In my case it was a bin+cue, so i extracted it with UltraISO. Maybe implementing an extractor or "installer" could be a solution.
AdamSkelecoot
Lums Noir
Tings: 85

Post by AdamSkelecoot »

Alrighty, I installed AnyBurn to extract the files from my ISO (which is also a Bin and Cue, my bad) and copied them onto the folder. It's now working perfectly. Thanks!
RibShark
Matuvu
Tings: 120

Post by RibShark »

Hipnosis183 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:51 pm I evaluated doing dll injection, but due to inexperience, and since i already had the launcher framework from other projects, i went with static patching. But it could be a great alternative, let me know how that goes. Personally never had issues with inputs, but i've seen some people having problems. I'm intrigued of that file dependency removal, what is it about?
Basically the files TT1-TT4.cnt aren't "real" files, but fake ones that just point to a specific part of the CD with a random+large size (way larger than the CD in TT4.cnt's case, which is why copying it makes an error). At least 1 of these files is needed as the game will pick one randomly and read it to get some necessary data, but since they all point to the same part of the CD you can modify the game to just always use TT1.cnt.

Rayman 2 uses the same protection, but with files named like "LEVELS0.DAT, SOUNDS1.DAT, GRAPHICS0.DAT". None of these files are real, but at least 1 is needed, so the GOG release ends up doing the same thing and making it always pick "LEVELS0.DAT" and only includes that file.
PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer
Location: An tír ina labhraítear (beagán ar fad) an teanga ina bhfuil sé seo scríofa
Tings: 5535

Post by PluMGMK »

Is that why it does trig operations on the file pointer?