Tonic Trouble Launcher (Retail)

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Hipnosis183
Tribelle
Tings: 90

Re: Tonic Trouble Launcher (Retail)

Post by Hipnosis183 »

RibShark wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:17 am Basically the files TT1-TT4.cnt aren't "real" files, but fake ones that just point to a specific part of the CD with a random+large size (way larger than the CD in TT4.cnt's case, which is why copying it makes an error). At least 1 of these files is needed as the game will pick one randomly and read it to get some necessary data, but since they all point to the same part of the CD you can modify the game to just always use TT1.cnt.

Rayman 2 uses the same protection, but with files named like "LEVELS0.DAT, SOUNDS1.DAT, GRAPHICS0.DAT". None of these files are real, but at least 1 is needed, so the GOG release ends up doing the same thing and making it always pick "LEVELS0.DAT" and only includes that file.
Well, that's an unconventional protection for sure, is great that you've found that out. It actually explains some things, like the installer just copying the "tt1.cnt" file, or the german unprotected version (the only unsupported by the launcher) only having that file. In fact, that version didn't work for me on none of the machines I tried, and I thought it was because it was missing the "tt2-tt4" files. Maybe checking that version can help you out by seeing what it does.

And if you need something I can help with don't hesitate to ask for it.
Alltech
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 10273

Post by Alltech »

Great work Hipnosis! The patch worked fine for me. 😊
😎
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 569074

Post by Hunchman801 »

Nice work indeed! I never got to play Tonic Trouble so this might be the perfect occasion.

Also, we plan on updating the modding and utilities forum index soon (it's badly out of date at the moment), so we'll be sure to include this tool in the list. :up:
insert sig for RPC's 17th bday
deton24
Photographe
Tings: 7521

Post by deton24 »

Hunch, don't know how long you might have to wait but we've just talked with RayCarrot about adding HD textures support for this game since Rayman Control Panel won't require lot of effort adapting the feature to Tonic Trouble since HD textures work with other OpenSpace engine games already with RCP.
Now the only thing I wait is texture sync feature for TT, and then we can start working on the tex mod. Gaming Revived already made HD texture pack for Tonic Trouble for N64, and maybe it won't take eternity to adapt it to PC just by an automatic option of finding duplicates with one of the apps I found.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Sounds like a great idea! I hope you guys can get it to work soon. :)
deton24
Photographe

Post by deton24 »

Well. I checked the launcher, and maybe once I successfully patched binary and dgVoodoo was also copied to the game folder, but the game didn't work (once error reporting tool appeared in task bar). I probably didn't choose 800x600 in SetupTT which I read was necessary.
Later after few uninstallations and game setup errors fixed by launching uninstaller from Control Panel instead of CD, I still wasn't able to launch the game - dgVoodoo files were disappearing shortly after Launcher executing. Binary itself wasn't modified (I checked checksums), but bak file appeared for a while. I also noticed that the game folder is write protected every time when launcher is executed. System logs showed multiple crashes with 0xc0000005 code for the game binary. Might be due to my improper DEP configuration (I had similar error codes with Rayman 2).

What I did to eventually launch the game:
1. I copied dgVoodoo to the game folder on my own - DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll and dgVoodoo.conf when it shortly appeared
https://yadi.sk/d/YAcu_PtNtsDbHw
2. Launched SetupTT and set 800x600 (dgVoodoo forces desktop resolution)
3. Downloaded binary from here:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tonic ... resolution
But it seems like it doesn't have FOV patch.
4. Launched the game from desktop

Can you just apply all your patches for this V3 binary for me?
Thank you

https://archive.org/download/tonic-trou ... rouble.exe

Or if anybody can upload V3 binary modified by the Launcher.
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

deton24 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:28 pm Hunch, don't know how long you might have to wait but we've just talked with RayCarrot about adding HD textures support for this game since Rayman Control Panel won't require lot of effort adapting the feature to Tonic Trouble since HD textures work with other OpenSpace engine games already with RCP.
Now the only thing I wait is texture sync feature for TT, and then we can start working on the tex mod. Gaming Revived already made HD texture pack for Tonic Trouble for N64, and maybe it won't take eternity to adapt it to PC just by an automatic option of finding duplicates with one of the apps I found.
While I think the game already looks pretty good on PC, higher resolution textures could enhance the game experience. If you're going to do it, for the love of god don't use the N64 textures, is going to look a lot worse, for two reasons: first, the super low resolution of N64 textures and how those are divided to fit in the ultra small texture cache, and second, Gaming Revived just dumps all textures and pass them through Gigapixel or Esrgan, so elements like UI, patterns or just divided textures look horrible. The only way it could really enhance the game is by using the PC version textures, and not just upscale them, but giving it a post-upscaling treat manually. Seems like a lot of work, but doing otherwise I think you'll be wasting your time. It's a clear enhancement for the N64 version, but on PC it'll fall pretty short.
deton24 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:32 am Well. I checked the launcher, and maybe once I successfully patched binary and dgVoodoo was also copied to the game folder, but the game didn't work (once error reporting tool appeared in task bar). I probably didn't choose 800x600 in SetupTT which I read was necessary.
Later after few uninstallations and game setup errors fixed by launching uninstaller from Control Panel instead of CD, I still wasn't able to launch the game - dgVoodoo files were disappearing shortly after Launcher executing. Binary itself wasn't modified (I checked checksums), but bak file appeared for a while. I also noticed that the game folder is write protected every time when launcher is executed. System logs showed multiple crashes with 0xc0000005 code for the game binary. Might be due to my improper DEP configuration (I had similar error codes with Rayman 2).
The launcher is fine there, that happens when the error comes from the game. Check files and folder permissons, or maybe antivirus if you've one, since the launcher is creating new files and patching some. The 800x600 setting is not necessary for the game to work. If it's not selected and you activated widescreen it'll just display an incorrect FOV, but not crash.
deton24 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:32 am Can you just apply all your patches for this V3 binary for me?
All versions but V5 use the same patched executable, since the original is packed. I tested extensively all versions with it, and everything worked just fine. I'll attach the binary, but in case it's still not working, while not ideal, I'll suggest you to try another dump, or even another version.
Attachments
TonicTrouble.zip
(424.31 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
deton24
Photographe

Post by deton24 »

Thanks.
I absolutely agree with you. I was also worrying that it might look even worse than on PC, but I wanted to try, since I can't use any tensorflow apps on my PC.
Maybe someone will do that better.
Meanwhile RayCarrot started to work on his tool to adapt it to support upscaled textures in TT, so it's closer than ever anyway. Importing/exporting textures already works in the tool (Rayman Control Panel).

edit. RCP Explorer importing feature doesn't work properly in Retail for now, it requires using GF converter with 8888 if it has transparency and 888 if it doesn't. But it works.
Last edited by deton24 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

deton24 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:46 pm I absolutely agree with you. I was also worrying that it might look even worse than on PC, but I wanted to try, since I can't use any tensorflow apps on my PC.
What do you need them for anyway?
deton24
Photographe

Post by deton24 »

I have a crash using your binaries after displaying flying Ubi Soft logo. I also tested yours dgvoodoo config.
It's not completely clean install, but old binary from PCGamingWiki works.
By accident, I found that for someone game crashed on trying to change to any resolution other than 640x480.
In this tutorial it's recommended to set the game resolution to 800x600:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQMXzlvYXI0
But validate button doesn't work for me (in main menu or in-game). It's already set to 800x600 in setup, but appears 640x480, though forced actual resolution is correct.
Following the video tutorial, I ended up with working executable.
I fixed white main menu and texture disappearing by setting Fast video memory access in dgVoodooCpl attached with original dgVoodoo files. But since I updated dgVoodoo it causes some issues with scaling 2D loading screens, they looked uglier. Bilinear bit stretch fixes that.
Does your launcher use current resolution for applying various FOV and resolution values in the executable, or is it just for 16:9?
Would be nice to have separate option to choose resolution.

Code: Select all

Nazwa dziennika:Application
Źródło:        Application Error
Data:          X
Identyfikator zdarzenia:1000
Kategoria zadania:(100)
Poziom:        Błędy
Słowa kluczowe:Klasyczny
Użytkownik:    Nie dotyczy
Komputer:      XXX
Opis:
Nazwa aplikacji powodującej błąd: TonicTrouble.exe, wersja: 0.0.0.0, sygnatura czasowa: 0x00000000
Nazwa modułu powodującego błąd: GliDX6vr.dll, wersja: 0.0.0.0, sygnatura czasowa: 0x3815a91d
Kod wyjątku: 0xc0000005
Przesunięcie błędu: 0x00010966
Identyfikator procesu powodującego błąd: 0xd78
Godzina uruchomienia aplikacji powodującej błąd: X
Ścieżka aplikacji powodującej błąd: c:\UbiSoft\Ed\TonicTrouble.exe
Ścieżka modułu powodującego błąd: c:\UbiSoft\Ed\DLL\GliDX6vr.dll
Identyfikator raportu: X
Pełna nazwa pakietu powodującego błąd: 
Identyfikator aplikacji względem pakietu powodującego błąd: 
Kod XML zdarzenia:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="X" />
    <EventRecordID>X</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>X</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>TonicTrouble.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>GliDX6vr.dll</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>3815a91d</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00010966</Data>
    <Data>d78</Data>
    <Data>01d6440983f4152f</Data>
    <Data>d:\UbiSoft\Ed\TonicTrouble.exe</Data>
    <Data>d:\UbiSoft\Ed\DLL\GliDX6vr.dll</Data>
    <Data>X</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
error.txt

Code: Select all

Texture Management : MultiTexture Enable 

Texture Management : AGP Texture Memory Detected 

X:\GameData\English\Credits.cnt : Fichier non trouve

****************************** WARNING ******************************
 Memory Bloc Module 5 Bloc 2 may not be big enought, memory corruption may occur
 Bloc Size 10000003 > 5000003
 ***************************** END WARNING ***************************

Memory Bloc Module 16 Bloc 1 may not be big enought, memory corruption may occur
 Bloc Size 1000003 > 612003

********** Level Size  : 7875086 ******** Video Card Memory Size : 252903424 ***************** SubMap Id : -1
 ********** Level Size  : 7875086 ******** Video Card Memory Size : 252903424 ***************** SubMap Id : -1
Texture Management : MultiTexture Enable 

Texture Management : AGP Texture Memory Detected 

********** Level Size  : 7875086 ******** Video Card Memory Size : 224641024 ***************** SubMap Id : -1
 ********** Level Size  : 7875086 ******** Video Card Memory Size : 224641024 ***************** SubMap Id : -1
 Memory Bloc Module 5 Bloc 2 may not be big enought, memory corruption may occur
 Bloc Size 10000003 > 5000003

Memory Bloc Module 16 Bloc 1 may not be big enought, memory corruption may occur
 Bloc Size 1000003 > 612003

********** Level Size  : 15224799 ******** Video Card Memory Size : 224641024 ***************** SubMap Id : 1
 ********** Level Size  : 15224799 ******** Video Card Memory Size : 224641024 ***************** SubMap Id : 1
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

deton24 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:20 pm I have a crash using your binaries after displaying flying Ubi Soft logo. I also tested yours dgvoodoo config.
It's not completely clean install, but old binary from PCGamingWiki works.
I can't really help on this one. This game has errors, even on old machines and without the launcher. If the game runs, everything that happens after goes by the game itself, not the launcher. And no, is not a problem with the patches, if so the game wouldn't even start in first place. It's been extensively tested, the only thing I can tell you is to use a clean copy and try again, or just use the binary that works.
deton24 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:20 pm By accident, I found that for someone game crashed on trying to change to any resolution other than 640x480.
In this tutorial it's recommended to set the game resolution to 800x600:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQMXzlvYXI0
But validate button doesn't work for me (in main menu or in-game). It's already set to 800x600 in setup, but appears 640x480, though forced actual resolution is correct.
I don't know if is just on newer systems, but the setup does nothing with the game settings, it just doesn't care. It only sets library paths and graphics driver info. You can change the video and audio options but none will work, you've to do that once in game. In my experience, on an old computer, it showed me resolutions that not even the game supports, 320x240 I think, and once in game, the resolution option was empty, and trying to change it crashed the game.

Stuff like this is out of my scope, furthermore considering that I can't replicate those problems. It might be fixable with a patch, but I really don't want to mess with that.
Gordswitch
Reclu
Tings: 685

Post by Gordswitch »

Will the launcher work with a digital backup of the DVD/CD ROM files or does it require the physical DVD/CD?
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

Gordswitch wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 pm Will the launcher work with a digital backup of the DVD/CD ROM files or does it require the physical DVD/CD?
Yes, just be sure to have all the required files/folders shown in the main post.
Gordswitch
Reclu

Post by Gordswitch »

What does the name and file format of the opening FMV need to be inorder to play upon starting the game
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

Gordswitch wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:34 pm What does the name and file format of the opening FMV need to be inorder to play upon starting the game
There's a folder "Video", and inside an ".AVI" movie. The video codec Indeo is already bundled in Windows. It should work right away.
Gordswitch
Reclu

Post by Gordswitch »

I got it working finally, although I needed to add some additional folders to make everything work properly.

I wanna add a recommendation for getting the game to work in the Installer

-First, install the game normally from a CD or mounted ISO image
-Next, copy and paste tt1.cnt-tt3.cnt from the CD or ISO to the Gamedata folder in the installed game directory, which is usually C:/Ubisoft/Ed, as well as the Videos folder
-Extract the CD or ISO to copy tt4.cnt to the Gamedata folder
-Download the Rayman 2 InputFixer and copy/paste the .dll file to the main install directory
-Download the TT Installer and place it in the install directory
-Run the installer, make sure Portable Mode and Widescreen Hack are checked in settings.

The game should now run with partial controller support
You’ll need an input wrapper program to use all the buttons on your controller.

Having Dgvoodoo installed might also help.
Hipnosis183
Tribelle

Post by Hipnosis183 »

Gordswitch wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:13 pm -First, install the game normally from a CD or mounted ISO image
-Next, copy and paste tt1.cnt-tt3.cnt from the CD or ISO to the Gamedata folder in the installed game directory, which is usually C:/Ubisoft/Ed, as well as the Videos folder
-Extract the CD or ISO to copy tt4.cnt to the Gamedata folder
As stated in the main post, while you can install the game normally, it's recommended to extract the files manually since you need those extra files that don't get copied during normal install. The file "tt4.cnt" can't be copied normally through the explorer (don't know about cmd), but RibShark was working on that, so hopefully that problem can be solved in the near future.
Gordswitch
Reclu

Post by Gordswitch »

oh sorry

by the way how would you recommend extracting tt4.cnt since it can’t just be copied over? Like what’s the best software or process to use? I’ve been using 7zip myself, but I just wanna know if there’s a better alternative