Hype: The Time Quest Widescreen

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Manu270891
Bébé Globox
Tings: 25

Hype: The Time Quest Widescreen

Post by Manu270891 »

Hi! I would like to play Hype: The Time Quest on widescreen. Just like Rayman 2 and Tonic Trouble, Hype: The Time Quest is another title based on the UbiSoft OpenSpace engine and it was released after those two games. These are the three main differences:
1- It only runs at 640x480, there isn't any resolution selector ingame or the launcher. This issue can be solved through dgVoodoo, but only for 4:3 resolutions.
2- It has two exe files, one for the DirectX renderer ("MaiD3Dvr_bleu.exe") and another for the Glide renderer ("MaiDFXvr_bleu.exe").
3- These exe files are different for each version of the game (I own the Spanish version, and the exe files aren't the same for the English version).

I already managed to modify the FOV for the no-cd patched spanish exe files (both DirectX and Glide), it works just like the Tonic Trouble Fix:
1- Find the third match on the DirectX exe or the fourth match on the Glide exe for "0000003F 0000803F".
2- Replace it with:
a) 5:4 -> "8888883F".
b) 25:16 -> "0E745A3F".
c) 16:10 -> "5555553F".
d) 15:9 -> "0000503F".
e) 16:9 -> "0000403F".
f) ~21:9 -> "0000103F".
Original FOV:
Modified FOV (16:9):

Unfortunately, I can't modify the resolution ingame to another one that matches the correct aspect ratio (like the Tonic Trouble fix) or distort the image stretching it vertically so the Wrapper stretches horizontally it again (like the Rayman 2 fix). Considering the game runs at 640x480, the hex string for this resolution should contain "80020000" (640) and "E0010000" (480). For value conversion I used Cryptii. I managed to find a Hex String that appears to modify the aspect ratio for the DirectX renderer exe. Modifying this hex string makes the game crash at the initial UbiSoft logo, but the logo looks stretched, covering the whole monitor instead of just the 4:3 portion of it:
1- Find the first match on the DirectX exe for "E0010000 68 80020000".
2- For 16:9, replace it with "D0020000 68 00050000".
a) "D0020000" means 720 and "00050000" means 1280. 1280x720 is the smallest standard 16:9 resolution, upscaling on old games should always be done through dgVoodoo to maintain the HUD size.
3- For other aspect ratios, use Cryptii to find the correct values, always using the smallest resolution.
4:3, doesn't crash:
16:9, crashes:

Could anyone help me finish this fix? Considering other OpenSpace engine games have Vert- behavior with resolutions with wider aspect ratios than 4:3, the FOV fix should be enough, just like this:

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by Manu270891 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 29054

Re: Hype: The Time Quest Widescreen

Post by RayCarrot »

Am I correct in assuming all you have left is to stretch the game to widescreeen? If so, DgVoodoo has that option.
Manu270891
Bébé Globox

Post by Manu270891 »

RayCarrot wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:02 pm Am I correct in assuming all you have left is to stretch the game to widescreeen? If so, DgVoodoo has that option.
No. The Rayman 2 fix works this way. First, the image is strectched vertically editing 0000B905 offset. Then, the wrapper (dgVoodoo/nGlide) stretches the image horizontally, so you get a Vert- Image. Then, the FOV is edited with the 0009C498 offset, which gives a perfect Hor+ widescreen image. I need the offset to vertically stretch the game, so then the wrapper stretches horizontally again, because I already have the offset for the Hor+ fix.
deton24
Photographe
Tings: 7521

Post by deton24 »

I've contacted with Automaniak005 who is a Polish YouTuber specialized also in making widescreen mods.
That's what I just got from him:

Once again I've looked into this game, and somehow I managed to get to the proportion, but the result is not entirely satisfactory.

https://www2.zippyshare.com/v/KfLoIWQT/file.html

The highest resolution that Hype supports in Glide mode is 800x600.
D3D mode did not start at all, and Glide mode started to work after downloading that patch:
http://www.zeus-software.com/files/ngli ... _patch.zip
so without upscaling you cannot do that.

Someone could say that I just set 800x450 (16:9) in this zippyshare file - except that Glide, as a driver, supports a limited amount of resolution, so the game starts in a 800x600 window with a large black band at the bottom.

Therefore, you need to start the game in a 4:3 window so that the black bottom of the window does not fit the screen. Here, dgVoodoo will be useful.
There, of course, you should set the window mode, and the best scaling method in this case is Stretched, keep 4:3 Aspect Ratio if you want to play movie cutscenes in the original proportions (but then we need to copy also the ddraw.dll from the dgVoodoo's "MS" folder, because cutscenes are played in DirectX mode).

In the Glide tab, enter a resolution with a 4:3 aspect ratio, which width will be the same as our target resolution (e.g. I want to set 1920x1080, I enter 1920x1440). This step is best done at the end before closing the dgVoodoo configurator, because the program can automatically erase the entered resolution.

Before starting the game you will need a program that (if possible) forces the positions and dimensions of the windows to cover the border and perfectly set the image of the game. I use Scott's Window Resizing Utility http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/program/swru.html

After starting the game, we open the program, look for a process called H, and we use the trial and error method to determine negative coordinates that will allow to adjust the window accordingly. At first, the window may resist the changes made, but after a few position changes, we should take control.

Issues

Everything would be cool, if there wasn't one interface problem - when the hero gets the first magic spell, a circle showing the energy that can be used to perform it, instead of surrounding the icon of the spell (which, in contrast to the circle has been stretched), appears somewhere in the center of the image.

At present, I have no ideas to solve this problem, and the modification in its current state is not satisfactory for me to [...] so I leave it to [you] in case a solution will be found, or if someone won't mind the problem.

We should also hold our horses with ultra widescreen resolutions, because at 16:9 aspect ratio, the disappearance of the elements on the sides is admittedly barely noticeable [similarly like in Rayman 2 without Cheat Engine changes].

In case of more issues with this game, see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VsI2ILlGnI but use dgVoodoo instead.
Manu270891
Bébé Globox

Post by Manu270891 »

deton24 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:21 pm I've contacted with Automaniak005 who is a Polish YouTuber specialized also in making widescreen mods.
That's what I just got from him:

Once again I've looked into this game, and somehow I managed to get to the proportion, but the result is not entirely satisfactory.

https://www2.zippyshare.com/v/KfLoIWQT/file.html

The highest resolution that Hype supports in Glide mode is 800x600.
D3D mode did not start at all, and Glide mode started to work after downloading that patch:
http://www.zeus-software.com/files/ngli ... _patch.zip
so without upscaling you cannot do that.

Someone could say that I just set 800x450 (16:9) in this zippyshare file - except that Glide, as a driver, supports a limited amount of resolution, so the game starts in a 800x600 window with a large black band at the bottom.

Therefore, you need to start the game in a 4:3 window so that the black bottom of the window does not fit the screen. Here, dgVoodoo will be useful.
There, of course, you should set the window mode, and the best scaling method in this case is Stretched, keep 4:3 Aspect Ratio if you want to play movie cutscenes in the original proportions (but then we need to copy also the ddraw.dll from the dgVoodoo's "MS" folder, because cutscenes are played in DirectX mode).

In the Glide tab, enter a resolution with a 4:3 aspect ratio, which width will be the same as our target resolution (e.g. I want to set 1920x1080, I enter 1920x1440). This step is best done at the end before closing the dgVoodoo configurator, because the program can automatically erase the entered resolution.

Before starting the game you will need a program that (if possible) forces the positions and dimensions of the windows to cover the border and perfectly set the image of the game. I use Scott's Window Resizing Utility http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/program/swru.html

After starting the game, we open the program, look for a process called H, and we use the trial and error method to determine negative coordinates that will allow to adjust the window accordingly. At first, the window may resist the changes made, but after a few position changes, we should take control.

Issues

Everything would be cool, if there wasn't one interface problem - when the hero gets the first magic spell, a circle showing the energy that can be used to perform it, instead of surrounding the icon of the spell (which, in contrast to the circle has been stretched), appears somewhere in the center of the image.

At present, I have no ideas to solve this problem, and the modification in its current state is not satisfactory for me to [...] so I leave it to [you] in case a solution will be found, or if someone won't mind the problem.

We should also hold our horses with ultra widescreen resolutions, because at 16:9 aspect ratio, the disappearance of the elements on the sides is admittedly barely noticeable [similarly like in Rayman 2 without Cheat Engine changes].

In case of more issues with this game, see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VsI2ILlGnI but use dgVoodoo instead.
Hi there!

Thanks for your answer! I've tried using your exe with the .sdb patch applied, and while the menu launches, when I start a new game, the game crashes. The menu shows with the black bottom bar you mentioned, but I cannot get in-game. I think this happens because you patched the exe for another version of the game (I only own the spanish edition of the game), so I would like you to share the changes you made to the exe file. Thanks!
deton24
Photographe
Tings: 7521

Post by deton24 »

There are different addresses for each binary version.
Don't know how long it would take to adapt all the changes into new binary.
Because it might more or less require reversing the game again and providing just your exe to easily rewrite all changes won't do the trick, because these addresses won't exist, I would persuade you to use regular (English?) version of the game.

If you want to contact with Automaniak005 anyway, just leave your comment below one of his videos as you did in the past. He answers pretty quick.