Rayman 1 Level Editor/Viewer (Ray1Map)

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 29039

Rayman 1 Level Editor/Viewer (Ray1Map)

Post by RayCarrot »

Ray1Map (working name) is an upcoming Rayman 1 level editor/viewer for all games running on the Rayman 1 engine (including the Rayman 2 prototype). It is being worked on by RayCarrot, Ryemanni, Droolie and Adsolution in Unity, similarly to RayMap.

Source code (including readme for more details): https://github.com/Adsolution/Ray1Map

Editor/viewer preview:

Example in-game edits:

Update video:
Last edited by RayCarrot on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#Rubber mark#
Bétilla
Tings: 82941

Re: Rayman 1 Level Editor/Viewer (Ray1Map)

Post by #Rubber mark# »

Amazing work, Carrot! 🤗

It's not just more powerful than the good old mapper and event editor, it also looks a lot more convenient! Who knows, maybe this will inspire people to create new maps and share them for others to play? 🤓
PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer
Location: An tír ina labhraítear (beagán ar fad) an teanga ina bhfuil sé seo scríofa
Tings: 5535

Post by PluMGMK »

This looks fantastic!
#Rubber mark# wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:50 pm Who knows, maybe this will inspire people to create new maps and share them for others to play? 🤓
Hopefully! I lost my motivation for both building maps and playing others' over a decade ago, and it would be nice if this brought it all back.
#Rubber mark#
Bétilla
Tings: 82941

Post by #Rubber mark# »

Is there a repository somewhere for Rayman Designer maps?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 568954

Post by Hunchman801 »

PluMGMK wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:09 pm Hopefully! I lost my motivation for both building maps and playing others' over a decade ago, and it would be nice if this brought it all back.
There was this one Picture City map I was kinda proud of at the time, though it's probably been gone for about 20 years now. :lol:
insert sig for RPC's 17th bday
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

We're looking for someone to help out with the UI for the Rayman 1 editor.

The groundwork for the data is there, with every release now being supported and full editing working for PC. The only thing missing now is a complete UI.

If anyone is interested and has experience working with Unity, please let me know. You don't need to be familiar with the game data structure or modding as that's separate from the UI.

PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer
Location: An tír ina labhraítear (beagán ar fad) an teanga ina bhfuil sé seo scríofa

Post by PluMGMK »

I've noticed that the latest version from git fails to compile for me because of an unresolved reference to the Sanford library. Is this because I'm trying to use it on Linux?
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

Not sure since I only have Windows. If the plugin doesn't work on Linux you could probably just remove it and uncomment the code which uses it (it's in the Jaguar manager I believe). It's only there for the Jaguar MIDI exports.
There might be other issues on Linux too though. We haven't yet taken case sensitivity into account for file paths (we need to do this when making the web version anyway though).
PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, I see now that it's included as a Windows DLL file, so I'll just have to comment out the references to it. Otherwise, I remember the editor worked pretty well the last time I tried it. :)
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

It should work in the latest commit now without any manual modifications :)
PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer

Post by PluMGMK »

Thanks! :)

Something else I've noticed is that the KitLevelDefines section ends up being 22 bytes too short whenever I try to save a Designer or Educational map. I can manually swap in the old one by hex editing, which kinda seems to work, but is this expected?
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

Ah, thanks for letting me know! I've fixed it now :)
PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer

Post by PluMGMK »

Yep, that works! :)
Now I can edit Designer levels, but the Educational ones crash the game with "Cannot read Alpha". Not sure if I should be expecting that to work yet. :oops2:
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

We haven't really done much on the educational games in terms of editing. I had assumed it would work since it does in both R1 and the Designer games, but it seems not. Taking a quick look at it now it seems the edu level files contain a lot more data towards the end which is currently not being read, and thus not written back when saving. I'll have a look and see if I can get this working soon :)
Last edited by RayCarrot on Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer

Post by PluMGMK »

OK. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. :)
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

I pushed a commit where Ray1Map now reads the alpha data. I tested to edit an EDU level and it seems to work now :)
PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer

Post by PluMGMK »

Fantastic! :D

Sorry for yet another query, but is it expected that if I change the event type (at least in edu levels) that the change doesn't save, while changes to other properties (DES, ETA, hitpoints, etc.) do? :oops2: In case you're wondering, I'm trying to add a Moskito boss to one of the Betilla's Garden levels for the lols (and to see if it works), but to do it I have to edit another object. :P

By the way, I wonder whose whimsical idea it was to call the swinging spiky fruits "TYPE_MORNINGSTAR"!
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

Sorry about that. Been doing some major refactoring to better support memory loading, as well as different types of event types (since R2 has a different enum...), so it currently wouldn't actually update the serializable type property from the editor. I've fixed that now though :) Please let me know if you find any other issues or have any questions!
Btw, let me know if you need any help finding the correct ETA index and such for your edit :P They can be a bit tricky finding.
PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer

Post by PluMGMK »

OK, I understand! I'm delighted to see so much continuous activity on the project!

Anyway, I copied the DES and ETA indices from Rayman 1, but I'm guessing that was an oversimplification, firstly because the number of sub-états for état 0 only went up to 7 (whereas Rayman 1 used number 13) and secondly because this was the result: :fou:
There's a potential lewd comment to be made about this, I'm sure of it…
There's a potential lewd comment to be made about this, I'm sure of it…
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

I tried looking and I couldn't find an ETA which matched exactly. ETA 10 seems the closest to the Moskito one, so might be it.

The indexes are different for each game, so just copying them sadly won't work. That's also why we currently don't allow adding events from the drop-down in EDU as we'd need to find the indexes for everything all over again :P Designer is a lot nicer as it has a file table for the DES and ETA file names, so you can use that instead.

Another issue with what you're doing is that the boss has commands:
Unity_2020-07-05_19-35-38.png
Currently Ray1Map can't edit those, just display them. Then there are also the always commands which need to be added, but the game luckily works without them usually (if you forget the bullet always events for the Hunter he'll just not fire anything, so the game won't crash).

It's cool seeing that the boss health bar appeared at least :P