[RIPPING] 2D Rayman Sprites and Backgrounds

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Cairnie
Magicien
Tings: 73395

Re: [RIPPING] 2D Rayman Sprites and Backgrounds

Postby Cairnie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Maybe that explains the whole "collectable antitoons" thing in one of the old betas

http://www.raymanpc.com/wiki/en/File:Ra ... arDemo.png
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff

Haruka
Rayman 2
Location: Earth: Occidental Lusitanian strand ; Glade of Dreams: Deep in the forests
Tings: 178650

Postby Haruka » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 pm

True.

But they changed their mind later, but they forgot to edit the respective animation.
Waiting for a new 3D title since 2003... Until there, fallen in a long nap...

Electoon
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 11785

Postby Electoon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:59 pm

That's what I had always assumed. I also thought that the 'collectable antitoons' in the beta were actually early versions of Electoons with a different colour scheme, because of this connection, as well as the happy face on the icon. It also probably explains why Electoons fly up whenever Rayman dies, as it's kind of a video game cliche of sorts for an animation of the player character loosing their pick-ups (coins etc) when they die. Just what I'd always thought anyway :P

Betaman
Matuvu
Tings: 145

Postby Betaman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:58 pm

That's a little bit disturbing, considering the fact that Rayman himself is made out of Electoons.
Something else I noticed, I have remade sprites of the SNES Anti-Toon sprites. I could upload them if you want me to.

Also, I thought that the anti-toons meter was a counter for how many enemies you killed, sorta like the monster face from Mario Land 2.

CheatCat
Chef Dragon
Tings: 18630

Postby CheatCat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Betaman wrote:Also, I thought that the anti-toons meter was a counter for how many enemies you killed, sorta like the monster face from Mario Land 2.

There is no such thing in Mario Land 2 :S
My girlfriend should have a great pair of... eyes.

Electoon
Garatta Ciatik

Postby Electoon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Betaman wrote:That's a little bit disturbing, considering the fact that Rayman himself is made out of Electoons.

I always thought that was just a fan interpretation of the death animation...

Betaman
Matuvu

Postby Betaman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:24 pm

CheatCat wrote:
Betaman wrote:Also, I thought that the anti-toons meter was a counter for how many enemies you killed, sorta like the monster face from Mario Land 2.

There is no such thing in Mario Land 2 :S

Yeah there is. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Land_2.png Between the coins and time meter, there is a face. That face tracks how many enemies you defeated. In that screenshot, Mario has defeated 3 enemies already.

On a lighter note, I've started work on a remake of Rayman. I plan to add the best of EVERY port that was released. The added "intermissions" and bits of music from the Atari Jaguar Version that were omitted from the CD music ports, with Re-orchestrated Music tracks to add the omitted parts back in. (A GOOD example of this is the Pink Plant Woods Track's bassline from the Jaguar version.I currently have Pink Plant Woods partially finished at this time .), The transitions and extended victory song from the Sega Saturn version, the Particle and added effects from the PC version, and the cool recoloured items that were seen in the PSX version. These sprites worked wonders for me, as I didn't want to use the dithered Rayman Advance spriteset that everyone else uses.

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156585

Postby spiraldoor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Which version’s sound effects are you planning to incorporate? I think the PlayStation version’s are the best; the sounds in the Saturn version are too squeaky and high-pitched, and the ones in the PC version (the popping Tings, the characters’ vocalisations etc) are simply bad.

Cairnie
Magicien
Tings: 73395

Postby Cairnie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Oh man the PC version's ones. When I was ripping those voice clips I tried pitching them to match the PS1 ones but in the end I was like fuck it I'll leave them as is. Can't remember the last time I posted a RAR of them but using the search bar should find you the sounds I did upload.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff

Haruka
Rayman 2
Location: Earth: Occidental Lusitanian strand ; Glade of Dreams: Deep in the forests

Postby Haruka » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:30 pm

I never played the Saturn or the Jaguar version but despite of me being originally a PC player of Rayman 1, the Playstation 1 version wins for me. The jingles in the PS1 are simply better than normal poppings (which almost remind me the popcorns). However, the PC version has got a more interesting first level fragment of Bongo Hills, more generally difficult places to find the cages, and the Saturn version has got level transition animations (that we see before a level starting in the PC version).

Betaman
Matuvu

Postby Betaman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:37 pm

For some sounds, I plan on using the Jaguar version (Yes, some sounds ARE superior to the other versions.). The rest however, go with the Playstation version.
I also plan on re recording the Magician's speech at the beginning of the game(No, arguments over which one was better please.) along with an enhanced movie clip that adds in the still pictures from the Jaguar version.(There are only one or two that do this and when they do, they simply slide across the screen.) One of the coolest things that this remake will do, in my opinion of course, is FINALLY give the floating gift box on the map screen a function. In this remake, if you beat Mr. Dark and find a hidden cage in Candy Chateau, you can finally gain access to the gift box. Entering this gift box does something special, but I won't tell what it is yet. All I can say about it is "I hope you liked Rayman and Rayman 2 2D!"

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156585

Postby spiraldoor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:54 pm

Re-recording the Magician’s speech? As in your own voice? I don’t imagine that would go down well with the Europeans who are used to the European voice... or the Americans who are used to the American voice... or anyone really. Why not include both, and add an American flag to the language-selection screen so that the player’s choice will determine the voice they hear?

I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to slide the images from the Jaguar version across the the FMV clip – wouldn’t that block parts of it out? I think it would be better for you to include the Jaguar intro as a bonus – maybe the Jaguar intro could play if the player presses certain buttons during the ‘brick wall’ animation? That way even the Jaguar-exclusive text wouldn’t be lost – everyone would be happy with this.

Giving a function to the giant gift box is a great idea – I think it would make a lot of sense to place the Breakout minigame there, but what you have in mind sounds interesting too. Some sort of R2 link? Does it make pre-Henchmen 800 show up in the other levels or something?

Betaman
Matuvu

Postby Betaman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:14 pm

spiraldoor wrote:Re-recording the Magician’s speech? As in your own voice? I don’t imagine that would go down well with the Europeans who are used to the European voice... or the Americans who are used to the American voice... or anyone really. Why not include both, and add an American flag to the language-selection screen so that the player’s choice will determine the voice they hear?

Perhaps I should have explained more. Me and my friends are re-recording the clip, one for each reigon. I will do the American voice and my friends will do the rest.

I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to slide the images from the Jaguar version across the the FMV clip – wouldn’t that block parts of it out? I think it would be better for you to include the Jaguar intro as a bonus – maybe the Jaguar intro could play if the player presses certain buttons during the ‘brick wall’ animation? That way even the Jaguar-exclusive text wouldn’t be lost – everyone would be happy with this.

The images that actually are used will be placed in unimportant cutscenes such as the zoom in on the valley (They have transparency so that you can see the video as well.) The Jaguar version of the intro WILL be in the game just like you said, as a secret in the brick wall cutscene. The only "real" change to the intro is the final shot of Mr. Dark when the magician asks "But will the bad guys let him do it?". This is changed from Mr. Dark watching Rayman to the shot of him looming over Rayman from the Jaguar version. The reason that I used this is because I thought that fit more with the line than Mr. Dark spying on Rayman with binoculars. The Binoculars shot is now placed after starting a new game.(Because the intro is placed after the Logo, which in itself, is a surprise.)

Giving a function to the giant gift box is a great idea – I think it would make a lot of sense to place the Breakout minigame there, but what you have in mind sounds interesting too. Some sort of R2 link? Does it make pre-Henchmen 800 show up in the other levels or something?

The Breakout minigame is found the same way it was in the Jaguar version (Speaking of which, I am adding some of the cooler features seen in the Jaguar version, such as Bzzit shooting enemies Gradius style and the changed areas seen. Don't worry though, the PS1 and Sega Saturn as well as the PC Version are found in this one as well.) I cannot tell you the secret of the Gift box at this time however, that's a special surprise reserved for the end of the game.

But, I've yakked on too much about this project. I'll make a topic for it in a minute, for now let's get back on topic with the sprites.
So, should I upload the SNES Anti-Toon sprites?

Haruka
Rayman 2

Postby Haruka » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Can I also give a suggestion for the gift box?

Why not that give not only the access to the Breakout minigame, but also for extra content?

Betaman
Matuvu

Postby Betaman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:06 am

Any extra content that is to be found can be found in the pause menu, but that's a good idea nonetheless. I'm still working on the topic, so don't fret. It;ll be up soon.
EDIT!!! It's up now. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7002
It contains info on the game and a screenshot of the test version!

Rayrobi
Clark
Tings: 115130

Postby Rayrobi » Sun May 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Anybody got the RRR GBA Rayman sprites? i need them so much

Electoon
Garatta Ciatik

Postby Electoon » Mon May 30, 2011 5:21 pm

I do know where you can find Rayman 3 GBA sprites, which are basically the same thing:

http://tsgk.captainn.net/sheets/gameboyadvance/rayman3hoodlumhavoc_rayman_sheet.png

Enjoy!

Rayrobi
Clark
Tings: 115130

Postby Rayrobi » Tue May 31, 2011 4:46 pm

Sorry, it's isn't load the sprites, and i looking for the Rayman Raving Rabbids GBA sprites. I searched it with google but no "fine" result.

Electoon
Garatta Ciatik

Postby Electoon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Try this link instead, it should work:

http://tsgk.captainn.net/?p=showgame&t=sy&sy=4&ga=71

Drolpiraat
Oumbr
Tings: 52485

Postby Drolpiraat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey Rayrobi, there are lots of spritesheets from RRR GBA on The Spriters Resource:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/gamebo ... /raymanrr/

Return to “Modding and utilities”