Upa's Rayman 1 Playstation GameShark/Action Replay Codes

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

upaluppa
Paluchard
Tings: 205

Re: Upa's Rayman 1 Playstation GameShark/Action Replay Codes

Postby upaluppa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Wiiola wrote:I remember having a PC version of Rayman Brain Games (known for me as "Rayman teaches Maths and Polish") and I was very lucky to perform a glitch of some sort which made me able to make Rayman run anytime I wanted him to do that (in the last level only)... It was such an amount of luck...

I'm 70% positive the unused death animation was, in fact, used when Rayman comes in contact with his "Wicked double" (AKA Bad Rayman). I'll check it up...

As for the midget in the educational games - I'm 85% sure there are drumsticks there. I'll check it up...

Do you remember what caused that glitch?
Would be interesting to reproduce it, I guess!

It probably involves Mr Dark's running spell, right?

About that death animation, if you mean it was used by Bad Rayman when he "dies", I can assure you that it is not the same animation.
Bad Rayman just falls into pieces and disappears...

I am good enough at playing Rayman to get through the game without using up any continues nowadays (that was different, back when I first played the game as a little one, haha.. :P ) so my memory of the game over scene with that alarm clock is a bit fuzzy but I think the animation I found might be used on the game over screen if you let the time run out instead of pressing a button.

I'll do a comparison of both animations later!

And for the Drum Sticks in the learning games, Rayman Brain Games should have some of them in the Band Land word spelling stage if my memory serves me right! I don't recall encountering any of them in English with Rayman but about the Brain Games (or their PC equivalent) I am quite sure that there are Drum Sticks in that level!

It's not the Maraca Rocket one, it's the "Allegro Presto" style stage in which you have to collect all the letters which make up the word given by the magic hat!

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156585

Postby spiraldoor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 pm

A different animation plays if you lose all your lives when you have zero continues left.

Wiiola
Sulfator
Tings: 2115

Postby Wiiola » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 pm

upaluppa wrote:Do you remember what caused that glitch?
Would be interesting to reproduce it, I guess!
It probably involves Mr Dark's running spell, right?

Yes, this involved the running spell.
I kind of remember it. It involved pressing the action button at the right moment (while the running spell was wearing off) - afterwards you would be able to make Rayman run. After that accidental success I tried to do that many times, so I think I was extremely lucky that day...

About that death animation, if you mean it was used by Bad Rayman when he "dies", I can assure you that it is not the same animation.
Bad Rayman just falls into pieces and disappears...

I am good enough at playing Rayman to get through the game without using up any continues nowadays (that was different, back when I first played the game as a little one, haha.. :P ) so my memory of the game over scene with that alarm clock is a bit fuzzy but I think the animation I found might be used on the game over screen if you let the time run out instead of pressing a button.

I'll do a comparison of both animations later!

I just wasted all the lives and continues to see that you've got a point - the death animation is a lot diffrent than the one I was talking about (not doing anything just sends you back to the main menu if you didn't lose all the continues). (Something random - since I didn't want to listen to the "you're dead now" tune, I played the first song I had in my mind - One Republic's "Good life". The irony...)

And for the Drum Sticks in the learning games, Rayman Brain Games should have some of them in the Band Land word spelling stage if my memory serves me right! I don't recall encountering any of them in English with Rayman but about the Brain Games (or their PC equivalent) I am quite sure that there are Drum Sticks in that level!

Both of them contain the Drumsticks - after all most of the levels are the same!
(The Brain games equivalent has more stages of levels than English with Rayman)

It's not the Maraca Rocket one, it's the "Allegro Presto" style stage in which you have to collect all the letters which make up the word given by the magic hat!

Yep, those are the levels they are in... I checked it and you're right...

upaluppa
Paluchard

Postby upaluppa » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Just wanted to say, I just replayed the PSX version of Rayman Junior (Level 1) and interestingly the flat Rayman animation IS INCLUDED in the game!
That's right, if you get hit by Drum Sticks in the educational PSX Rayman games you are transformed into a midget!
It's just the original Rayman game on the Playstation which lacks this gameplay element.

Well, this only seems logical as the midget effect for the Drum Sticks was added into versions of the game which came after the Playstation release and thus the Playstation port of the Rayman Junior PC game obviously includes all the little things that were added into the PC versions of the Rayman games.
This also explains why small color differences such as the bow ties on the nenuphars, the red instead of yellow spiky fruits and the "Popcorn" sound of the Tings from the PC version are found in the PSX Rayman Junior.

By the way, is it just me, or are the colors of the sprites and backgrounds in the PSX ports of those educational Rayman games really downgraded compared to Rayman 1?

Some objects, like plums and waterlilies look somewhat "washed-out" in that game but I am unsure whether it is an emulation issue or just the way the graphics look in that game...

Edit:
I just hacked an exciting new code for the Playstation Rayman 1!
It replaces Rayman's fist with different objects!

Rayman shoots Flying Rings! They just slide across the whole level before disappearing off-screen!

Now Rayman can make his own Extra Life Statues!

Haha, Rayman is shooting Electoons this time! They actually seem to enjoy it! :D

Spawning the Magician in Candy Chateau! I really wonder where he will take me...

I found an unused object! This tiny clock starts playing a cool, upbeat music track if you get close to it!

Here's the code:

Code: Select all

Fist Spawn Modifier (US Version)
301F4E10 00XX

Fist Spawn Modifier (EU Version)
301F69C8 00XX

Yeah, I finally obtained the PAL versions of Rayman 1 and 2, so from now on I'll be able to hack my codes for both regions! :)
To use this cheat you just have to replace the XX part with any hexadecimal value! (Anything in the range of 00 to FF should work just fine)

Each value stands for a different object!
Which one you ask?
I have no clue, I guess you'll just have to try and see for yourself!

And here are some object values I gathered while testing the hack in the Bad Rayman level of Candy Chateau:

Code: Select all

Musical Clock (Unused)
Mute Clock (Unused)
Ting
Extra Life
Golden Fist
Fist (Default)
2E
Weird Sparkle
2F
Never Returning Fist
Flying Ring
Moving Cloud
3E
Level End Sign
Electoon
Broken Cage
5B
Stone Man Beam
5D
Magician
Punch Effect
Mr Dark (Bad Rayman Spell)
Mr Dark's Spell
6A
Rayman
Rayman Body Part
Sparks
Clown's Water Drop
Clown's Explosion
8C
Clown's Bomb
Tiny Rayman
Lemonade Splat
Lemonade Splash
Bad Rayman
9C
Nothing
9D
Purple Square
A4
Unknown Object (Causes Slowdown)
C0
Glitched Object
CC
Unknown Object (Crashes Game)
D2

I am quite sure that the values are different for every level, so this list only applies to the Bad Rayman stage!
For other levels, just play around with the cheat, enter some random values and see what you can get!

If you find any interesting objects, unused ones, for example be sure to post about them in the thread, ok?
By the way, I am going to port this hack to Rayman Junior and the Rayman 2 2D Prototype, so expect an update later today!
With that being said, have fun! :wink:
Last edited by upaluppa on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 536250

Postby Hunchman801 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:29 pm

upaluppa wrote:By the way, is it just me, or are the colors of the sprites and backgrounds in the PSX ports of those educational Rayman games really downgraded compared to Rayman 1?

Some objects, like plums and waterlilies look somewhat "washed-out" in that game but I am unsure whether it is an emulation issue or just the way the graphics look in that game...
I noticed the same thing when adding snapshots from Rayman Junior to RayWiki.
incognito wrote:Saucisson pastèque

upaluppa
Paluchard

Postby upaluppa » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:17 pm

Hunchman801 wrote:I noticed the same thing when adding snapshots from Rayman Junior to RayWiki.

Now that I think about it, I am almost sure that it is simply a way of keeping the size of the game small, so they could fit it all on the disc.
I think the graphics were compressed and/or reduced in quality to make them take up less space.

The intro and epilogue videos were also heavily compressed compared to the PC originals and the voice samples of Betilla and the Magician are even worse, they sound really distorted in the European Playstation version of Rayman Junior. (Sometimes it is really hard to make out what they are saying, especially while the background music is playing)

The reason for this is probably the huge amount of voice samples (and all of them multiple languages for the European releases!) included in these games which obviously take up a lot of space...

Here's a quick comparison I did:

First the Playstation versions:
ImageImage
Original Rayman on the left, Rayman Junior on the right. (I removed the raindrops in Rayman 1 with a hack for better comparison)
The reduced sprite quality is clearly visible on the plum fruit's light reflection, even the Tings counter was downgraded slightly!
Due to this most of the sprites in this game appear slightly brighter compared to their Rayman 1 equivalents.

And for completeness sake, the PC versions:
ImageImage
The PC version of Rayman Junior retains the same graphic quality as the PC Rayman 1.
Only the PSX version was downgraded.

There's also a strange case of buggy sprite overlay in the PSX Rayman Junior - Rayman's shoes turn partially invisible when he is standing on a plum:

And did you know that all Extra Life Statues except for one (in Butterweed Bog, if I am not mistaken) were removed from the Playstation version?
I guess they just forgot to remove that remaining one! :)

The hiding spots for the Extra Life Statues are still there, tough!
It's annoying, you take the pain of overcoming all those obstacles only to find out that the hidden place you just reached contains absolutely nothing...

On a side note:
Did anyone notice that the background from the rising water level of Rayman 1 was mirrored for the PC version's Bzzit fight level? I never noticed this until I made these comparison shots... :P

The Playstation version uses the background from the 1st Anguish Lagoon level for the Bzzit fight.
The other background is "exclusive" to the rising water level in the Playstation version!

Also, the PC version uses the dark thunderstorm weather effect from one of the Bongo Hills levels for the rising water stage!
The Playstation version does not!

Those were my two cents on Rayman 1 and Junior version comparison. Somehow I totally love pointing out differences between different game versions!

da1
Obus à Pattes
Tings: 358

Postby da1 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Wow... All this things what you discoverd... UbiSoft programers are realy lazy. If you just search in R1 and R2, how many stuff waiting for discover in R3 and RRR? In PSX games was realy compresed to fit game on one CD, so what we could found in other platform versions?

spiraldoor
Mr Dark

Postby spiraldoor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:13 pm

da1 wrote:Wow... All this things what you discoverd... UbiSoft programers are realy lazy.

Or maybe they had more important things to do than hunt down and delete unused material.

da1
Obus à Pattes

Postby da1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Mabe. But it's less likely.

spiraldoor
Mr Dark

Postby spiraldoor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm

da1 wrote:Mabe. But it's less likely.

Considering the fact that they were working hard on a very important game and had an impending deadline by which they had to have completed it, I think it is extremely likely that they had better things to do than hunt down and delete unused material which was buried deep in the disc.

da1
Obus à Pattes

Postby da1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Waaah. Sorry, I forgot to add [sarcasm][/sarcam] tag over that post. I thought that in this forum users are enough inteligent to understand that (mabe not as sophisticated, but still) joke. Anyway, the list of undeleted stuff in UbisSoft games is bigger than one in average game from other developer. If other studios got time and desire to delete it... I can't find other way then laziness.

CheatCat
Chef Dragon
Tings: 18630

Postby CheatCat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:06 pm

da1 wrote:Waaah. Sorry, I forgot to add [sarcasm][/sarcam] tag over that post. I thought that in this forum users are enough inteligent to understand that (mabe not as sophisticated, but still) joke. Anyway, the list of undeleted stuff in UbisSoft games is bigger than one in average game from other developer. If other studios got time and desire to delete it... I can't find other way then laziness.

What? I have seen much undeleted stuff in various games, not made by UbiSoft. And what is the deal with that, deleting is just stupid when you can have other uses for stuff.
My girlfriend should have a great pair of... eyes.

Wiiola
Sulfator
Tings: 2115

Postby Wiiola » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:19 pm

@ da1: If you're saying this, you've never seen any Sonic games and all the leftover stuff there...

spiraldoor
Mr Dark

Postby spiraldoor » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:21 pm

da1 wrote:Waaah. Sorry, I forgot to add [sarcasm][/sarcam] tag over that post. I thought that in this forum users are enough inteligent to understand that (mabe not as sophisticated, but still) joke. Anyway, the list of undeleted stuff in UbisSoft games is bigger than one in average game from other developer. If other studios got time and desire to delete it... I can't find other way then laziness.
I’m sorry I wasn’t intelligent or sophisticated enough to appreciate your cutting-edge humour. Here’s what you suggest you should have said:

da1 wrote:
spiraldoor wrote:
da1 wrote:Wow... All this things what you discoverd... UbiSoft programers are realy lazy.
Or maybe they had more important things to do than hunt down and delete unused material.
[sarcasm]Mabe. But it's less likely.[/sarcasm]
Ah, I get it now! Good one! LOL!

da1
Obus à Pattes

Postby da1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 am

<Desperately flips through the manual of cut retort>

Haruka
Rayman 2
Location: Earth: Occidental Lusitanian strand ; Glade of Dreams: Deep in the forests
Tings: 178650

Postby Haruka » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:26 pm

It is better to think first in what we are going to say before saying it.
Waiting for a new 3D title since 2003... Until there, fallen in a long nap...

da1
Obus à Pattes

Postby da1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Right, but what we have to do when we already said something without thinking?

Return to “Modding and utilities”