Rayman 2 Dreamcast AI Upscaled Texture Pack

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Granville
Incrediball
Tings: 390

Rayman 2 Dreamcast AI Upscaled Texture Pack

Post by Granville »

Recently, the Dreamcast emulator known as Flycast (a fork of Reicast by Flyinghead) was updated with a fix for the texture duplication glitch that had previously prevented me from creating a texture pack. So I have now ported over my PC upscales to the Dreamcast version, and also upscaled the Dreamcast exclusive textures as well. Link can be found here-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-k7vu3 ... sp=sharing

You need the entire folder named 17707N. Keep the name of the folder as-is, that is the game ID the emulator needs to load the textures. Flycast has both a standalone version as well as a core available for Retroarch. I have only tested this pack out on Windows, but theoretically it should also work on Android devices and other platforms that Flycast supports (possibly Nintendo Switch as well for example). You can download the Retroarch core from within Retroarch itself, or find the standalone builds here-
https://flyinghead.github.io/flycast-builds/

If you're using the standalone version of Flycast, you need to place the 17707N folder in the following sub directory of wherever Flycast is located (create the folders if necessary)-
\data\textures

If you're using the Retroarch core, place the 17707N folder in this subdirectory where Retroarch is installed (again create whatever folders you need)-
\system\dc\textures

Both variants of the emulator have an option in the menu (under core options inside Retroarch) to enable "load custom textures". You need to switch that on. The rest of the setup is up to you. I will mention that I had graphical glitches when trying to run the emulator with OpenGL (even without the texture pack enabled) and had to switch to the Vulkan setting instead. I'm unsure if this is a current bug with the emulator or just a problem on my end. But keep that in mind if you run into problems.
#Rubber mark#
Murfy
Tings: 83021

Re: Rayman 2 Dreamcast AI Upscaled Texture Pack

Post by #Rubber mark# »

Does this make it the ultimate version of Rayman 2? 😜

Anyway, I'll try it later today and let you know.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8652

Post by deton24 »

It won't be any better for now.
OP made it the best as possible, by using textures from the best source, sometimes getting them from various ports/versions/installments, but in most cases it's based on PC version which turned out to be best for AI upscale (which technique was also properly selected by some testings).
If someone will do that better, than it will be complete remake of almost all textures from scratch. It's not likely gonna happen. It's like ~1400 photos in total. Tons of work IMHO.
#Rubber mark#
Murfy
Tings: 83021

Post by #Rubber mark# »

Aren't PS2 models (not the textures) more detailed though? Not that it is even possible to use them in the Dreamcast version anyway. 😬

(Still trying to get my Dreamcast emulator to work by the way... 😠)
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Nice work! I haven't tried them in game just yet, but I can see that the textures are 4x the resolution they originally were. :up:
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

#Rubber mark# wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:02 pm Aren't PS2 models (not the textures) more detailed though? Not that it is even possible to use them in the Dreamcast version anyway. 😬
Yeah, the levels are completely different so I can't see how you'd get that to work without actually importing them.
closer1000
Lums Vert
Tings: 88

Post by closer1000 »

Any way we can get a fix for this texture? It's the only thing getting in the way of this being perfect.

https://bytemeta.vip/repo/flyinghead/flycast/issues/486
Crash267
Bracadabreur
Tings: 3961

Post by Crash267 »

Huh this reminds of what nerrel did for majora's mask great work guys
pick a Snow cone? :mefiant: :manger: :lol:
red snow cone? https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAE
Blue snow cone?https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/christma ... nouncement
Green snow conehttps://www.jibjab.com/view/make-previe ... 5e53dabe23
CHRISTMAS! has came hooray hooray have a good day :noel: :noelfou: :noelnoir:
Granville
Incrediball

Post by Granville »

This pack is just upscaled with an AI program. Nerrel's MM texture pack is fully custom redrawn, it's far more impressive. A lot of the time AI upscales don't look good, but I was lucky to have found a model that works pretty well with most of Rayman's artistic textures.

That said, I (finally) updated the pack to fix the white sparkle glitch. So redownload to correct it.

Incidentally, I want to release a pack for Revolution as well since PCSX2 has supported texture replacement for a while now. It's been "mostly" complete since earlier this year, but I still need to do a full playthrough with all the nooks and crannies to get everything possible dumped. PS2 also has some unique textures not found in other versions. I've had a very rough year though and haven't had a lot of time. Lots of extreme stress and ongoing health issues with both myself and my mom have gotten in the way of free time.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

deton24 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:42 am Take good care of yourself. We're not going anywhere :D We've waited a year, we'll wait another.

Please link this Nerrel's MM texture pack. Cannot find it (at least not for Rayman 2).
He's talking about Nerrel's Majora's Mask HD Texture Pack. If you want to check it out for yourself watch his YT video he did on it. It's ridiculously impressive.

"Troublesome isn't it, and untidy too." - The Magician from Rayman
gamcare
Électoon
Tings: 10

Post by gamcare »

The textures pack extract to a double folder called 17707N.
Is that correct? Should the install path be
flycast\data\textures\17707N\17707N ?

I also tried flycast\data\textures\17707N\
But there is no confirmation of the texture pack being loaded.
Are there some screenshot comparisons maybe?
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

gamcare wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:47 pm The textures pack extract to a double folder called 17707N.
Is that correct? Should the install path be
flycast\data\textures\17707N\17707N ?

I also tried flycast\data\textures\17707N\
But there is no confirmation of the texture pack being loaded.
Are there some screenshot comparisons maybe?
flycast\data\textures\17707N\ is correct. Make sure you have load custom textures enabled in Flycast.
"Troublesome isn't it, and untidy too." - The Magician from Rayman
.MP4
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by .MP4 »

Is there a way to use this on redream?