Extracted textures for PC HD AI upscale of Tonic Trouble retail [download] [PNG]

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8642

Extracted textures for PC HD AI upscale of Tonic Trouble retail [download] [PNG]

Post by deton24 »

Edit. 2022 - AI upscale is being prepared by Garo and ICUP321 collects textures from various game versions including demos.
Edit. It's done. See posts below.

Hello. I wrote this topic because I'm looking for some daredevils for a project of Tonic Trouble PC Retail AI texture mod.
I cannot use Tensorflow apps myself because of CPU w/o AVX and no Nvidia GPU. That's why I'm looking for some other people.

Texture replacing work only in retail version, SE version crashes after replacing any textures.

What models possibly would you need to use in the project?
- waifu2x-caffe with the 2-D illust (Cunet) Model
works best with tonic trouble from what Garo tested
- ESRGAN Fatality V2 (used in R2 mod, though granvilismus said he would rather look for other one for TT textures)
- Fatality Pixels (Hakyra blends it with the above for R3 textures)
- Manga109attempt (these are used by Hakyra on some Rayman 3 textures)
- Gigapixel (didn't give better results than above in R3 if I'm not mistaken)

There's N64 AI HD TexMod already but PC textures are in much better resolution than N64, and Special Edition are bigger than retail version an they can be reused.

Rayman Control Panel allows to replace all the textures automatically in textures.cnt, in high resolution (tested at least 2x, but much higher should be supported, just be aware to not exceed 2GB file size of textures.cnt).
Remember to use texture synchronization feature after texture replacing (it's in "utilities").

If you have any problems with the game on modern systems, see this page:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tonic_Trouble
It contains some fixes with widescreen patch.

Here are all the textures in PNG, ready to upscale (retail ones replaced by some bigger Second Edition equivalents):
https://yadi.sk/d/yqqwaRTnH2Ee0A

Here you can find video tutorial on the example of Rayman 3 how to replace all the textures in the game using Rayman Control Panel:
https://youtu.be/EqqXKQYW9B8
For Tonic Trouble, the eneral idea is the same but I don't remember correctly whether Tonic Trouble is on the game list, so at worse you need to get to "utilities" page and open "CNT explorer" and manually find textures.cnt archive in Tonic Trouble\Data and then the process is the same like in the video. So you just need to chose folder with all the textures with their subfolders, and then they will be automatically replaced. In the very end, you need to use "textures sync" feature in "utilities".

I talked with granvillimus in the past about the details of the project, and he said that the textures differ from those from Rayman 2, and said he will have to find another AI model for them, but so far I have no further news from him (recently he worked on Revolution AI tex mod).
If anyone else is interested, above is a package with all the necessary textures, replaced with duplicates from beta version in higher resolution, so they should be used for upscale in Retail version. The only problem of this package are additional textures from Special Edition which haven't been deleted. I don't know how big problem it might be during making the upscale, but keeping additional textures shouldn't be a problem for game logic since it won't load them anyway so it shouldn't crash the game.

If you really need to get rid of the additional SE textures, but keeping those which repeats in Retail, you should somehow prevent the system from copying from SE version any other textures than those already present in Retail, so those now replaced in Retail textures folder, get rid of the new. Maybe I have an idea how to do that. I know that Total Commander might have some folders comparison tool, but the result might be not exportable as a txt list. If I had a list of these additional files in txt, then I can write a bat script easily, even using Excel. Probably I should look for some other tool for listing comparison results in txt. Additional textures might be a problem if you need to inspect every single texture.
I can upload separate texture folders from both Retail and Special Edition version if someone wants.
Garo
Incrediball
Tings: 390

Re: Anyone wants to make PC HD AI upscale of Tonic Trouble textures? [PNG textures download]

Post by Garo »

"Troublesome isn't it, and untidy too." - The Magician from Rayman
Garo
Incrediball
Tings: 390

Re: Extracted textures for PC HD AI upscale of Tonic Trouble retail [download] [PNG]

Post by Garo »

Tonic Trouble Special Edition now has an AI upscaled texture pack as well! Check it out here!
"Troublesome isn't it, and untidy too." - The Magician from Rayman
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Re: Extracted textures for PC HD AI upscale of Tonic Trouble retail [download] [PNG]

Post by Elite Piranha »

That's great, I'll try to check it out later.