Who likes modding Rayman 2 & 3?

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
SilentSanctuary
Barbara
Tings: 11395

Re: Who likes modding Rayman 2 & 3?

Post by SilentSanctuary »

Thank you very, very much, MixerX!
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

SilentSanctuary wrote:Could you please release that tool for editing Rayman 2 texts? I really like translating games (to Finnish, I'm a Finn) so would it be possible for you to release the tool?
I am also interested in this. I would like to create a translation of Rayman 2 to the Portuguese language.

Didn't notice this thread before but great job!

EDIT: Nevermind, I noticed there was an update. Thank you! :D

EDIT 2: I am having a problem. When I open the file it closes automatically. Any help, please?
GOT4N
Photographe
Tings: 400

Post by GOT4N »

Did you open the file with cmd?
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

I did, but it closed right after I executed it.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Open Cmd.exe via the search bar on the start menu, and use "CD" followed by the pathname to where the files are, then type in the name of the file to run it.

Opening a file directly will run it in CMD, but it closes once the file has finished.
bunnieblaster
Master Kaag
Tings: 6995

Post by bunnieblaster »

Do you know if it would be possible to extract text from the Rayman 2 demo? I've tried it using your tool but it crashes, unfortunately.

EDIT: I'm having some trouble with importing text back into a sna file, it tells me "Error on line #1! TAB count less than two or more than four.". This happens even if I export a .txt file and then re-import it without making changes.
MixerX
Moine
Tings: 550

Post by MixerX »

bunnieblaster wrote:Do you know if it would be possible to extract text from the Rayman 2 demo? I've tried it using your tool but it crashes, unfortunately.

EDIT: I'm having some trouble with importing text back into a sna file, it tells me "Error on line #1! TAB count less than two or more than four.". This happens even if I export a .txt file and then re-import it without making changes.
Hello, sorry for delayed reply, it's better to send me an email :). It's not possible to get text from any other version of Rayman 2. I'd have to look for the correct encryption key and do some more adjusting. Not sure if it's worth the time.

For the second thing, it's actually weird. It worked for other people too. Are you sure you're not making any modifications to the file? Like, opening and saving it. Your text editor might have changed the coding from DOS to something else. Make sure you don't have any codepage or coding adjustments set in your text editor.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

I am having trouble to import the text back to the sna file. It insists on "Error on line #1! TAB count less than two or more than four.". Any help?
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

I already had such troubles with the R2 text editor and I think it's because there isn't enough text or too much text on line 1.
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

What editor did you use to edit the text file? Maybe it's turning TABs into spaces?
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

I'm using Notepad++ to alter the text, but I wanted to make a primary test to see how the intro would look like.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, MixerX said above that the coding should stay DOS. Are you sure you're not changing it when you save it?
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

That is why I started by scratch from a new file. Probably messed up somewhere. I see you did an Irish translation. I am seeing if I can bring a Portuguese one into the surface. :D

EDIT: I believe the problem might be the excess of text in few lines but I wonder how can control that without being constantly exporting one line by one.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, the text limits are by chunks rather than by individual lines. So you can cut down a lot by removing unused lines like "Did you remember to say goodbye to Ly?" and such.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

The unused text doesn't appear until the very end, so if you're doing it from the top you'll just have to try and rewrite it to use less words or keep on editing the text in case that will eventually reduce the amount of letters.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

Would be handy if I knew by heart which lines are just fillers for I could cut text. At least I think for now I finished to translate the menu commands and most of the start of the game (intro + Woods of Light). But I need to make few typo fixes and optimizations of space (avoiding words to escape the screen area or big black spaces in the boxes).

In the attachement I send few things I already managed to do.
Attachments
Rayman2 2017-03-19 17-48-03-38.jpg
Rayman2 2017-03-19 17-48-05-48.jpg
Rayman2 2017-03-19 17-49-38-81.jpg
Rayman2 2017-03-19 17-51-42-41.jpg
Rayman2 2017-03-19 17-59-29-22.jpg
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Hmm, with all these translations coming out, does anyone think we could have a index thread for a Rayman 2 translation project?
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

If other members are interested in playing R2 in non-official languages, maybe we could give a shot. At least Plum bothered to translate into Irish.

Does anyone knows by heart the exact maximum capacity of black text boxes? This would be useful to know how to manage the word distribution per line and to find for alternative synonyms for words that do not fit entirely in the box.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

An index thread for translation sounds like a good idea. I recently did a full Swedish translation, so we've got two complete ones at least.
As for going of the screen, it depends a lot on the size of the different letters, so there's no exact amount of letters. You'll simply have to test it each time and see how it looks. Sometimes you can also create an extra line of text if needed. As for testing, it usually comes in handy to use the gothere cheat. Using it on a new save file before you finish the first level will result in you being able to skip the intro, which is quite convenient if you only want to check out the prison escape scene for example.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

Yes, that is correct. For now I am testing the intro and Woods of Light texting. I am fixing typos, presentation bugs and adaptations.