Rayman 3 speedrunning

Speedrunning news, techniques and events: a place for those who live fast, at least when it comes to Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Speedrunning team

Mark0v1c
Électoon
Tings: 20

Re: Rayman 3 speedrunning

Post by Mark0v1c »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:37 pm
Mark0v1c wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:55 pm Hi there! First time posting. It all comes down to personal preference which category a runner will play. Any% and No Major Glitches are both fun in their own way but attract a different kind of runner. Also during the biweekly races the community members can see whether or not they like to run certain categories.
Hi Mark0v1c and welcome to this place! :D Congrats on your steady progress lately, I watched your last Any% run and I thought it went really well at the time. :up:

As for Any% versus No Major Glitches, it does indeed come down to preference! As someone who only watches runs, I find the latter more interesting, because like I said here, "most of the time [Any% is] just about getting OOB and heading to the level exit". Not that I mean to disparage Any%: it's extremely technical and some of the glitches are really hard to get, but I prefer to watch someone rush through the regular course of a level rather than attempt the same superjump dozens of times before eventually succeeding and flying through glitch world. :mrgreen:

Since you're running both, what's your take on this? Do you have any preference from a runner's point of view? :o
Personally I prefer running Any% over No Major Glitches. Executing the glitches is very satisfying, especially when done first try. NMG does have a few satisfying skips, the damage boosts are very fun to do.
Secondly, NMG takes a bit too long for me, from around 1 hour 10 minutes in Any% to around 2 hours in NMG. Most of the time I only have around 2 hours to do a run so unless I don't reset when playing NMG I'm sort of forced to do Any%.
Thirdly, I kind of dislike restrictions in speedruns. Knowing I can skip an entire level using a glitch I am not allowed to perform ever so slightly discourages me from playing that category.
And lastly, I'm just not good when it comes to No Major Glitches. :D Movement based things are still something I can improve on. (Very noticable when I do the Longest Shortcut the normal way)
All of these are my opinion and I think many runners will disagree. No Major Glitches is a very fun category but personally I prefer Any% more.

Good that you mentioned the difficulty of some glitches. Learning to do these glitches consistently is going to take a very long time. I can totally understand if there are runners who don't want to learn these and just go with No Major Glitches. (Not that NMG is any easier)
SpeedBot
Gandalf
Tings: 4050

Post by SpeedBot »

New runs have just been validated on speedrun.com!

GCN - Any% No Major Glitches in 01h 56m 40s by ShadowKnight28 - 1st place

Submitted: 24/04/2021
Platform: Wii
Region: USA / NTSC
ShadowKnight28 wrote:Terrible

GCN - Any% No Major Glitches in 01h 56m 21s by Torcnein - 1st place

Torcnein wrote:tragic bom, lost a minute. Other than that decent run !
hoodlumsworld
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8675

Post by hoodlumsworld »

And two more NMG runs! I think it makes a lot of sense given what Mark0v1c is saying: not everybody has the time or the will to learn all those really complicated glitches and NMG offers an alternative that's easier to get started with, even though it certainly takes a lot of skill to become really good at it too.
SpeedBot
Gandalf

Post by SpeedBot »

GCN Emu - Any% No Major Glitches in 02h 18m 17s by Carolina_Arcadulli - 5th place

Platform: GameCube
Carolina_Arcadulli wrote:Not the best, but not the worst :D
Got the PB on the Community Race ^^
Link to video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/998424456

GCN Emu - Any% in 01h 18m 47s by Misieuroo - 12th place

Submitted: 28/04/2021
Misieuroo wrote:Highlights:
— Really bad roll SJ on FC2
— Got the bridge cutscene skip on CF1 ($wÁg)
— Got fast Reflux on DotK5
— Summit was pretty good overall
— Lost a bunch of time on Leptys2 after failing IPG and having to menu breakout

The rest was either decent, average, or moderately bad.

I honestly didn't expect this run to be a PB (especially after failing IPG) ; but I actually didn't lose too much time on most splits, and I saved time on very crucial parts, which was barely enough for me to snatch that PB.

Oh, and as always, I split a little early at the start of the run, so the time is actually 1:18:47.

Streamed live at https://www.twitch.tv/misieuroo on April 27-28, 2021.
Link to video: https://www.twitch.tv/misieuroo
hoodlumsworld
Garatta Ciatik

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Nice progress, Carolina and Misieuroo. I wonder though, does the cutscene skip in Clearleaf Forest really save that much time?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 585717

Post by Hunchman801 »

Mark0v1c wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:55 pm Personally I prefer running Any% over No Major Glitches. Executing the glitches is very satisfying, especially when done first try. NMG does have a few satisfying skips, the damage boosts are very fun to do.
Secondly, NMG takes a bit too long for me, from around 1 hour 10 minutes in Any% to around 2 hours in NMG. Most of the time I only have around 2 hours to do a run so unless I don't reset when playing NMG I'm sort of forced to do Any%.
Thirdly, I kind of dislike restrictions in speedruns. Knowing I can skip an entire level using a glitch I am not allowed to perform ever so slightly discourages me from playing that category.
And lastly, I'm just not good when it comes to No Major Glitches. :D Movement based things are still something I can improve on. (Very noticable when I do the Longest Shortcut the normal way)
All of these are my opinion and I think many runners will disagree. No Major Glitches is a very fun category but personally I prefer Any% more.

Good that you mentioned the difficulty of some glitches. Learning to do these glitches consistently is going to take a very long time. I can totally understand if there are runners who don't want to learn these and just go with No Major Glitches. (Not that NMG is any easier)
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Speedrunning a game and watching someone do it are indeed very different activities, and it's no surprise that different factors come into account when it comes to choosing a category to run and a category to watch.

Also, I'm curious: which glitch do you find the hardest of all? :o
hoodlumsworld wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:39 pm Nice progress, Carolina and Misieuroo. I wonder though, does the cutscene skip in Clearleaf Forest really save that much time?
I actually just watched a couple runs from Misieuroo, and he would have gotten another PB were it not for a really bad final boss, which landed him on 1h20. It's probably just a matter of time, though!
SpeedBot
Gandalf

Post by SpeedBot »

A new run has just been validated on speedrun.com!

PC - Any% No Major Glitches in 02h 18m 13s 60ms by Phaeally - 7th place

Submitted: 25/04/2021
Platform: PC
Region: EUR / PAL
Phaeally wrote:Can be improved, but quite proud of this run in x1.0 game speed
Additional details:
  • Game Speed: 1.0×
hoodlumsworld
Garatta Ciatik

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:08 pm Thanks for the detailed explanation! Speedrunning a game and watching someone do it are indeed very different activities, and it's no surprise that different factors come into account when it comes to choosing a category to run and a category to watch.
Gotta admit I find it exciting to see how fast runners will the tough glitches in 100%.

And congratulations on your progress, Phaeally!
SpeedBot
Gandalf

Post by SpeedBot »

GCN Emu - Any% in 01h 17m 24s by Misieuroo - 12th place

Submitted: 28/04/2021
— Tragic DotK3
— Could've saved 30 seconds for free in LS, but sadly I had to reset LS3
— Great (albeit nerve-racking) Leptys

1:15 is still well within my reach imo.

(inb4 bad camera framing)

Streamed live at https://www.twitch.tv/misieuroo on April 28, 2021.
Mark0v1c
Électoon

Post by Mark0v1c »

Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:08 pm Also, I'm curious: which glitch do you find the hardest of all? :o
Wouldn't say any of the glitches currently used in Any% are that difficult. If I had to chose one I would go with the Desert of the Knaaren 6 CBSJ off of the bowl. It's pretty difficult to get but at least you can retry if you fail. The level is also very short both in Any% and No Major Glitches so it's not a big deal if you keep failing that one.
Leptys 1 ECBSJ also can cause some trouble during runs.
SpeedBot
Gandalf

Post by SpeedBot »

GCN Emu - Any% No Major Glitches in 01h 56m 51s by ShadowKnight28 - 1st place

Submitted: 04/05/2021
ShadowKnight28 wrote:Dogshit

GCN Emu - Any% in 01h 16m 43s by Misieuroo - 12th place

Submitted: 04/05/2021
— Very bad FC2
— Very bad BoM2
— Great DotK
— Very bad Leptys4 2nd phase

Could've realistically been a low 1:15, or even a 1:14. That should happen pretty soon, hopefully.

[Retimed to 1:16:43 in Premiere Pro]

Streamed live at https://www.twitch.tv/misieuroo on May 4, 2021.

GCN Emu - Any% No Major Glitches in 02h 49m 13s by Azloh - 12th place

Submitted: 07/05/2021
Azloh wrote:Was done to near to no strats but wanted to get a run on board will look at strats for next time I run!
Link to video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1013791092
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 585717

Post by Hunchman801 »

Mark0v1c wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:03 pm Wouldn't say any of the glitches currently used in Any% are that difficult. If I had to chose one I would go with the Desert of the Knaaren 6 CBSJ off of the bowl. It's pretty difficult to get but at least you can retry if you fail. The level is also very short both in Any% and No Major Glitches so it's not a big deal if you keep failing that one.
Leptys 1 ECBSJ also can cause some trouble during runs.
Yeah, it sometimes takes runners a while to get those, but at worst they lose like a minute or so. I remember seeing other glitches that may not be as hard but can cost a lot more if you fail them, resulting in the player getting stuck and having to restart the level.
SpeedBot
Gandalf

Post by SpeedBot »

IL - The Land of the Livid Dead 3: Any% in 19s 15ms by Sirop - 1st place

Submitted: 27/04/2021

IW - The Fairy Council: No Major Glitches in 11m 49s 34ms by Clerens - 1st place

Submitted: 02/05/2021
Platform: PC
Clerens wrote:Maybe i can run this better
Link to video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1008459613

IW - The Bog of Murk: Any% in 05m 01s 67ms by Torcnein - 1st place

Submitted: 16/04/2021
Torcnein wrote:Improvable but everything going right including Razoff is already a miracle
Additional details:
  • PCM: Yes
hoodlumsworld
Garatta Ciatik

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:34 pm Yeah, it sometimes takes runners a while to get those, but at worst they lose like a minute or so. I remember seeing other glitches that may not be as hard but can cost a lot more if you fail them, resulting in the player getting stuck and having to restart the level.
Do you remember which ones force you to restart the level? That must be painful.
SpeedBot
Gandalf

Post by SpeedBot »

IL - Clearleaf Forest 1: Any% in 02m 59s 18ms by Sirop - 1st place

Submitted: 27/04/2021

Steo
Globox
Tings: 95115

Post by Steo »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:34 pm Yeah, it sometimes takes runners a while to get those, but at worst they lose like a minute or so. I remember seeing other glitches that may not be as hard but can cost a lot more if you fail them, resulting in the player getting stuck and having to restart the level.
I wonder if it's anywhere near as bad as scoring for needing to restart sections.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
SpeedBot
Gandalf

Post by SpeedBot »

GCN - Any% in 01h 53m 25s by Exilfaker - 21st place

Submitted: 15/05/2021
Exilfaker wrote:oopsie for the timer. Big joke for the one guy left at the boss final
Steo
Globox
Tings: 95115

Post by Steo »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:40 pm Do you remember which ones force you to restart the level? That must be painful.
I'm interested to hear about this too, sounds like a pain...
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
SpeedBot
Gandalf

Post by SpeedBot »

GCN - Any% No Major Glitches in 02h 13m 26s by No-Last-Name - 4th place

Submitted: 18/05/2021
No-Last-Name wrote:Mod note: moved run to NMG category
Mark0v1c
Électoon

Post by Mark0v1c »

There are several sections where you have to restart the level in order to proceed during an Any% run. These are mainly IPG in Leptys 2 and sections where you can fall out of bounds.
Technically you're not forced to restart if you fail IPG but you would save time if you did.
There are some tricky sections where you can fall out of bounds pretty easily, probably the most notable ones being Clearleaf Forest 1 after getting the first cage and Clearleaf Forest 3 in the first section with the sniper hoodlum. Knaaren 4 and 7 as well as Shortcut 1 and 2 could also be problematic sometimes.