Rayman 3 (Dolphin Emulator) HD Texture Pack

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
ICUP321
Bébé Globox
Tings: 625

Rayman 3 (Dolphin Emulator) HD Texture Pack

Post by ICUP321 »

This is an HD Texture Pack that uses Dolphin Emulator's custom texture loading feature.
This Texture Pack up-scales nearly all of the default textures from Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc for the Nintendo GameCube with the official HD textures from the Sony PlayStation 3 version of Rayman 3 HD. (I've also used some of the PC version's textures as well.)

Contents:
*Over 1350+ HD Textures that come straight from Rayman 3 HD.
*Full NTSC-U and PAL Support. This Texture Pack works on both the American and European versions of Rayman 3.
*Alternate HD Textures. (Textures that are either used differently or never used in the game at all.)
*Custom controller configuration profiles that are recommended to be used with the following:
*Selectable Controller HUDs. You can choose to use different HUDs for 3 different types of controllers.
These Include:
-HD GameCube Controller HUD
-Xbox 360 Controller HUD
-PS3 Controller HUD

Screenshots:

The Fairy Council:
Clearleaf Forest:
The Bog of Murk:
The Land of the Livid Dead:
Desert of the Knaaren:

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/135bqcpoytsj ... n4Cea?dl=0

Installation:
1. After you've downloaded all the .zip files, copy all of them, but don't extract them.
2. If you have never used Dolphin Emulator, open it first and configure it. (It will create files when you use it for the first time.)
3. Then, on Dolphin Emulator, click the "Tools" tab and select "Resource Pack Manager".
4. Once there, click on "Open Directory...". It will open up a directory on File Explorer.
5. Paste all of the .zip files in that directory and then click on "Refresh".
6. The packs should now show up, install the main texture pack and whichever controller HUD you want to use.
7. Then, on Dolphin Emulator, click on the "Graphics" icon. This will open up the Graphics configuration window.
8. Click on the Advanced tab. Under the Utility section, check-mark the "Load Custom Textures" and "Prefetch Custom Textures" boxes.
9. It is also recommended to play with custom controller profiles made so the HUD textures match with what buttons are supposed to be pressed. Please refer to the "Read Me" file in the "Recommended Controls" folder.
10. Now you are ready to play Rayman 3 with HD Textures!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Is there a PC version of this texture pack?
Yes! I have now made a PC mod that remakes this texture pack to enhance the PC version's textures with the PS3 version's textures, you may download it from this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... NhGc9y/pub

Can't you just inject these HD textures into Rayman 3's files, instead of having to load them through an emulator?
No. Why?
The GameCube's hardware isn't powerful enough to process HD textures and will just end up instantly crashing the console or emulator.

Are you going to post this on the Dolphin forums?
I've already tried posting this there, but it wasn't accepted. They will not allow these kinds of Texture Packs there because it contains copyrighted assets from another version of a game. Emulation sites are very sensitive when it comes to distributing copyrighted content, and although this isn't technically piracy, it does contain assets from a version of a game that was not meant to be used on another version.
If you want to see this for yourself here are a few examples of them rejecting these kinds of Texture Packs:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-r ... exture-mod
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-r ... xture-pack

What Programs did you use to make this?
Dolphin Emulator
XnConvert
Paint.NET
Adobe Photoshop
Last edited by ICUP321 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:58 am, edited 20 times in total.
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Re: Rayman 3 (Dolphin Emulator) HD Textures Mod Release (Beta)

Post by RibShark »

Nice, it works really well! Although, the textures seemed to be put directly in the "Load" folder, instead of the "Load/Textures/GRHE41" folder (which they need to be in for the textures to actually load). With that being said, this actually already works with the PAL version, just by renaming the folder "Load/Textures/GRHE41" to "Load/Textures/GRHP41". There might be a few textures that aren't replaced but they all seemed to be. There is also a slight problem with the menu: Image

As you can see, all the button icons are visible, when only the A button should be. This is because the texture for the menu GUI has wooden circles and rectangles that will usually be placed by the game to cover up these icons, but in your texture, these parts have been omitted.

As for the Xbox 360 textures, I have not yet been able to extract the textures from this version, however I will give it another try.

Also, for PC, Szymekk made a tool that is able to repack textures. HD textures do work, but putting too many in will cause the game to run out of memory, making a full HD mod for the PC version impossible for the time being.
ICUP321
Bébé Globox

Re: Rayman 3 (Dolphin Emulator) HD Textures Mod Release (Beta)

Post by ICUP321 »

Thanks for the feedback!
I removed the wooden bars temporarily on purpose because I had trouble adjusting it for all 3 HUDs and removed it temporarily, but I forgot about them eventually. I will fix it now, though. EDIT: I fixed it! But only for HD GCN HUD, I couldn't fix PS3/360 HUDs...
Also, I knew that someone made tools for Rayman 2 a while back, but I never heard about him making tools for Rayman 3. May I ask where you found that?
razius
Électoon
Tings: 5

Re: (WIP) Rayman 3 (Dolphin Emulator) HD Texture Pack

Post by razius »

Not trying to hijack this thread. Actually im freaking excited about this pack coz finally my fav PC platformer looks better than ever (Rayman 3 is the only 3D platformer on PC that i like, because it resembles the 3D Super Mario platformers i love: 64, sunshine, galaxy). I also wish they made another 3D platformer instead of Origins and Legends.
First of all, HUGE THANKS! You did an amazing job, investing SO MUCH time into this. Since u made my dream of playing rayman 3 with the best textures there are (and with a controller ontop of it, coz i hate how my controllers work on the PC version) come true, i decided to finish something i started over 4 years ago.

Having worked on retexturing Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, where i created the HUD and textures from SCRATCH (while staying as close as possible to the originals so that when u downscale my textures they would be close to indistinguishable from the originals) i really don't think something occult has "happened" in MaLDo's thread at Dolphin. MaLDo just used Ubisoft's copyrighted textures in his pack and the guys at Dolphin don't wanna get mixed up in something like that.

That being said. I've been VERY busy irl for the past years so i was never able to finish some retexturing projects i started back in 2012, mainly the HUD for these games: Metroid Prime 1&2, Starfox Adventures and Rayman 3.

Back in 2012 i retextured all of Rayman's suits (extracted them with 3D Ripper DX) from the PC version but since there was no way to inject it in the PC version that's all i retextured (since i was not gonna waste time extracting every PC texture and replace if in the gamecube version and the default gamecube textures were horrible compared to the pc ones). Last week i found out about MaLdo's pack and your youtube video (and project, waited for ur link for 2 days) so i decided to get back to the 2012 project and retexture the HUD since i'm rather dissatisfied with the HUD in these 2 releases (it's barely 4 times the original dolphin size but goddamn blury and amateurish) and i realize this is all Ubisoft's doing but given how awesome Origins and Legends look, it's a shame Ubi didn't have one of their junior artists upscale the Rayman 3 textures for the PS3/X360 HD release.

I will only work on the HUD (that includes arrows and words that appear on the screen a lot: Great, Excellent, Serial Shooter, GRAA, NUHU, JNII, etc) and prob rayman's suits (but only if i can find the textures i did back in 2012). Everything is done in illustrator and PS from scratch, not using any of the original textures, and will post it at Dolphin (just because they don't host MODS it doesn't mean that the guys out there shouldn't be able to use this HUD even if there are no in game textures, hopefully they'll run into your pack as well).

If you think these HUD textures are something that could benefit your project, I'd appreciate it if you can incorporate this HUD in your pack once it's done coz it would suck to post it here separately (but if that will be the only way, i won't mind it).

As a note, i really like the buttons MaLDo used so i reworked them as well (from scratch) since his were pixelated and had all sorts of compression artifacts. Im using an Xbox One S controller so i pretty much went with the thumbsticks and start button from it (there's also a version of the thumbsticks with Grip-It on them).

This is a screenshot of what to expect once it's done, still working on it. Just like every other project of mine, the textures will be 8 time the size of the Gamecube ones so the game should look crystal clear on Dolphin at 8x internal resolution.

Last edited by razius on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I actually haven't been able to put the texture pack to work. And I did rename the folder to the one RibShark said.

EDIT: I understand now why. Ribshark, the PAL game's code is GRHP41 and not GRHE41.

Many thanks for this sharing, it gives a totally new and refreshed look to the game! :D

I will be looking forward for future updates.
ICUP321
Bébé Globox

Post by ICUP321 »

I've updated this pack by adding some textures I missed and fixed some text having lower-res fonts. I also forgot to put a bunch of sub-folders on the main pack which might have confused a bunch of people while installing it, but it's fixed now so it doesn't matter :)
ICUP321
Bébé Globox

Post by ICUP321 »

OK, so I've made a MAJOR update to this pack.
Here are some of the changes I made:
BIG changes to GCN HUD. (not complete, need to play around with Nvidia Texture Tools)
Fixed animated gears in Hoodlum Headquarters, now they spin just like they do originally. (This took me the longest)
Corrected the boiling water in Begoniax's bowl of frog juice or whatever. (took a while too)
Corrected a few textures that were up-scaled incorrectly.
Finally added some alternate HD textures you can play around with!

I am getting closer to tagging this as not being WIP anymore, so just hang tight! :D
ICUP321
Bébé Globox

Re: Rayman 3 (Dolphin Emulator) HD Texture Pack (COMPLETED)

Post by ICUP321 »

Hey guys, this is probably the last update I will make for this Texture Pack for a WHILE.
I can safely say that this mod is completed and it meets my expectations.
Here's what I've added in this update:
*Full PAL Version Support. There are barely any differences between the NTSC-U and PAL Versions, like, around 4 textures were different.
*New Download Links with separate links to NTSC-U and PAL Versions.
*Up-Scaled some more Textures such as Mad Trax Textures.
*Reverted the rest of the Custom Textures back to their Originals, so no more fan-made Textures.
*Added more Unused Textures to Alternate HD Textures.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

Thank you for this :D! I will definitely use it on Dolphin!
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8652

Post by deton24 »

Has anybody compared this tex mod with Maldo's?
Which one looks better during gameplay?

edit.

If anybody wants to play the game on keyboard, just copy this:
https://yadi.sk/i/lKz8o4NAMUy-TA
to Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Config\GCPad
Then go to Controllers and choose Standard Controller in Port 1.
Go to Configure and choose profile from the list, and press load. Then press OK.
All controls works - only use backspace and backslash (right below backspace) for ESC.
Last edited by deton24 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ICUP321
Bébé Globox

Post by ICUP321 »

Okay, here's another update that has long been overdue to be uploaded.
*Updated HUDs.
*Changed Button UIs PS3 & Xbox 360 controllers.
*Added a Recommended Controls text file called "Controls for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers".
*Up-scaled a few more textures. Mostly 2D Nightmare textures.
*Corrected a bunch of textures, especially glowing light textures.
*Added more Alternate HD Textures.
*By request I have added some PC Textures located in the Alternate HD Textures folder for anybody to use. This changes the orginal title screen logo to the Rayman 3 HD logo.

I am going to make a final update to this Texture Pack that will be uploaded hopefully 1-2 months from now.
ICUP321
Bébé Globox

Post by ICUP321 »

deton24 wrote:Has anybody compared this tex mod with Maldo's?
Which one looks better during gameplay?
To answer your question, I can definitely say that my Texture Pack is superior than MaLDo's.
- One of the reasons is because my Texture Pack up-scales around 1383 textures out of the 1400+ textures in Rayman 3 by replacing them with their HD version counterparts. MaLDo's version upscales around 900 out of 1400+ textures. That's around over 400 textures of difference.
- Another reason why I would say mine is better is because I created this from scratch by using only the official textures made by Ubisoft from Rayman 3 HD for the PS3. MaLDo's version was a mix between the PC version textures (which are inferior), Xbox 360 version textures (which are the same as PS3), and self-made textures. It's also really messy when you take a look at the files in his Texture Pack.
- One more reason is that MaLDo's version forces you to use an Xbox 360 HUD that looks pretty washed out unless you delete those textures. My Texture Pack lets you choose between an HD GameCube, PS3, and Xbox 360 HUD for your convenience.
ICUP321
Bébé Globox

Re: Rayman 3 (Dolphin Emulator) HD Texture Pack

Post by ICUP321 »

Hey guys! This is the last update I will make for this Texture Pack. (Unless Modding the PC version becomes possible in the future.) This update is HUGE, and I advise EVERYONE to upgrade to this version!

Here's what's changed:

*Re-did around 60% (900+) of the textures to match EXACTLY what they look like in Rayman 3 HD. (I removed any evidence of MaLDo's textures in my Texture Pack.)
*Sorted through some more Bonus Arcade Games textures. (Got rid of a few and added more textures.)
*Corrected a bunch of textures to match the look of the GameCube version's.
*Edit: Ran into some unexpected issues. These are now fixed.
Last edited by ICUP321 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

Hey, thanks for your effort in this! I am going to download it now. :D Thank you!
Khronikos
Électoon
Tings: 20

Post by Khronikos »

Thanks a lot for the wonderful pack. I am glad you have improved it and made it final. Do you suggest also using the PNG textures you have in the unupscaled section? Again, the game is fantastic played through Dolphin where you can redo the controls to make them more modern. The pack makes the game very playable even today with those control mods.
ICUP321
Bébé Globox

Post by ICUP321 »

Khronikos wrote:Thanks a lot for the wonderful pack. I am glad you have improved it and made it final. Do you suggest also using the PNG textures you have in the unupscaled section? Again, the game is fantastic played through Dolphin where you can redo the controls to make them more modern. The pack makes the game very playable even today with those control mods.
Oh, the un-upscaled PNG textures? Yeah, that's just a list of the textures that weren't upscaled, so no, they're useless. I'll probably remove them from the pack.
Also, thanks!
Khronikos
Électoon

Post by Khronikos »

Okay great. I am really liking all the improvements that were made to this. Cheers.

It's a bit sad when even a PC rerelease isn't all that great. It's nice to know the definitive version exists with just a little help. And I don't really see them ever doing much again with this game, so these packs are very very much useful.

Can you post this on the Dolphin forums? I think it would do well to put it there since you have nothing from Maldo anymore. But have no idea if this can go there since maybe textures were upscaled or something? Whatever, people that want it will find it.
ICUP321
Bébé Globox

Post by ICUP321 »

Khronikos wrote:Can you post this on the Dolphin forums? I think it would do well to put it there since you have nothing from Maldo anymore. But have no idea if this can go there since maybe textures were upscaled or something? Whatever, people that want it will find it.
I would love to post this on Dolphin Forums, but the problem with that is this will not be accepted there. The reason why they won't want this to be on their forums is because they don't accept textures that come from another game's assets (even though Rayman 3 and Rayman 3 HD are the same game), which is what this Texture Pack is. This is pretty much a mod in disguise that tries to attempt to port the high-resolution textures from Rayman 3 HD for the PS3 on to the GameCube version through emulation. (For example, this is similar to those Sonic Adventure DX PC mods that have tried to restore assets from the DreamCast version's stages, lighting, graphics, etc.)

Another reason why I won't do this is because someone could easily take this down by flagging it as piracy, even though it is not, because it is required to have a copy of Rayman 3 in order to run this on Dolphin. I also noticed you referenced this on Dolphin Forums, which now worries me that someone could take this down. If they can take down MaLDo's version of an HD Texture Pack, then they can do the same to me. I would get frustrated having to re-upload this constantly if someone kept false-flagging this.
Khronikos
Électoon

Post by Khronikos »

I don't think you will have any trouble man. No one seems to care about Dolphin stuff at all. I've never heard of any problems whatsoever with any of their packs.

Also, are you talking about Dolphin people taking down Maldo's pack? That would be because it was on their site.

It seems pretty random as to what censors take down these days. I know even some of the packs on the site change downloaders now and then. Again, I don't suspect you will have any troubles.

I just wanted to update people on the site that your superior pack was out. I don't play to say anymore about it.