Did Rabbids Really Ruin Rayman?

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Frostbite
Lums Rouge
Tings: 70

Did Rabbids Really Ruin Rayman?

Post by Frostbite »

I'm sure a lot of you have all thought about how Rayman drifted off from its roots for a while during the whole Rabbids craze, and although I'm new to this site and starting discussions, I wanted to see what the opinions are on when Rayman as a franchise really changed.

I'll go on YouTube and read a comments section with anything Rayman related (either be it an early game or a recent game) and I'll always see something like "when Rayman was 3D :(" or "rabbids f*cking ruined Rayman!!!!" and personally, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'm satisfied with it.

Would you have preferred a Rayman 4 over what RRR ended up being? Or are you happy with the direction it ended up going in? Maybe neither, I'm interested in your thoughts.

(Also if this isn't acceptable or something, please feel free to delete this thread.)
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Re: Did Rabbids Really Ruin Rayman?

Post by Master »

To be honest, I think if the UbiArt series hadn't released, I'd imagine the Rabbids would forevermore be begrudged by Rayman fans as the characters who killed Rayman. There are those who still hold a grudge, and I believe I've seen some blame them for the wacky direction that the UbiArt titles took. However, I think most have simply moved on, even if the UbiArt titles aren't exactly to their liking.

Personally, I would have loved to see Rayman 4: Raving Rabbids over Rayman Raving Rabbids the party game. But that was then, presently, I feel that "Rayman 4" shouldn't go back to what the Raving Rabbids platformer was trying, a lot has happened in the decade since it was cancelled, and I'd rather they started fresh and tried to create something new. That being said, platformers don't dominate in the same way they did back then, so there not being a new 3D title at present is understandable.

As for the Rabbids themselves, if memory serves, I wasn't initially upset with the first RRR. It was an okay game, not what I wanted, but okay. I think RRR2 is when I started to sour towards the Rabbids, and my retrospective opinion towards the first also suffered. By the time the Rabbids finally split up permanently, with Rabbids Go Home, I was wondering if Rayman would ever return as a platformer or not. I started to mellow towards the Rabbids eventually, and when Origins was announced, I think I had lost any animosity I still had. However, I will admit that I would rather the series not converge again, barring simple crossovers. I'd rather both series move on in their own independent directions.
sergiomonty
Antitoon
Tings: 10

Post by sergiomonty »

Rayman is better now. Nostalfags ruin Rayman.
Tomazo
Moussu
Tings: 1230

Post by Tomazo »

I quite feel like the Rabbids seem to be strange in the Rayman universe. I have always seen this universe as a mysterious, fantasy world, where these crazy creatures, the Rabbids don't really fit in. I didn't like that the quality got lower and lower with the RRR games, since the original Rayman games had more serious concepts.

But fortunately, I am absolutely satisfied by how Rayman is now. Luckily the Rabbids were just a spin-off for Rayman, and I also don't mind if they continue their career in a separate series, because they aren't that bad. They just don't fit the Rayman franchise in my opinion. And how Rayman's games turned out in the recent years, I am absolutely concerned that the developers know what is good for our hero.

Although 3D platformers aren't really popular these days, I would love to see a 3D Rayman 4 game, because Ubisoft brought out the best from the 2D platformer genre, and I think they are able to do the same with 3D.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

sergiomonty wrote:Rayman is better now. Nostalfags ruin Rayman.
says the omnifag... you know i'll come to you're house shoot you you'r mom and you won't i'm not afraid...
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Very mature.
Master wrote:To be honest, I think if the UbiArt series hadn't released, I'd imagine the Rabbids would forevermore be begrudged by Rayman fans as the characters who killed Rayman. There are those who still hold a grudge, and I believe I've seen some blame them for the wacky direction that the UbiArt titles took. However, I think most have simply moved on, even if the UbiArt titles aren't exactly to their liking.

Personally, I would have loved to see Rayman 4: Raving Rabbids over Rayman Raving Rabbids the party game. But that was then, presently, I feel that "Rayman 4" shouldn't go back to what the Raving Rabbids platformer was trying, a lot has happened in the decade since it was cancelled, and I'd rather they started fresh and tried to create something new. That being said, platformers don't dominate in the same way they did back then, so there not being a new 3D title at present is understandable.

As for the Rabbids themselves, if memory serves, I wasn't initially upset with the first RRR. It was an okay game, not what I wanted, but okay. I think RRR2 is when I started to sour towards the Rabbids, and my retrospective opinion towards the first also suffered. By the time the Rabbids finally split up permanently, with Rabbids Go Home, I was wondering if Rayman would ever return as a platformer or not. I started to mellow towards the Rabbids eventually, and when Origins was announced, I think I had lost any animosity I still had. However, I will admit that I would rather the series not converge again, barring simple crossovers. I'd rather both series move on in their own independent directions.
Pretty much this. My following opinion is kind of popular but I honestly think that RRR2 had the best collection of mini-games, at least I had much more fun with these than with the first game. Now TV Party is one of those titles that should have never been made.
Frostbite
Lums Rouge

Post by Frostbite »

Master wrote:To be honest, I think if the UbiArt series hadn't released, I'd imagine the Rabbids would forevermore be begrudged by Rayman fans as the characters who killed Rayman. There are those who still hold a grudge, and I believe I've seen some blame them for the wacky direction that the UbiArt titles took. However, I think most have simply moved on, even if the UbiArt titles aren't exactly to their liking.

I completely agree, however I believe Ancel did say at some point that Rayman will see another 3D title, if Ubisoft ultimately decide that it's worth it though is another thing. Also I think Rabbids as a series has died out too now (RIP).
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

onlhy an autistic negro bitchfag would say taht . . . (its you! you! you are that! you do it to yourself and it really hurts!)

sergio why are you such a black come on why cant you just be normal like us
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
sergiomonty
Antitoon
Tings: 10

Post by sergiomonty »

I'm soooo embracing the hate. :winkgrin:
Adsolution wrote:says the omnifag...
At least I'm not using a shitty game such as Rayman 1 as a blueprint for my rancid excuse of a fangame that I cannot even gather the balls to complete. :rigolo:
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

hey that's too bad about your fangame dont need to be so selfdepracating i can help motivate you want i happen to be working on one too :)
Frostbite
Lums Rouge

Post by Frostbite »

Yikes, this thread got out of control faster than I expected.
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

I can't believe I'm the only one here who thinks the newer games are way fucking better than the old games.
Dart
Clark
Tings: 49845

Post by Dart »

Honestly The Rabbids were never going to "ruin" Rayman, sure for awhile it might have seemed that way at one point, but It's more than likely that Ubisoft wanted to milk the rabbids as much as they could since silly kids like me back then loved the insufferable bastards. In regards to the quality of those games, I still enjoy cracking out the first 3 games (and their various handheld spinoffs) every once in awhile, since they are great party games. If anything, Rayman's presence in the Rabbids spin-offs at the very least meant that Ubisoft hadn't completely forgotten their fucking mascot, which is totally something that company would manage. :roll:
Bradandez wrote:
I can't believe I'm the only one here who thinks the newer games are way fucking better than the old games.
Right now for me its R3 > RO > RL > RRR trilogy > R1 > R2 for the mainline titles + Rabbids trilogy, which means overall I do in fact agree with you.
superrayman3
Lums Bleu
Tings: 110

Post by superrayman3 »

Adsolution wrote:you know i'll come to you're house shoot you you'r mom and you won't i'm not afraid...
Threatening another user in this manner is completely uncalled for, your post has been reported.

On-topic: I was disappointed when I learned that RR was going to be a party game instead of a proper Rayman game but now I see it it as just it's own series rather than a part of the main Rayman timeline and I don't think RR ruined Rayman rather it was just an unexpected entry in the franchise.
Last edited by superrayman3 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dart
Clark

Post by Dart »

superrayman3 wrote:
Adsolution wrote:you know i'll come to you're house shoot you you'r mom and you won't i'm not afraid...
Threatening another user in this manner is completely uncalled for your, post has been reported.

On-topic: I was disappointed when I learned that RR was going to be a party game instead of a proper Rayman game but now I see it it as just it's own series rather than a part of the main Rayman timeline.
Just so you know we tend to shit post threats here all the time, most people mean nothing by it in the case of Ad here.
superrayman3
Lums Bleu
Tings: 110

Post by superrayman3 »

Dart wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:
Threatening another user in this manner is completely uncalled for your, post has been reported.

On-topic: I was disappointed when I learned that RR was going to be a party game instead of a proper Rayman game but now I see it it as just it's own series rather than a part of the main Rayman timeline.
Just so you know we tend to shit post threats here all the time, most people mean nothing by it in the case of Ad here.
BS threat or not, threatening other users violates the site rules that everyone agreed to when they signed up, maybe it was an instant reflex on my end because alot of the forums I visit have a zero tolerance policy towards things like this and I've never hesitated to report such behavior on said forums whenever I saw it but I'll keep that in mind from now on.
Dart
Clark

Post by Dart »

fair enough, I just thought I'd provide some context to it since literally every thread has somebody saying something stupid :v
Bzzit
El Stomacho
Tings: 24529

Post by Bzzit »

superrayman3 wrote:
Dart wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:

BS threat or not, threatening other users violates the site rules that everyone agreed to when they signed up, maybe it was an instant reflex on my end because alot of the forums I visit have a zero tolerance policy towards things like this and I've never hesitated to report such behavior on said forums whenever I saw it but I'll keep that in mind from now on.
You should examine comments more thoroughly before jumping to conclusions and taking action. That reply was blatantly written in jest.
Rayman is the best man
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

LOL
superrayman3 wrote:Threatening another user in this manner is completely uncalled for, your post has been reported.
*for; your(...) || *for. Your(...)
> new user comes to forum assuming as moral arbiter they know better than user with 20,000 posts who's been here for literally 7.5 million years
> discovering the new world/killing indiens all over again
Dart wrote:Right now for me its R3 > RO > RL > RRR trilogy > R1 > R2 for the mainline titles + Rabbids trilogy, which means overall I do in fact agree with you.
You think TV party is better than both Rayman 1 and Rayman 2? :pardon3:
Pirez
Globox
Tings: 98075

Post by Pirez »

Adsolution wrote:> discovering the new world/killing indiens all over again

The way I see it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the first RRR. It's not a perfect game (at all) but the fact that it's a party game is entrenched in the tradition that every game feels very different go the one that comes before and therefore resonates strongly in the series (that is also my justification as to why Legends is the most disappointing game of the whole series). The sequels to RRR were the breaking point, as Master masterfully pointed out.

I also feel that the meme-ish nature of the Rabbits is what causes the most outrage among fans who I believe are tired of seeing them everywhere. Again, this was kinda new at the time plus with the explosion of those shit facebook posts, no one could have predicted that it would have happened. It's unfortunate, sure, but it doesn't change the fact that the original idea for the Rabbits were to be dumb and fun, unlike the minions which strategy of marketing revolves around those dank memes amirite?