Finally: Rayman 2 PC keyboard re-mapping

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Juan_m_2
Lums
Tings: 35

Finally: Rayman 2 PC keyboard re-mapping

Post by Juan_m_2 »

Hi guys! I'm new here at the forum. I'm a computer engineer student and a Rayman lover from the childhood. Someone maybe knows me from the work i did on tcrf.net on Rayman articles.

This week I made a util to re-map the keyboard controls from any PC game that uses DINPUT, but the truth is that it was made for Rayman 2 :D
Originally was going to be only for me, but finally I decided to share it.
This program generates a customized DINPUT.DLL file that can be copied to the game directory overriding the keyboard map to the personalized one.
It works only on 64bit PC (dll is 64bit) and it was tested on windows 7 and 10.
Here is the link if someone wants to give it a try
http://bit.ly/2pB1lBL
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Re: Finally: Rayman 2 PC keyboard re-mapping

Post by PluMGMK »

Cool! Nice to finally be able to change every Rayman game's controls on PC! Now if only it were possible to change the zoom buttons for look-mode in Rayman 3. :bad:
I'll give it a try, probably next weekend. :)
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

Nice! This is a feature I've always wanted to be able to use in the game! Thanks for making this! I'm going to try it out right away (although after playing all of these years I've kind of gotten used to the default mapping, so it might be harder switching now :P). Is there any way this can be used to change the mapping for controllers? The mapping is kind of weird on most controllers, especially when I use my PS2 controller (like having to jump with circle etc.).

Edit: I just tried it out and it worked really well :). However, I already had a dinput.dll file in the Rayman 2 directory (to be able to use controllers), and it didn't work with both at once making me have to move the other one. I don't know much about .dll files. Is there any way to make me able to have both at once, or can it only use one at a time?
Juan_m_2
Lums

Post by Juan_m_2 »

Carrot-master wrote:Nice! This is a feature I've always wanted to be able to use in the game! Thanks for making this! I'm going to try it out right away (although after playing all of these years I've kind of gotten used to the default mapping, so it might be harder switching now :P). Is there any way this can be used to change the mapping for controllers? The mapping is kind of weird on most controllers, especially when I use my PS2 controller (like having to jump with circle etc.).

Edit: I just tried it out and it worked really well :). However, I already had a dinput.dll file in the Rayman 2 directory (to be able to use controllers), and it didn't work with both at once making me have to move the other one. I don't know much about .dll files. Is there any way to make me able to have both at once, or can it only use one at a time?
Only one dinput.dll can be used at once. Rayman game comes without this file in the directory because it uses the default one from the windows folder. Placing another dinput.dll on the game folder overrides the use of the windows one. My program generates a customized hack of this original dll.

The dinput.dll you have must be another hack of this dll, but I don't know about it. Controller mapping must depend of the person who made the dll.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

The controller mapping is from the game itself. The only thing the dll does it making the game recognize the controller (which it doesn't do on Win 7 and above). I wonder if it'd somehow be possible merging the two dll files together. Otherwise I can switch between them when using keyboard/controller.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Wow, that's awesome! By any chance, would you be willing to share the source code? I'd love to incorporate this feature into RayTwol; you'd be very visibly credited of course. :mryellow:
Juan_m_2
Lums

Post by Juan_m_2 »

Adsolution wrote:Wow, that's awesome! By any chance, would you be willing to share the source code? I'd love to incorporate this feature into RayTwol; you'd be very visibly credited of course. :mryellow:
Of course! I saw RayTwol project and it's really amazing, but for some reason it doesn't recognise me the left click, so I can't move the objects. I'm using win7.

Here is the source: http://bit.ly/2pudlET
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Thank you so much!

As for the selection issue, the help/readme says that you have to select objects with the side-bar and then use the scroll wheel while holding down an axis to move it. Clunky indeed, but trying to figure out how to program proper movement gizmos at the time was a little overwhelming, something that'll hopefully be improved in the near future.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

PluMGMK wrote:Now if only it were possible to change the zoom buttons for look-mode in Rayman 3. :bad:
This would be perfect, it was such a mistake from them to not make these changeable.

While I find the R2 controls perfect as they are natively it is interesting that someone managed to make people able to choose the buttons they want. Thanks for sharing!
Juan_m_2
Lums

Post by Juan_m_2 »

Haruka wrote:
PluMGMK wrote:Now if only it were possible to change the zoom buttons for look-mode in Rayman 3. :bad:
This would be perfect, it was such a mistake from them to not make these changeable.

While I find the R2 controls perfect as they are natively it is interesting that someone managed to make people able to choose the buttons they want. Thanks for sharing!
Rayman 3 uses dinput8 instead of dinput. Well... I I don't know if it's worth it, but here is a dinput8 version of my utility (I only modified the assembly related part) http://bit.ly/2qEoCE3 source code included. Remember to copy the dinput8.dll to the Rayman3 folder after running the utility.
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

Juan_m_2 wrote:Hi guys! I'm new here at the forum. I'm a computer engineer student and a Rayman lover from the childhood. Someone maybe knows me from the work i did on tcrf.net on Rayman articles.

This week I made a util to re-map the keyboard controls from any PC game that uses DINPUT, but the truth is that it was made for Rayman 2 :D
Originally was going to be only for me, but finally I decided to share it.
This program generates a customized DINPUT.DLL file that can be copied to the game directory overriding the keyboard map to the personalized one.
It works only on 64bit PC (dll is 64bit) and it was tested on windows 7 and 10.
Here is the link if someone wants to give it a try
http://bit.ly/2pB1lBL
Oh wow! I've been wanting a dinput-to-dinput mapper for a while now, and I have recently been considering creating one myself. Do you reckon you could possibly add support for game controllers (gamepad-to-keyboard, keyboard-to-gamepad and gamepad-to-gamepad would be great!)? If not, would you mind if I attempted to add such support with the source code you provided? Is the source under any sort of license at all? Thanks for creating this!
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

I just tried these input fixes and they worked like a charm! I've been looking for a way to play my Rayman games on this laptop ever since the left arrow key on the integrated keyboard on my Win8 laptop stopped functioning, so this was a big help! Thank you so much! I may use this on my Win10 laptop when I get it back, since I wnat to make the controls in R3 a little more comfortable for me, even though I'm well used to the defaults by now.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

Should we bnumpt it ?
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Yes, this is actually very useful for people with shitty keyboards. :mrgreen:
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

The reason I like to use a controller for these games is that analog stick vs digital directional controls. I know a lot of people are used to the default controls and it's all comes down to personal preference, but if I was to play this with a keyboard, I'd at least swap A with SPACE. The A button to jump just feels so wrong to me as it's always been SPACE in every single game on PC I have ever played.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687