RayTwol ~ Rayman 2 level editor (1.0 release)

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Re: RayTwol ~ Rayman 2 level editor (1.0 release)

Post by Adsolution »

I'm not sure, because events are still being very tricky to work out. At the very least you'd be able to fully edit the tiles/collision and move events that are already there around.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Just quoting this because I'm curious for more peoples' input on the visual style:

Adsolution wrote:Yesterday and today I've been cleaning up the interface (the style is now borderless with rounded edges) and incorporating some handy new features, including a proper open level window, settings (with axis flipping as per Ambi's request) and an object search bar. Upon opening a level, the camera now also teleports to a convenient place so you don't have to hunt it down through space. Hold and Fetch have been moved to the File menu, allowing you to save and load as many different versions of a level as you like.

I hope to have the hot-update syncing and project management features complete for the 1.1 release.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

I think it looks pretty cool, good work.
abood
Électoon
Tings: 20

Post by abood »

tremendously awesome it's really good to see people making these tools for rayman I always wanted to know how these third party level editors are made! sadly I'm not good enough with scripting yet to do these things i only worked with unity3D c# and abit of c++ if I had the needed skills I would've helped
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

abood wrote:I always wanted to know how these third party level editors are made!
It's pretty straightforward as a concept: the level geometry is extracted and re-loaded into the editor, then objects and their names/coordinates are scanned for in the level files using an algorithm, represented in the editor as boxes (for now). It keeps track of where in the level file each of the objects were stored, and then simply overwrites their coordinate values with the new ones when you save.
abood wrote:sadly I'm not good enough with scripting yet to do these things i only worked with unity3D c# and abit of c++ if I had the needed skills I would've helped
It's being written in C#, which I started learning from working with Unity at first as well. However, the issue isn't so much programming as it is just figuring out how the level files are structured!
Dstrap
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by Dstrap »

Adsolution wrote:Just quoting this because I'm curious for more peoples' input on the visual style:

Adsolution wrote:Yesterday and today I've been cleaning up the interface (the style is now borderless with rounded edges) and incorporating some handy new features, including a proper open level window, settings (with axis flipping as per Ambi's request) and an object search bar. Upon opening a level, the camera now also teleports to a convenient place so you don't have to hunt it down through space. Hold and Fetch have been moved to the File menu, allowing you to save and load as many different versions of a level as you like.

I hope to have the hot-update syncing and project management features complete for the 1.1 release.
Looking tight!
Any idea when the next update's done?
Moonlighter
Lums
Tings: 35

Post by Moonlighter »

This is really awesome! I hope you continue to develop this amazing tool, I myself downloaded the Visual Studio solution to see if I can understand it and help somehow, although I have no previous experience in reverse engineering something so deeply...anyways, real nice job, probably on the way to make my biggest dreams as a child come true hahah
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

I wasn't aware that Ad had released the source code for the project?
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

I believe it's up on GitHub
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Huh, neat. I'll be sure to check it out!
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Moonlighter wrote:This is really awesome! I hope you continue to develop this amazing tool, I myself downloaded the Visual Studio solution to see if I can understand it and help somehow, although I have no previous experience in reverse engineering something so deeply...anyways, real nice job, probably on the way to make my biggest dreams as a child come true hahah
Thanks. The source code isn't supposed to be public though, I just don't have a paid GitHub account and therefore can't create private repositories :roll:

The version on there is also severely out of date in pretty much every way; I've made many core structural changes to it.
Snagglebee
Pti-lote
Tings: 2750

Post by Snagglebee »

Adsolution wrote:The source code isn't supposed to be public though,
says the person that put effort in obfuscating the source code / making the application harder to decompile
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

I'm not actively trying to hide anything though, so I can only interpret that as "look guys, I'm dope"
Moonlighter
Lums
Tings: 35

Post by Moonlighter »

Adsolution wrote:
Moonlighter wrote:This is really awesome! I hope you continue to develop this amazing tool, I myself downloaded the Visual Studio solution to see if I can understand it and help somehow, although I have no previous experience in reverse engineering something so deeply...anyways, real nice job, probably on the way to make my biggest dreams as a child come true hahah
Thanks. The source code isn't supposed to be public though, I just don't have a paid GitHub account and therefore can't create private repositories :roll:

The version on there is also severely out of date in pretty much every way; I've made many core structural changes to it.
Oh....I'm sorry then? :roll:
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

I'm not mad or anything, I was just voicing my irritation with GitHub itself. Go ham with the code... if you want to. I was just making it clear it's not up to date. :P

I'll update it once I get the 1.1 release out, which will have new features.
Rulez
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2310

Post by Rulez »

Adsolution wrote:I'll update it once I get the 1.1 release out, which will have new features.
HUGE features, I bet, haha. No arms, no legs. HUGE features! :)
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Post by Ray502 »

Adsolution wrote:I'll update it once I get the 1.1 release out, which will have new features.
New features like being able to edit Rayman 1 levels perhaps? :winkgrin:
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Snagglebee
Pti-lote

Post by Snagglebee »

Ray502 wrote:New features like being able to edit Rayman 1 levels perhaps? :winkgrin:
How about a new Rayman Designer Mapper if we're at it? :noel:
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

A new mapper for Designer (including the ability to place events) would be easy as piss. The PS1 mapper I'm doing can fully edit tiles (graphics and collision), but events are proving to be incredibly tricky.
Snagglebee
Pti-lote

Post by Snagglebee »

Adsolution wrote:A new mapper for Designer (including the ability to place events) would be easy as piss. The PS1 mapper I'm doing can fully edit tiles (graphics and collision), but events are proving to be incredibly tricky.
Good, add that to the list.