Rayman 2

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

PC
36%
Nintendo 64
6%
Dreamcast
16%
PlayStation 1
7%
Revolution (PlayStation 2)
32%
Forever (GBC)
1%
DS
1%
iOS
0%
3DS
1%

Total votes: 264

CunningCondor
Moussu
Tings: 1105

Re: Rayman 2

Post by CunningCondor »

Can uh... can someone explain this?

Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Oh yeah I've seen this before. :lol:

It's clear that they mean 4 player mini games and are referring to Globox Village, but of course they were going to make a reference with adult humour. :P

Things were different back then though, and look at Rayman 3. It got a 3+ rating despite having a lot of adult humour. Mainly stuff from Begoniax, like calling Rayman a pervert and then hinting for him to take advantage of her.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3466

Post by raymanHUN »

Wow, haven't seen this one yet. It's actually cool to be honest, how they are comfortable enough to advertise with adult humour. I kinda miss those days when video game ads (and ads in general) were a bit fucked up, or straight out didn't make any sense. Simpler days, those were.
minimalism
CunningCondor
Moussu
Tings: 1105

Post by CunningCondor »

raymanHUN wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:45 pm Wow, haven't seen this one yet. It's actually cool to be honest, how they are comfortable enough to advertise with adult humour. I kinda miss those days when video game ads (and ads in general) were a bit fucked up, or straight out didn't make any sense. Simpler days, those were.
The industry was more niche back then. Its since broken into the mainstream so marketing has to have more mass appeal.
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Alright, so I found some scrapped content from this game today which I think is pretty interesting and since not many people have seen it and since I don't think you guys know about these already (I actually just got to know today) so I thought why not share it with you guys. I also found some glitches, skips and other stuff. I know the first video on the scrapped content is short though which is partly the reason I'm gonna keep looking for it still.

Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

I didn't know about Astro 20, thanks for sharing the videos!
Henchman1028
Céloche
Tings: 7626

Post by Henchman1028 »

Been listening to the ambient tracks from Revolution, the one from Revolution, the one for the Tomb of the Ancients really is something:
That heartbeat, the hissing and roaring of some creature and those screams...
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Post by dr_st »

Aaron wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:03 am Alright, so I found some scrapped content from this game today which I think is pretty interesting and since not many people have seen it and since I don't think you guys know about these already (I actually just got to know today) so I thought why not share it with you guys. I also found some glitches, skips and other stuff. I know the first video on the scrapped content is short though which is partly the reason I'm gonna keep looking for it still.
It's quite amazing that this stuff exists and people are still finding more and more of it. Most of these glitches allow significant shortcuts through levels, so they are a godsend to speedrunners. :D
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Pretty cool indeed! Looks like our page for Rayman 2 glitches could use an update. :mrgreen:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

CunningCondor wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 am Can uh... can someone explain this?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e9ab4592cc0 ... 1_1280.jpg
What the syscall 0x2. :paranormal:
Aaron wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:03 am Alright, so I found some scrapped content from this game today which I think is pretty interesting and since not many people have seen it and since I don't think you guys know about these already (I actually just got to know today) so I thought why not share it with you guys. I also found some glitches, skips and other stuff. I know the first video on the scrapped content is short though which is partly the reason I'm gonna keep looking for it still.

That's pretty damn cool! Pity they scrapped that first connection, it would've tied things up so neatly (and made it handier to get around as well!). Funnily enough, I was just wondering as well why there are structures that look like Polokus's pedestal near the Echoing Caves…

EDIT: Just watched the other, longer video. I got burned by the fact that there are two Raymans in the Marshes of Awakening myself today, while testing out my Linux version of the FPS mod (yep, I actually went and made that…). Also, that shell glitch in the Prison Ship feels a lot like my glitch in the Menhir Hills:
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:55 pm Pretty cool indeed! Looks like our page for Rayman 2 glitches could use an update. :mrgreen:
I think I will update it actually (as early as I can so that I don't forget it, though I don't think I will forget) now that you say it. :bigup:
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja

Post by raymanHUN »

It always makes me sad wen I see scrapped content from games I like. It's especially true for Rayman 2, since it's my most favourite game of all time.
minimalism
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Aaron wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:06 am I think I will update it actually (as early as I can so that I don't forget it, though I don't think I will forget) now that you say it. :bigup:
Nice, I'll be sure to check it out!
raymanHUN wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:08 am It always makes me sad wen I see scrapped content from games I like. It's especially true for Rayman 2, since it's my most favourite game of all time.
I think it's actually pretty cool. I mean, sometimes you have to cut content that's either not really consistent with the rest of the game, or of a lower quality. It's only sad when the content is cut due to a lack of time or budget, or sometimes because of bad decisions from the developers.
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja

Post by raymanHUN »

Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:05 pm
raymanHUN wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:08 am It always makes me sad wen I see scrapped content from games I like. It's especially true for Rayman 2, since it's my most favourite game of all time.
I think it's actually pretty cool. I mean, sometimes you have to cut content that's either not really consistent with the rest of the game, or of a lower quality. It's only sad when the content is cut due to a lack of time or budget, or sometimes because of bad decisions from the developers.
Yeah, I mean, it's better to have something shorter but complete, than something that's long and incomplete. It's just that, I can't help but feel how even more awesome the game could've been, would they have been able to keep everything in it, while also making sure that everything was the same in quality. Also, at this point, I've played Rayman 2 so many times I can hardly remember the exact number, and maybe I just want to experience something new, while having the same fun as before, and some more levels could've been it.
minimalism
Henchman1028
Céloche

Post by Henchman1028 »

raymanHUN wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:47 pm
Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:05 pm
Yeah, I mean, it's better to have something shorter but complete, than something that's long and incomplete. It's just that, I can't help but feel how even more awesome the game could've been, would they have been able to keep everything in it, while also making sure that everything was the same in quality. Also, at this point, I've played Rayman 2 so many times I can hardly remember the exact number, and maybe I just want to experience something new, while having the same fun as before, and some more levels could've been it.
As I pointed out, the last quarter of the game after The Sanctuary of Rock and Lava does feel like they ran out of time and had to cut a lot of stuff. The Tomb of the Ancients is great, but Beneath the Sanctuary of Rock and Lava, the Iron Mountains/Gloomy Island and Prison Ship feel very lackluster compared to it.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

Henchman1028 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:29 am The Tomb of the Ancients is great, but Beneath the Sanctuary of Rock and Lava, the Iron Mountains/Gloomy Island and Prison Ship feel very lackluster compared to it.
Well, everything may feel lackluster compared to the Tomb of the Ancients, especially if you are a fan of the creepy atmosphere... However, I did not feel those levels are in any way bad. Scenery may not be as impressive, but they introduce a few unique gameplay elements - the super-helicopter in 'Beneath the Sanctuary', the 360-degree shell ride and ship navigation in Iron Mountains, the shell flight at the end of the Prison Ship - all of them feel right at home.
Henchman1028
Céloche

Post by Henchman1028 »

dr_st wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:22 am
Henchman1028 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:29 am The Tomb of the Ancients is great, but Beneath the Sanctuary of Rock and Lava, the Iron Mountains/Gloomy Island and Prison Ship feel very lackluster compared to it.
Well, everything may feel lackluster compared to the Tomb of the Ancients, especially if you are a fan of the creepy atmosphere... However, I did not feel those levels are in any way bad. Scenery may not be as impressive, but they introduce a few unique gameplay elements - the super-helicopter in 'Beneath the Sanctuary', the 360-degree shell ride and ship navigation in Iron Mountains, the shell flight at the end of the Prison Ship - all of them feel right at home.
They are rather janky and gimmicky, though. Then again, that's not a problem exclusive to them. Same could be said of the water skiing in The Marshes of Awakening and shell riding in general.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

So you see every segment of the game that deviates from the standard "run, jump, shoot" platforming mechanic as "janky and gimmicky"? Oh well. I can't quite agree with you on this. To me this variety is the essence of Rayman 2 and is what makes it fun and special.
Henchman1028
Céloche

Post by Henchman1028 »

By the way, anyone else find it hilarious that the boss theme plays for the random red Henchman 800 at the end of the first section of the Bayou in the PS1 version?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Henchman1028 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:19 am By the way, anyone else find it hilarious that the boss theme plays for the random red Henchman 800 at the end of the first section of the Bayou in the PS1 version?
I don't remember that (having only ever once watched a walkthrough of that version), but yeah, it sounds kinda ridiculous. :fou2:

Anyway, the scariest thing tbh about the Tomb of the Ancients is the bonus level at the end, where you have to get that Baby Globox up the stupid slippery slope. :fou: