Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Re: Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Post by Steo »

Welcome also! :D
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

paulnewman2001 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:11 pm
PluMGMK wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:01 pm Welcome to the forum! :D If you want, you can introduce yourself here. Sorry to hear about the activation email, that's odd. :?
Thank you and it's okay, I'm used to waiting for my mails :D

Welcome! Hope you enjoy this place paulnewman! :)
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Rayman fan2000
Barbara
Tings: 10530

Post by Rayman fan2000 »

...Wow. I was actually really worried that we weren't ever going to see this game again, but I am seriously glad to see that's not the case. This is pretty exciting, actually. I'm really looking forward to whatever is to come next.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Rayrobi wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 pmThe jumping animation I find a bit weird, the way Rayman holds his hands and arms close to his body and then streches them out is too sudden, which makes it look like he's doing a star pose mid-air. In cases when he's sprinting for a long jump, an animation like that is fine, but for smaller, normal jumps it feels out of place. Something along these lines:
thecraftinatorx wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:07 am Maybe the existence of two jumping anims like ray2 could be interesting depending of how much long the button is pressed, or something like this!
As for the environments and art style, they look really nice, and feel like it's Rayman (of course, in a totally different era than 1999 :) ).

Keep up the great work! :bigup:
Thanks! I agree - I was planning on having quite a few each with their own quirks/reasons for activating. :mrgreen: I'll have to think of a good short-jump animation.
paulnewman2001 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:50 am1. Will we get an outlook on Rayman's life?: his house (he had one in some educational game but don't remember which, he also mentioned it in Hoodlums Revenge), his regular activities (besides fighting evil of course), as well as his thoughts about certain people? (maybe his nearest neighbours?, especially friends).
The first level's meant to be a "day in the life of Rayman" (aside from it being coronation day) where nothing's gone wrong yet, like how most RPGs are presented, and you're free to explore/talk. At the very least, the Magician, Betilla and Bzzit are 3 biggies you interact with. Though no he doesn't have a house, he just sleeps on the nearest tree branch or at his little private beach hammock - I really don't picture the inhabitants of the Dream Forest to have much infrastructure, and the Magician is responsible for most of what they have beyond leaves for clothing.
paulnewman2001 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:50 am2. Assuming Aeoropolis is still present in the project, were you thinking about creating some kind of driving mechanics? (cars, maybe bikes? etc.). Such mechanics could be used for side activities like racing, maybe? And also, depending how large you intended the area to be, any kind of faster transport could be useful. This may sound a little GTAish but Ray obviously wouldn't steal cars nor beat up civillians and take their money, it's just always cool to see new mechanics that weren't present in other games in franchise. I'd understand your dissaproval given the tone you've chosen for the game.
I love things being interactive, but picturing the art design for the stage, I see lots of thin, winding roads (carved out of tree branches and stuff) with cars packed bumper to bumper but still rushing, and I can't see how we could give Rayman free control over a vehicle in that scenario, it'd be insanely hard to navigate. I have thought about it though - I at least want to give the cars actual car physics so I have more options down the line, even if they just all end up on waypoints.
paulnewman2001 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:50 am3. Will Globox's personality be based on his Rayman 2 or 3 potrayal? Given this game serves as a prequel to Rayman 2, his 2's potrayal would be most logical but pretty much every game in the franchise is different in some way so his 3's potrayal wouldn't feel out of place. I also prefer his comedic side from 3 over "Big the Cat" one from 2, though it's up to you. I'm also interested how you'll handle their forming friendship :)
Not sure, I was kind of thinking something in the middle - I love Leguizamo as Globox honestly though, and I'm leaning more towards that - though with the overall tone of everything being less comical, things really get to him now and again. When you first meet him at the Snoring Tree, he's getting bullied pretty hard.

Good questions! All ones I'd thought about in some form. :mrgreen:
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi
Tings: 6360

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Adsolution wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:15 am
Rayrobi wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 pmThe jumping animation I find a bit weird, the way Rayman holds his hands and arms close to his body and then streches them out is too sudden, which makes it look like he's doing a star pose mid-air. In cases when he's sprinting for a long jump, an animation like that is fine, but for smaller, normal jumps it feels out of place. Something along these lines:
thecraftinatorx wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:07 am Maybe the existence of two jumping anims like ray2 could be interesting depending of how much long the button is pressed, or something like this!
As for the environments and art style, they look really nice, and feel like it's Rayman (of course, in a totally different era than 1999 :) ).

Keep up the great work! :bigup:
Thanks! I agree - I was planning on having quite a few each with their own quirks/reasons for activating. :mrgreen: I'll have to think of a good short-jump animation.
paulnewman2001 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:50 am1. Will we get an outlook on Rayman's life?: his house (he had one in some educational game but don't remember which, he also mentioned it in Hoodlums Revenge), his regular activities (besides fighting evil of course), as well as his thoughts about certain people? (maybe his nearest neighbours?, especially friends).
The first level's meant to be a "day in the life of Rayman" (aside from it being coronation day) where nothing's gone wrong yet, like how most RPGs are presented, and you're free to explore/talk. At the very least, the Magician, Betilla and Bzzit are 3 biggies you interact with. Though no he doesn't have a house, he just sleeps on the nearest tree branch or at his little private beach hammock - I really don't picture the inhabitants of the Dream Forest to have much infrastructure, and the Magician is responsible for most of what they have beyond leaves for clothing.
paulnewman2001 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:50 am2. Assuming Aeoropolis is still present in the project, were you thinking about creating some kind of driving mechanics? (cars, maybe bikes? etc.). Such mechanics could be used for side activities like racing, maybe? And also, depending how large you intended the area to be, any kind of faster transport could be useful. This may sound a little GTAish but Ray obviously wouldn't steal cars nor beat up civillians and take their money, it's just always cool to see new mechanics that weren't present in other games in franchise. I'd understand your dissaproval given the tone you've chosen for the game.
I love things being interactive, but picturing the art design for the stage, I see lots of thin, winding roads (carved out of tree branches and stuff) with cars packed bumper to bumper but still rushing, and I can't see how we could give Rayman free control over a vehicle in that scenario, it'd be insanely hard to navigate. I have thought about it though - I at least want to give the cars actual car physics so I have more options down the line, even if they just all end up on waypoints.
paulnewman2001 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:50 am3. Will Globox's personality be based on his Rayman 2 or 3 potrayal? Given this game serves as a prequel to Rayman 2, his 2's potrayal would be most logical but pretty much every game in the franchise is different in some way so his 3's potrayal wouldn't feel out of place. I also prefer his comedic side from 3 over "Big the Cat" one from 2, though it's up to you. I'm also interested how you'll handle their forming friendship :)
Not sure, I was kind of thinking something in the middle - I love Leguizamo as Globox honestly though, and I'm leaning more towards that - though with the overall tone of everything being less comical, things really get to him now and again. When you first meet him at the Snoring Tree, he's getting bullied pretty hard.

Good questions! All ones I'd thought about in some form. :mrgreen:
Thank you for answering! :winkgrin: And yeah, I understand the case about car physics. There would also have to be a reason for Ray to use a car in story (does inhibitants of the Glade even need driving license?, lol), maybe something regarding Rigatoni's circus? (if it still exists of course, maybe slightly basing it on TAS?) But like I said, it's up to you, I'm just giving my ideas to fill something in between. Still, amazing work. :D And also, poor Globox :cry:, let's hope that Ray would teach those bullies a lesson :pascontent: . Edit: Sorry for double posting, meant to edit it to correct mistakes but I was typing on phone.
Last edited by paulnewman2001 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pipann
Bzzit
Tings: 58710

Post by Pipann »

We do already have a completed model for Globox which leans by far the most to the design of Rayman 3. In fact I downloaded an original model ripped from the game for reference and to help keep the proportions intact. We will be meeting more of Globox's species too, so his model will also be our template for those other members. We'll be using different morphs to make variations in their shapes (ever wondered how Globox would look if he lost a few pounds?) and texures for the other colorations they most commonly appear in (given Globox' blue situation, this means reds for males and pink for females). I also have plans to introduce tadpole versions for the infants, with tails and stubby limbs compared to their older variants who will develop to their fully limbed state around the age of 8 to 10.

This obviously also brings questions about their living spaces, their culture and how they function as a community. The quaggan species from Guild Wars 2 would make a great example to draw inspiration from. They're a peaceful amphibious race who are obnoxiously polite, build their dwellings underwater and often leave the eggs and hatchlings to a single caretaker.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
ZelenPixel
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2255

Post by ZelenPixel »

i havent followed the fangame but as someone who loves overthinking worldbuilding stuff like this (ESPECIALLY with the frog people) i think this is awesome!!
Dear Mario,

Where am i
nitwitsworld
Super Lums Jaune
Tings: 185

Post by nitwitsworld »

This is getting greater and greater.
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi

Post by paulnewman2001 »

All of this sound amazing :o, this would give the characters more depth than ever before. I'm prolly most interested how chemistry between main limbless trio: Ray, Raven and Dark Ray would be handled. Judging by prievous comments, it'll certainly be both surprising and emotional.
Last edited by paulnewman2001 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

So you guys are using that "Globox was originally red" plot point? I wasn't sure how seriously that was meant to be taken, especially since we see hundreds of blue baby Globoxes in Rayman 2. But then maybe that's another stage in the lifecycle you mentioned (right after tadpole)? :D
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

PluMGMK wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:33 pm So you guys are using that "Globox was originally red" plot point? I wasn't sure how seriously that was meant to be taken, especially since we see hundreds of blue baby Globoxes in Rayman 2. But then maybe that's another stage in the lifecycle you mentioned (right after tadpole)? :D
Yes. It probably won't make sense, but I'm gonna go with the 'it becomes a genetic thing' excuse. Then again, a lot of things don't make sense in the Rayman universe. Besides, it's not like this plot hole was any of our doing to begin with. :lol:
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi

Post by paulnewman2001 »

One question before dissapearing for a while (learning :sad:), meant to ask it before, will Rayman have his specific theme?, Raven does and Dark Ray would certainly have one as well given he's the main baddie.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Pipann wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:30 am
PluMGMK wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:33 pm So you guys are using that "Globox was originally red" plot point? I wasn't sure how seriously that was meant to be taken, especially since we see hundreds of blue baby Globoxes in Rayman 2. But then maybe that's another stage in the lifecycle you mentioned (right after tadpole)? :D
Yes. It probably won't make sense, but I'm gonna go with the 'it becomes a genetic thing' excuse. Then again, a lot of things don't make sense in the Rayman universe. Besides, it's not like this plot hole was any of our doing to begin with. :lol:
Fair enough! I wouldn't have blamed you guys for ignoring it altogether.
Reviewerbot-32
Antitoon
Tings: 5

Post by Reviewerbot-32 »

If you don't mind me asking, how do you find the incentive to keep going after all this time?
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

I don't know about Adsolution, but I've surely felt at some point that nothing was happening and I was just wasting my time (see: cryengine not doing what we wanted it to do and as a result things were dead silent for a while).

I just think 3D modeling is fun, and normally I wouldn't be doing it nearly as much if it weren't for this project. On top of that I get to work on both existing characters and make up new ones. Not just characters either, but pretty much everything you expect to see in a world. It's a lot of work, sure. At the moment it seems like 90% of all our 3D asset work is dependant on me right now and a full game normally has at least a whole team of those people. I don't know yet. But for now I'll just keep making new stuff for us to use. Because it's fun.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

I was wondering, do you plan have the toads from legends as the evil counterpart that is in constant conflict with the members of the Globox's species?
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:25 am I was wondering, do you plan have the toads from legends as the evil counterpart that is in constant conflict with the members of the Globox's species?
I was thinking about that as well, maybe Rayman could turn the side of the conflict earning full respect of Globox's species? I'd also imagine that Globox would be slightly laughed at by his colleauges beacuse of his skin's accident and cowardice, this could possibly lead to a small talk with Rayman in which they'd develop their friendship, what do you think?
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

paulnewman2001 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:54 pm
Elite Piranha wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:25 am I was wondering, do you plan have the toads from legends as the evil counterpart that is in constant conflict with the members of the Globox's species?
I was thinking about that as well, maybe Rayman could turn the side of the conflict earning full respect of Globox's species? I'd also imagine that Globox would be slightly laughed at by his colleauges beacuse of his skin's accident and cowardice, this could possibly lead to a small talk with Rayman in which they'd develop their friendship, what do you think?
I think they're great ideas, however I don't know if Globox being laugh at because of his skin is necessary IMO. Maybe Rayman was the one that encouraged Globox to learn the rain dance, however I wonder who actually taught him to do that (maybe Ly or a Teensie?).
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:11 am
paulnewman2001 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:54 pm
I think they're great ideas, however I don't know if Globox being laugh at because of his skin is necessary IMO. Maybe Rayman was the one that encouraged Globox to learn the rain dance, however I wonder who actually taught him to do that (maybe Ly or a Teensie?).
Yeah, you're probably right, like Adsolution described, when you first meet Globox in the game, he'd be bullied by some guys (different species probably) and Rayman would most likely intervene, him being also bullied by his own species would be too much. And also, about the rain dance, I'd imagine it to be part of Globox's culture so he'll probably know it already, maybe we could learn the history behind it and such, Rayman could be a part of some celebration where this dance will be performed.
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

Unless Ads says I can, I'm not spilling any beans about Globox ;)

Also, by her request, I'm working on some giant trees. Here is a part of it (with a tiny green rayman standing next to it for size reference)
Attachments
afbeelding_2020-10-10_122358.png
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ