Michel Ancel decided to stop making video games

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique
Tings: 25637

Michel Ancel decided to stop making video games

Post by StelzenBomber »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFRbPpnqCxu/

Honestly heartbreaking, and i dont know what to think

I hope hell follow his new passion though, best of luck to him

But what will happen to rayman now?
ZelenPixel
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2255

Re: Micel Ancel decided to stop making video games

Post by ZelenPixel »

remember rayman 3 was made moslty without his involvement and even he mentioned that.. but either way this sucks
im so tired of rayman tbh like i miss actually playing the games (since i havent much at all in a while) but im utterly tired of waiting and hoping for anything only to be screwed over time and time again. it just leads to disappointment every dam time
and yet i cant find myself being too upset over this news. i guess you dont feel that upset if you just dont care that much anymore! ive just lost a lot of passion for rayman lately due to a combination of stuff including constantly being screwed over
i dont even know what this ramble was about im sorry i guess i just snapped a little. and i wish ancel luck in animal care now
Dear Mario,

Where am i
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Man, this is really happening isn’t it... :cry:

I do wish him the best of luck though.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Nve
Chasseur
Tings: 1954

Post by Nve »

A strange decision for someone involved in the mid of two projects. Of course, Rayman can be developed without him, but I doubt whether Ubisoft can make games nowadays (their creative level has dropped very low, ideas are recycled or copied from other games, the latest titles from Ubi Forward are excellent examples). Maybe Ancel will share more information about his works, as he is now independent of the company.
ZelenPixel
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2255

Post by ZelenPixel »

he did say bge2 and wild are gonna go on without him as development is going smoothly independently apparently so theres that i guess
.. what a post and time to get me an icon change (hell yea though i love the robots)
Dear Mario,

Where am i
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

It is kind of sad to hear that, specially considering that at one point he showed interest in working on Rayman again, but at the same time I wish him the best of luck in his new projects. A new Rayman game can be made without him, but I wonder if there is anyone in Ubisoft that has the passion to make a new Rayman game that isn't a cash grab.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Re: Michel Ancel decided to stop making video games

Post by Hunchman801 »

I was under the impression that Ancel had given up on ever working on a new (main series) Rayman game since 2005 (or, arguably, even 1999) so I can't see this as changing anything at all. At least he's clarified the situation now, and I wish all all the best in his new endeavors.

As for the series, it certainly is dead, but it was already, so it's just a matter of whether one day Ubisoft will decide to revive it. Judging from the current situation, this is clearly not their plan for now.
boomboleros7
Mr Stone
Tings: 68091

Post by boomboleros7 »

If I was expecting to read this...
2020 is really a mad year... :(

But the choice is yours, Mr Ancel, and I wish you all the best for this new adventure in wild life. :up:

Despite what he said about Wild and Beyond Good and Evil 2, I have a bad feeling about the future of these games without him... :?

Concerning Rayman... Well, Rayman 3 proved we can create a pretty good Rayman game without Michel Ancel (well, almost, since he was a little implicated in the project).
If Ubisoft decide to create a new Rayman game as ambitious has the original trilogy or the UbiArt trilogy (I insist on that IF), let's hope it will involve a team as passionate as the Rayman 3 one.

And let's not forget Frédéric Houde, the other creator of Rayman, who still works at Ubisoft Montpellier (on BGE2, for now).
Maybe he will bring us a good surprise in a few years?

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Id say the best shot on a new rayman game would be the same devs as rayman 3, ubisoft paris iirc

But...i doubt ill happen
R4Y_ANC3L
Bras maléfique
Tings: 500

Post by R4Y_ANC3L »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:36 pm I was under the impression that Ancel had given up on ever working on a new (main series) Rayman game since 2005 (or, arguably, even 1999) so I can't see this as changing anything at all. At least he's clarified the situation now, and I wish all all the best in his new endeavors.

As for the series, it certainly is dead, but it was already, so it's just a matter of whether one day Ubisoft will decide to revive it. Judging from the current situation, this is clearly not their plan for now.
I had this same feeling about this whole thing but mainly in the highlighted lines.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

For some reason I don't feel that surprised. He's been doing this a long time, and I can see why he'd want to retire. I wish him the best of luck!
boomboleros7 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:04 pm Despite what he said about Wild and Beyond Good and Evil 2, I have a bad feeling about the future of these games without him... :?
Yep. I'm now pretty much saying goodbye to the prospect of actually enjoying BG&E2, if I ever even buy it. :( And of course that's the end of BG&E3, the originally-planned sequel to the original – dammit! :x
Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:36 pm As for the series, it certainly is dead, but it was already, so it's just a matter of whether one day Ubisoft will decide to revive it. Judging from the current situation, this is clearly not their plan for now.
QFT. Doesn't bother me much anyway, since no promise that I can recall has been broken by anyone (apart from the whole platformer thing way back in 2006), and neither Michel nor Ubisoft owes us (or any fandom) anything.

On the bright side, the modding scene for Rayman is in a better shape than it's ever been, Rayman Redemption has come out recently (and will be followed by ReDesigner), and Revenge of the Dark and other magnificent fangames are still being worked on. Who needs official content! :hinhin:
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

I can't wait to see how those fangames turn out. As long as those games are around, I won't get bored of Rayman that easily! Of course there's the originals nad ubiart games also for me to look forward to.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Sadly, to me, the fangames can never reach the same qualety as an officialy published game
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Why not? Would you not say that Rayman Redemption's quality equalled or surpassed the original? A lot of fans sure would say that.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Because personaly, fan games always have some stuff that just feels...out of place
Or dont have enough polish (depends)

Or smaller stuff like not being on console, which makes sense
Or missing multiple languages (idk if redemption has any other than english)
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, you're right about the languages. It feels weird having a Rayman game without French as an option…
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

I know that my copy of Rayman 2 for PS1 doesn't have French either. :mefiant:
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Alexinator
Paluchard
Tings: 545

Post by Alexinator »

:sad:
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Alexinator wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:17 am:sad:
So true... :sad:

When it comes to how BG&E2 and Wild are finished is one thing, but what it means for Rayman is another.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Dark Skink
Paluchard
Tings: 507

Post by Dark Skink »

I guess he just want a break not retire