Rayman Headcanons

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

MortisDoors
Créature
Tings: 310

Re: Rayman Headcanons

Post by MortisDoors »

I like to imagine that Mr dark is just some huge joker and not a serious villain at all.
PluMGMK
Tily
Location: The besht small country in the world in which to do business!
Tings: 39565

Post by PluMGMK »

Here's a headcanon I had last year:
PluMGMK wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:55 pm I have a new idea for how Rayman M might be canon. The pirates noticed that Rayman was able to win power by racing against Ly, and a few of them decided to trick the inhabitants of the Glade into thinking they wanted a friendly race, so they could win the same power for themselves. Of course, the inhabitants of the Glade were wise to that, and devised this elaborate race tournament, culminating in the Pirate Factory, so they could gather some useful intel while leading the pirates in a merry dance. They also convinced the pirates that they could win even more power with an evenly-matched battle tournament, hence Battle Mode, which allowed them to get in some useful combat training.

Taking this to its conclusion, one could say that Rayman 2's denouement might have been a lot more prosaic than that game made it look – instead of a lone hero (Rayman) taking down the pirate empire, there was in fact a parallel, co-ordinated sabotage campaign by the supposedly-enslaved inhabitants of the Glade, taking place in the background. In fact, maybe the Masks were yet another distraction for Razorbeard, to keep him concentrating on Rayman while everyone else got on with tearing apart the empire from within. :idea:

EDIT: Maybe the pirates stipulated that they should also have input into the design of the tournaments, and some of the smarter ones decided that the Battle Mode should culminate in the Glade's Temples, as a quid pro quo for the Factories. This could even explain the presence of pirate cages deep in the Sanctuaries of Stone and Fire and Rock and Lava.
Taking it further, perhaps Murfy's sarcastic comments about Rayman's prowess at the beginning of Rayman 3 were actually reflecting how he was sick of propping up Ray's ego, when saving the Glade was actually more of a collaborative effort than the main games suggest. And maybe RRR is when everyone got sick of propping up his ego, so they decided to let him rot in a prison run by crazed rabbits – remember how he called out for Globox? :hap:
lumgum
Aéroniflard
Tings: 3147

Post by lumgum »

PluMGMK wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:09 pm Taking it further, perhaps Murfy's sarcastic comments about Rayman's prowess at the beginning of Rayman 3 were actually reflecting how he was sick of propping up Ray's ego, when saving the Glade was actually more of a collaborative effort than the main games suggest. And maybe RRR is when everyone got sick of propping up his ego, so they decided to let him rot in a prison run by crazed rabbits – remember how he called out for Globox? :hap:
That might also be an explanation for why Origins and Legends let you play as other characters and in co-op mode. Being stuck with the Rabbids taught Rayman to work with others and let them have credit too!

Dark Rayman says hi! I'm also still in Candy Chateau!
My current rank is: Hoodmonger Soldier! Don't aim for that target on my shoulder, okay?
PluMGMK
Tily

Post by PluMGMK »

My thoughts exactly!

Of course, there's also that Rayman Legends trailer about how everything is better with friends, or something like that! That's probably what got me thinking in this space…
Croboculous
Piranha
Tings: 115

Post by Croboculous »

I have no evidence for this, but I like to think Barbara is the daughter of Grogh from Tonic Trouble. They've both got that strong Viking vibe to them, along with their red hair.
:lololol: :destroy:
Elite Piranha
Sssam
Tings: 33127

Post by Elite Piranha »

Croboculous wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:42 am I have no evidence for this, but I like to think Barbara is the daughter of Grogh from Tonic Trouble. They've both got that strong Viking vibe to them, along with their red hair.
I really like that idea, and considering that Grogh at some point was some kind of ruler/king of the world, that would explain why Barbara used to be a princess.
MisterDark'sFanClub
Céloche
Tings: 7890

Post by MisterDark'sFanClub »

So here's a headcanon I made a whole AU out of: Rayman and Mr. Dark are rogue spells who gained sentience because Betilla and the Magician used them one too many times.
"You're fragile, too. But at least you can be put back together." ~Mr. Dark (Shadows of Magic AU)
PluMGMK
Tily

Post by PluMGMK »

Betilla used Rayman and the Magician used Mister Dark, or they were each using both?
MisterDark'sFanClub
Céloche

PluMGMK wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:22 pm Betilla used Rayman and the Magician used Mister Dark, or they were each using both?
Rayman was Betilla's spell (a sun ray spell used to project her image) and Mister Dark was the Magician's spell (a shadow spell meant to spy on people)
"You're fragile, too. But at least you can be put back together." ~Mr. Dark (Shadows of Magic AU)
PluMGMK
Tily

Post by PluMGMK »

Yes, that makes sense!
MisterDark'sFanClub
Céloche

I have a headcanon about the bullets that have mallets swinging out of them in Rayman 1. Mr. Dark created the hunters, but when he created their weapons he'd never seen a gun before and had no clue what one looked like, so he went with his best guess.
Indy
Dragon Médiéval
Location: Echoing Caves and my work department in a corner of my house.
Tings: 10311

Post by Indy »

Even though Razorbeard and his Robot Pirate army aren't depicted in this manner in the games, but I can imagine that their race can possibly sniff or sense a person's pheromones, and their physical, as well as mental health.

From bits of mixed lore that I could find, the Pirates are from outer space, which technically makes them extraterrestrial or "alien".
So, it's not crazy to think that such a advanced race would be capable of this. Some animals in the animal kingdom can sense prey via vibrations (spiders), and others detect that something may be wrong with people (cats and dogs).
PSN: Toxic_Dragon_96
Twitter: DeltaVelocity
PluMGMK
Tily

Post by PluMGMK »

Interesting theory… Is that the means by which they "steal the dreams which they could never have themselves"?
Indy
Dragon Médiéval
Location: Echoing Caves and my work department in a corner of my house.
Tings: 10311

Post by Indy »

PluMGMK wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:18 pm Interesting theory… Is that the means by which they "steal the dreams which they could never have themselves"?
Yes and no. My fan interpretation is that they can smell, for example, depression, PTSD, anxiety, and other health related problems. I already mentioned that dogs and potentially cats can detect cancer or be registered as support animals for these reasons. If Razorbeard or his Henchmen did have this ability, they wouldn't care, unless the afflicted person benefitted them.
PSN: Toxic_Dragon_96
Twitter: DeltaVelocity