How to get Tonic Trouble Special Edition working on your PC!

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Garo
Incrediball
Tings: 390

How to get Tonic Trouble Special Edition working on your PC!

Post by Garo »

If you are looking for the retail version of the game go here.

Just like the retail version of Tonic Trouble, Tonic Trouble Special Edition can also be played on modern PC's! So if you're interested in playing this strange early beta of Tonic Trouble, I got you covered.

Credits to Eddd for creating the TTSE Fixed Executables.

Part 1: Obtaining the Game

If you thought the retail version of Tonic Trouble was hard to come by then you are in for a surprise! This game is VERY RARE and because of that it's not sold anywhere online. And just like the retail version of Tonic Trouble it was never officially released digitally. Because of this I'm just going to link the latest version of this game from the Internet Archive because reasonably no one will get their hands on this game physically and Ubisoft doesn't care about this game anyways. Download both the .bin and .cue file so you can mount the disc backup with a program like DAEMON Tools Lite.

TTSE v8.7.4 BIN (Latest Version)

TTSE v8.7.4 CUE (Latest Version)

TTSE v8.5.2 (Best version for speedrunning)

Part 2: Installing the Game

Run Setup.exe and install the game normally. Setup.exe should work on any release of Windows. Once the game is installed download the Tonic Trouble Special Edition Compatibility Patch and extract all the files from the .zip file to the game directory. The default path is "C:\UbiSoft\Ed".
TTSE Comp Patch v1.2.zip
TTSE Compatibility Patch
(729.71 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Next download the TTSE Fixed Executables and replace the original "MAID3DVR.EXE" with the fixed executable for your game version. This will prevent the game from crashing when loading certain levels.
SE_Fixed.7z
TTSE Fixed Executables
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 275 times
Part 3: Playing the game without the disc mounted

Unlike the retail version of Tonic Trouble, Tonic Trouble Special Edition works without the disc mounted with no modifications! However many sounds and music tracks don't play if the disc isn't mounted, and the intro cutscene never plays either. Fortunately, the NO DISC patch fixes these issues entirely! Simply extract all the files inside the .7z file to your game directory.

TTSE NO DISC Patch

Part 4: Miscellaneous

As of today when I posted this (June 20, 2022) the compatibility patch includes the latest version of dgVoodoo (v2.8.2). If this version is outdated and you wish to update dgVoodoo to the latest version, simply download it here and replace dgVoodooCpl.exe, dgVoodoo.conf, DDraw.dll, and D3DImm.dll with the newer versions. Keep in mind this will reset your original dgVoodoo configuration.

Tonic Trouble Special Edition now supports both DInput and XInput controllers with the new compatibility patch. DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers unfortunately do not work with Tonic Trouble Special Edition though. Using a program like DS4Windows should be a good workaround, or any other XInput wrapper of your choice.

Check out my Tonic Trouble Special Edition AI Upscaled Texture Pack if you want better looking Hi-res textures!

If you're interested in setting up widescreen, go here.

If you're reading this, here's a secret Tonic Trouble promo video from 1998.
Last edited by Garo on Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:15 am, edited 12 times in total.
"Troublesome isn't it, and untidy too." - The Magician from Rayman
Garo
Incrediball

Re: How to get Tonic Trouble Special Edition working on your PC!

Post by Garo »

Hey everybody! New update for Tonic Trouble Special Edition! I have recently added XInput support for Tonic Trouble Special Edition via a tool called Xidi. The new update has been added to the compatibility patch here. Simply extract all the contents of that .zip file to your game directory and you're set! Unfortunately I could not get support for DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers. Using a program like DS4Windows should be a good workaround though, or any XInput wrapper for that matter.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

2nd update for Tonic Trouble Special Edition! I've made the ReSound patch take up less space by removing unnecessary files. This brings the size of the ReSound patch down from 122 MB to 108 MB. It isn't a huge difference but I thought it would be nice. If you already have the ReSound patch installed then you won't need to do anything as this new update is practically the same, it just takes up less space.
LordHans96
Électoon
Tings: 10

Post by LordHans96 »

Hello!l

Like for the retail version (I explained it on the thread there) it always crahed in the title screen. Please help, I loved this game
LP
dec7356
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by dec7356 »

Hi, when I try to install the game normally I get the following error:

Impossible to copy D:\Indeo\IR41_32.DLL to C:\windows\system32\IR41_32.DLL

After this it tells me it is unable to install Indeo and the installation fails. How do I get around this?