Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
mistercallumb
Créature
Tings: 310

Re: Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary

Post by mistercallumb »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:00 am
mistercallumb wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:13 am Does anyone have any questions about the project at all? Can be anything really. I'm considering putting together a Q&A video if there are enough questions :)
Which official games will The Dreamer's Boundary draw inspiration from?
Good question! The main inspirations for me were Rayman 1 and 2, especially when it comes to the level design, collectibles and how I put everything together. There's some good precise platforming and its less chaotic and slippy than the UBI Art titles in terms of how it plays. But there's also some mechanics and ideas from Origins that I put in and even some stuff that I really liked from Crash 4 as well such as how deaths are handled!
Making a Rayman Fangame called Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary. Wanna check it out?
https://gamejolt.com/games/dreamersboundary/507525
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

So no Rayman 3? I suppose it's hard to mix everything together and keep things consistent.
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:00 am So no Rayman 3? I suppose it's hard to mix everything together and keep things consistent.
Yeah, it's hard to include everything because the design approach and tone between R2 and R3 are quite different. Not to say I don't love Rayman 3, its a lovely game, but I've struggled to fit much of it into the vision for this game. Saying that, there are at least one or two levels that definitely take some loose ideas from Rayman 3 so there'll be some nods.
Making a Rayman Fangame called Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary. Wanna check it out?
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

I agree, I think it's for the best.
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

Okay, so here's another preview of the game, specifically of some of the things I originally said I'd implement vs. how they've now been implemented. It was initially a tease I gave during Ryemanni's stream of the Demo from last year.

Take a look!

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Nice, I can see more variety in enemies already. :)
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

So as a quick update... I've released the cover art for the game! It's something quite special. I'm going to see if I can embed it here (my bad forum skills might show 8) so we'll see...)

So its there, right down below!! I love it so so much, it was drawn by PeppermintBubble and they did a fantastic job.

There's a lot going on in this image, most of which I won't say anything about yet ;) and that I'm sure you'll be able to put together in the final release... Speaking of which, there might be some news around that next month.

Let me know what you think!

EDIT: I should've done this from the start! But here is PeppermintBubble's Twitter :)
https://twitter.com/PeppermntBubble

Last edited by mistercallumb on Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

It is an amazing cover, here is the artist's Twitter:
ItzalDrake
Reflux
Tings: 8658

Post by ItzalDrake »

Wow, this cover art looks great!
Hello! Image
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

Elite Piranha wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:16 pm It is an amazing cover, here is the artist's Twitter:
Ahh, thank you so much! I should've done that from the start - I'll edit my original post to add it in as well :D
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

It's beautiful, amazing cover.
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:47 pm It's beautiful, amazing cover.
Thank you! (I can't take credit) but still thanks :D

I guess as a general update...

I decided ultimately not to include the game in SAGE2022 due to how close the game is to being finished and releasing, but not ready in time to launch alongside SAGE! And the idea of another demo just before… (SAGE is a fan game expo that happens every year) Seemed a little bit pointless to me. So yeah, that’s right. The game is coming real soon. There’ll be a final trailer coming very soon that will announce the release date, and then that’ll be it! Before then I think I’m going to release one final piece from the beautiful soundtrack.

So yeah, that’s the vague timeline!
- Music track
- Final Trailer
- Game Release
- Soundtrack Release

Timings to be revealed soon. I hope you’re all looking forward to it.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I'm impressed at all the progress you've made! Looking forward to finding out the release date. :)
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:14 am I'm impressed at all the progress you've made! Looking forward to finding out the release date. :)
weeeeeeeeell....

ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 10082

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Wow, I haven't kept up with this one as much as I should've! There's been so much progress since I played the 2021 demo, and all of a sudden we're days away from a final trailer! Exciting stuff! :D

PeppermintBubble's art looks fantastic as well. (I swear I've heard that name before somewhere!) I haven't given a listen to the huge soundtrack any because I want to be surprised while playing through the game. Definitely looking forward to September! :mryellow:
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

ChronicTraitor wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:06 pm Wow, I haven't kept up with this one as much as I should've! There's been so much progress since I played the 2021 demo, and all of a sudden we're days away from a final trailer! Exciting stuff! :D

PeppermintBubble's art looks fantastic as well. (I swear I've heard that name before somewhere!) I haven't given a listen to the huge soundtrack any because I want to be surprised while playing through the game. Definitely looking forward to September! :mryellow:
Aaah, thank you so much :) other people being excited is honestly making me so excited to release it!
PeppermintBubble also did some artwork for Redemption so that might be where you are recognising their name from :D
Totally makes sense with the soundtrack, there are A LOT of fun surprises.
ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 10082

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Personally I'm excited to see it release so soon because I've seen so many fangames here get given up on. Always makes me sad because many of them seemed to have very interesting ideas/characters/gameplay/art. The full 3d ones come to mind first, though I've seen 2d ones abandoned as well. Here's hoping they come back someday and surprise me with an update!

Ah that's right, I've seen their name in Redesigner's Credits! I feel like I've seen them around here too, back when I wasn't a member yet. Not entirely sure on that though.

Man, September can't get here fast enough. Now I'm curious about these musical surprises you've mentioned! :mryellow:
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

ChronicTraitor wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:56 pm Personally I'm excited to see it release so soon because I've seen so many fangames here get given up on. Always makes me sad because many of them seemed to have very interesting ideas/characters/gameplay/art. The full 3d ones come to mind first, though I've seen 2d ones abandoned as well. Here's hoping they come back someday and surprise me with an update!

Ah that's right, I've seen their name in Redesigner's Credits! I feel like I've seen them around here too, back when I wasn't a member yet. Not entirely sure on that though.

Man, September can't get here fast enough. Now I'm curious about these musical surprises you've mentioned! :mryellow:
Yeah, its always a shame if a fan game kinda just fizzles out, I've had many myself many years ago that have faded away and stopped being worked on. So I'm so proud of myself for finishing this one and having something cool to deliver to the community. I'd love to get into 3D development but I don't have that knowledge just yet :D

Yeah Pep's art is always really good and I figured as they've got some good Rayman experience already it'd be silly not to commission some art!

It's not long!! 2 Days until the trailer ;) I won't be spoiling any of the surprises, musically or game/story-wise :P I've kept it for like 2 and a half years, I have to be strong for the last few weeks... :mrgreen:
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

mistercallumb wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:34 am Yeah, its always a shame if a fan game kinda just fizzles out, I've had many myself many years ago that have faded away and stopped being worked on. So I'm so proud of myself for finishing this one and having something cool to deliver to the community. I'd love to get into 3D development but I don't have that knowledge just yet :D
Even with the knowledge, it's a lot of work and you have to be really scrappy and make a bunch of compromises to deliver a decent game without the support of a full team. Anyway, looking forward to the trailer!