Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

ChronicTraitor
Knaaren
Tings: 5880

Re: Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Just picked up the update, I picked up your game yesterday but didn't get around to it because it'd gotten late. But now I've got plenty, time to jump in! :winkgrin:
need my speed
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9845

Post by need my speed »

I just played until Antitoon Hideout. I quite like it! I love the music - seriously, did you make the soundtrack yourself? Wow! - I love the use of Rayman's jingle from Rayman M/Arena, I like the consistent and 'cute' (?) artstyle, and I love how almost everything is animated - really good job! :)
Last edited by need my speed on Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello there! o/
mistercallumb
Matuvu
Tings: 220

Post by mistercallumb »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:36 pm No problem, I'll redownload. :fou2:

I have also posted about the game on the site's front page. ;)
Woooah thank you so much <3
ChronicTraitor wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:26 pm Just picked up the update, I picked up your game yesterday but didn't get around to it because it'd gotten late. But now I've got plenty, time to jump in! :winkgrin:
Enjoy :D I hope you have a great time with it.
need my speed wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:40 am I just played until Antitoon Hideout. I quite like it! I love the music - seriously, did you make the soundtrack yourself? Wow! - I love the use of Rayman's jingle from Rayman M/Aren, I like the consistent and 'cute' (?) artstyle, and I love how almost everything is animated - really good job! :)
Excellent, and thank you for the kind words about the art - it means a lot as its definitely something I know I need to continue improving on myself. For the music, I composed a lot of the earlier tracks in the game, but ALL of it was produced by a really good friend of mine and then he also worked on original compositions from around world 2 onwards. So he deserves a lot of the credit for how beautiful the music is. His name is Alexander Reade. I'll be posting the full OST on Thursday :)

I hope you all are enjoying the game. It does ramp up the difficulty towards then end so I apologise in advance for any rage the final boss causes :D this has definitely taught me a lot about difficulty scaling ;)
Making a Rayman Fangame called Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary. Wanna check it out?
https://gamejolt.com/games/dreamersboundary/507525
hoodlumsworld
Barbara
Tings: 11000

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Love it so far! ❤️ Will post more as I make progress. ☺️
ChronicTraitor
Knaaren
Tings: 5880

Post by ChronicTraitor »

mistercallumb wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:26 pm Enjoy :D I hope you have a great time with it.
I did, having torn through the bulk of the game yesterday afternoon. Fantastic work! :bigup:
I'll definitely pick up the awesome soundtrack when it gets here, I had too many favorites! :coeur:

Trying to gain any height from purple lum swings is proving to be incredibly difficult though. Maybe I'm just not jumping off at the right time? You'll probably be able to guess where I'm having trouble with it, but I can PM about it if I must. I wouldn't want to spoil anything! :winkgrin:
mistercallumb
Matuvu

Post by mistercallumb »

ChronicTraitor wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:26 pm
I did, having torn through the bulk of the game yesterday afternoon. Fantastic work! :bigup:
I'll definitely pick up the awesome soundtrack when it gets here, I had too many favorites! :coeur:

Trying to gain any height from purple lum swings is proving to be incredibly difficult though. Maybe I'm just not jumping off at the right time? You'll probably be able to guess where I'm having trouble with it, but I can PM about it if I must. I wouldn't want to spoil anything! :winkgrin:
Firstly thank you so much:) yeah the music is so awesome. There's some incredible stuff especially towards the end ;)

I have a feeling I know exactly what you're referring to so please do send me dm if you need. It's a different way of approaching what you have to do and it requires speedy inputs :D
Making a Rayman Fangame called Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary. Wanna check it out?
PluMGMK
Olympia
Tings: 32010

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, the music's absolutely amazing, it slots in so naturally to Rayman's world as if I'd been hearing it all my life, but it's also fresh! Also, there's something oddly pleasant about the use of both the Lum sound and Rayman 1's Gendoor sound in the same game…

Anyway, I found a little proofreading error:
Should be &quot;you're&quot;
Should be "you're"
screenshot-1663437827.png (15.58 KiB) Viewed 553 times
mistercallumb
Matuvu

Post by mistercallumb »

PluMGMK wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:29 am Yeah, the music's absolutely amazing, it slots in so naturally to Rayman's world as if I'd been hearing it all my life, but it's also fresh! Also, there's something oddly pleasant about the use of both the Lum sound and Rayman 1's Gendoor sound in the same game…

Anyway, I found a little proofreading error:screenshot-1663437827.png

Oooh good spot thank you! I'll add that to the next version :)

I'll pass on this feedback to the composer. I know he'll be so happy to hear that, he loves the Rayman music so much.
PluMGMK
Olympia

Post by PluMGMK »

mistercallumb wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:26 pm I hope you all are enjoying the game. It does ramp up the difficulty towards then end so I apologise in advance for any rage the final boss causes :D this has definitely taught me a lot about difficulty scaling ;)
Having now gone through all of this, I can say that the final boss wasn't the most frustrating of them. There was a boss somewhat before that which caused the most rage. Not to mention a certain level in between where I racked up 59 deaths! :confus: I think the conclusion was really satisfying though! :)

Btw, I guess the reason for most levels having a cage that requires fewer than four deaths to reach, is the "extra help" you get when you die that many times?
mistercallumb
Matuvu

Post by mistercallumb »

PluMGMK wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:20 pm Having now gone through all of this, I can say that the final boss wasn't the most frustrating of them. There was a boss somewhat before that which caused the most rage. Not to mention a certain level in between where I racked up 59 deaths! :confus: I think the conclusion was really satisfying though! :)

Btw, I guess the reason for most levels having a cage that requires fewer than four deaths to reach, is the "extra help" you get when you die that many times?
Ooooh I'm so curious to know which levels caused you the most pain :D I think I can guess :P It's really interesting how different people are finding different boss fights harder etc. they're all quite different in terms of pace and style so I suppose that makes sense!

And yeah, the cage for less than four or less than one deaths is treated as more of an optional challenge to each level in beating it without the extra health powerups or even getting through it all in one - quite heavily inspired by the Crash Bandicoot games there - I really like it as a system as well, because to be able to conquer some of the post game content you really need to be able to do everything beforehand.
PluMGMK
Olympia

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, the boss fight I'm referring to is the one against The Nightmare, which sends you back to the beginning of the first phase if you fail in the second. I liked the chilling opening dialogue for that btw. Something like "you can't stop it, only observe"… Then the level where I died 59 times was Rising Evil. The sequences of punch-to-activate platforms with rising lava below were really punishing, at least to me…
need my speed
Le Capitaine

Post by need my speed »

I didn't (and don't) understand why some doors remain locked. For example, I am sure I died less than four times, but a door remained locked. And then there is also a door which demands me to... Not have yellow lums? The doors confuse me.
Hello there! o/
Steo
Globox
Tings: 96425

Post by Steo »

Nice work on getting this game out there. I'm always happy to see fan projects like this!
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
PluMGMK
Olympia

Post by PluMGMK »

need my speed wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:49 pm And then there is also a door which demands me to... Not have yellow lums? The doors confuse me.
Yes, that's exactly what it means. I think it would be nice to have advance warning of such a door, but then I'm not sure how that would be implemented…
need my speed
Le Capitaine

Post by need my speed »

Yes... I would call that bad game design, to be honest. I also saw something in a post here about a door unlocking if you don't collect any healthpoints?

There are also sometimes sections from where you can't go back, while it is unclear whether that is the main path or not, or if you will eventually trigger a secret to be able to get back to get the final collectibles. I think this is a minor thing though, I only noticed it once so far!

EDIT: Actually, no, I don't think this is necessarily bad game design, because you need to replay levels anyway, so then you might as well add a challenge like this. I do not know yet if needing to replay the exact same level - without any added difficulty or changes or anything - is good game design, though. But it's a staple of Rayman games. :P
Hello there! o/
mistercallumb
Matuvu

Post by mistercallumb »

Wow I have lots to reply to!
@PluMGMK yeah I thought that might be what you were referencing! Thanks for the feedback on those platforms. It's all super helpful for future projects as well :)

@Need my speed - so yes some doors require no lums, some require all lums and less than four deaths and then some require all lums and less than one death. Although that's pretty rare :) but yeah that's very helpful feedback for me to be honest. Find a way to maybe suggest what challenges are in the level! And same about the points of no return. Annoyingly part of my early spaghetti code but I've definitely noted it for future that it's frustrating.

@Steo I replied on Twitter as well but thank you very much :)

I think that I replied to everything.... if I didn't please tell me off hehe. But seriously thank you for all the feedback and response to the game. Its so lovely and heart warming honestly :D

EDIT: Big news everyone! The Official Soundtrack is out now!!! You can listen to it here. There's also a download link from BandCamp in the video's description. I'd love to know what everyone's favourite tracks are. 8)

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 594419

Post by Hunchman801 »

I had a busy weekend and I'm having a busy week too so I haven's still gotten to trying the game, but it's just a matter of time. :)
mistercallumb
Matuvu

Post by mistercallumb »

Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:13 pm I had a busy weekend and I'm having a busy week too so I haven's still gotten to trying the game, but it's just a matter of time. :)
No worries, hopefully it builds up the excitement even more! I'd recommend avoiding the Soundtrack for now in that case ;) gotta avoid the spoilers :P
Garo
Matuvu
Tings: 235

Post by Garo »

Wow I had now clue that this fan game would get a whole announcement here! Definitely well deserved, glad many more people are able to play this fantastic game!
"Troublesome isn't it, and untidy too." - The Magician from Rayman
RaymanM64
Mouru
Tings: 3905

Post by RaymanM64 »

Interesting , im gonna play it hehe ! ~
JE SUIS DE RETOUR ! Ca va péter des bulles !