How could we improve the portal?

For all things related to Pirate-Community and its websites.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Do you find the eBay ads useful?

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes: 21

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

How could we improve the portal?

Post by Hunchman801 »

Image Serious topic inside Image

Hey all!

Lately, I've been wondering how we could improve the portal of PC. One year ago, no one used it. It was quite understandable actually, as people mostly visited PC for its forums. This is why I decided to add ergonomic links to RayTunes and RayWiki (the first one now generates almost 20% of the global traffic of PC in terms of bandwidth), to implement the bottom line and to develop a customisable RSS feed which displays the last messages posted in the forums. There's also a link to the PC news RSS feed, but it's a bit useless as we have no information about the future Rayman games.

Now, more and more people use the portal, and some of them even use it as a homepage. I was asked to add a link back to the portal in the forums, which clearly indicates the potential of our main page. However, we're still far from the optimal yield! It is extremely important to catch people's attention, and to put forward new features so that more people become regular users of the greatest Rayman community.

Now, the challenge is up to us. I've already considered several ideas, and I'm gonna post them in the list below. I absolutely need your opinion about them all, but I also need you to come up with other ideas (Rayman-related or not), even if you think it's impossible. Once we have chosen what to add, we will have to decide where and how to display them on the portal, so that we use as much space as we can without making the page look overcrowded. I count on you all!

Suggestions:
  • Google AdSense: displays Rayman-related ads which could prove useful for members
  • eBay Partners: displays Rayman-related eBay auctions
    Note: Both may yield money and perhaps help PC organise real competitions with nice prizes
  • RayTunes Player: displays a Flash player to listen to Rayman music
    Note: The music would stop as soon as you leave the portal though
  • RayWiki Featured Article: displays a summary of a RayWiki article with a link to the full page (see Wikipedia's main page)
  • Personal Space: displays whatever you want (links to the pages you often visit, custom pictures, etc.), just use BBCode
    Note: It would be user-specific and would not appear if you are not logged in
  • Calendar: displays a small calendar with events submitted by users (and validated by moderators ;))
  • Picture of the day: displays a new Rayman picture each day
    Note: It may be linked to the RayGallery project, if someone wanted to resuscitate it
  • Affiliates list: displays a list of websites affiliated to PC
  • Rayman 3 Hall of Fame: displays the top ten best Rayman 3 players with a link to the full list
    Note: We need to create our own HoF first
  • Forum Hall of Fame: displays the top ten members in terms of posts, Tings, boon score, etc.
  • Lights On: displays information about a certain event on the community
  • Embedded videos: displays a video from YouTube or Dailymotion
More to come!
Joshua822
Estellia
Tings: 21010

Re: How could we improve the portal?

Post by Joshua822 »

Please no adds. Link to sites like Rayman Fanpage and Wanted Rayman instead. For the rest, i like the idea's. Maybe you can make a background for the portal and use transparent boxes for content ^^
Matyuv
Gangsta Globox
Tings: 54431

Post by Matyuv »

R3 Hall of Fame maybe? I'm not if that's possible though

Or maybe even a PC hall of fame, something like a list of members who have most tings, posts... or the best boonscore :mrgreen:
MandM81 wrote:YYYYYYYRRRHLHLPYYYYYYPDPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYRRRRRR
neo
Musicien
Tings: 67444

Post by neo »

I really like the personal space thing, maybe have visitor messages and an about me etc.

Hre is a pic

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/s ... nalspc.jpg

Well, something like that. ;3
Xenon
Pirate Lunette
Tings: 98896

Post by Xenon »

Matyuv wrote:R3 Hall of Fame maybe? I'm not if that's possible though
It's indeed an awesome idea, and in fact he's trying to contact Ubisoft Paris for the score codes. I haven't heard from him recently, but I hope things are going well. I'd love to have one which wouldn't have to be manually changed everytime someone finishes a level.

I'm not sure what else could be added. Maybe a clock...? I certainly think the portal needs 'Raymanizing', but I'm not sure exactly how.
neo
Musicien

Post by neo »

Also, I really like the Calendar Idea, for example, I'll be moving to Philedelphia on or around Feb 25th, but I'm not sure if events should be rayman or board related?
Xenon
Pirate Lunette

Post by Xenon »

There could be a calendar with members' birthdays and other important PC-related dates :)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Joshua822 wrote:Please no adds.
Just to clear up things, the ads I'm talking about would not be the blinking pop-up kind. It's possible to customise the colour scheme so that they do exactly look like a real part of the portal, like the forum RSS feed. In fact, I doubt it would yield a lot of money, the main goal is to display potentially interesting Rayman-related links.
Joshua822 wrote:Link to sites like Rayman Fanpage and Wanted Rayman instead.
Wanted Rayman is dead, but it may be interesting to develop a real partnership with Rayman Fanpage. So, you're actually thinking of an affiliates list?
Joshua822 wrote:For the rest, i like the idea's. Maybe you can make a background for the portal and use transparent boxes for content ^^
So far, I'm planning on keeping the same design and dividing it into strips and boxes. But I'm sure we could use semi-transparent backgrounds for those boxes.
I'm already in touch with Ubi about it, but things aren't going the right way lately. I'll phone them after the holidays. Sounds cool anyway, but I'm just wondering if many people would be interested.
Matyuv wrote:Or maybe even a PC hall of fame, something like a list of members who have most tings, posts... or the best boonscore :mrgreen:
I've already seen this on several websites, sounds like a good idea as well.
neo wrote:I really like the personal space thing, maybe have visitor messages and an about me etc.

Hre is a pic

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/s ... nalspc.jpg

Well, something like that. ;3
Well, it's a cool thing, but it's not what I was talking about at all :mrgreen: I was thinking of a personal space that would only appear for you, so that you can quickly access the other websites you often visit, for example.
Xenon wrote:I'm not sure what else could be added. Maybe a clock...?
The clock could be part of the calendar :)
neo wrote:Also, I really like the Calendar Idea, for example, I'll be moving to Philedelphia on or around Feb 25th, but I'm not sure if events should be rayman or board related?
Both :)
neo
Musicien

Post by neo »

Awesome, ok. About the Raytunes player, since it stops once you leave it, maybe it should be there if a little more things can be done on the portal by the user. I dont know, like a comment box or shout out box that members can use (suggested that only members can use it that is).
Matyuv
Gangsta Globox
Tings: 54431

Post by Matyuv »

Hunchman801 wrote:
I'm already in touch with Ubi about it, but things aren't going the right way lately. I'll phone them after the holidays. Sounds cool anyway, but I'm just wondering if many people would be interested.
Good luck.

And well, if there was a HoF maybe even I would replay the game (haven't played it for like 4 years I think lelel)
But what are the people at Ubi saying? Why isn't it going the right way?
MandM81 wrote:YYYYYYYRRRHLHLPYYYYYYPDPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYRRRRRR
Xenon
Pirate Lunette

Post by Xenon »

Here are some more thoughts:
  • Ting lottery, similar to Holy Crap's, only automatic
  • Spellchecker
  • Ranklist
  • List of most active topics
  • Recently made topics
  • Most active forum of the day
  • Information on Teensie Quiz
  • Information on other competitions
  • PC Documentary incorporated :hehe:
  • Livechat
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

neo wrote:Awesome, ok. About the Raytunes player, since it stops once you leave it, maybe it should be there if a little more things can be done on the portal by the user. I dont know, like a comment box or shout out box that members can use (suggested that only members can use it that is).
I'm not sure a shoutbox would be a great idea, it's better to focus on the forums :)
Matyuv wrote:Good luck.

And well, if there was a HoF maybe even I would replay the game (haven't played it for like 4 years I think lelel)
But what are the people at Ubi saying? Why isn't it going the right way?
The guy I contacted first just stopped replying to my messages... like several months ago :pfff: It sucks, because he was really OK and I was sure I would get the algorithm very quickly. Well, it's Ubi :)
Xenon wrote:Here are some more thoughts:
  • Ting lottery, similar to Holy Crap's, only automatic
  • Spellchecker
  • Ranklist
  • List of most active topics
  • Recently made topics
  • Most active forum of the day
  • Information on Teensie Quiz
  • Information on other competitions
  • PC Documentary incorporated :hehe:
  • Livechat
In the same order:
  • Sounds cool, I could do something nice in AJAX. It wouldn't be displayed for guests though.
  • A spell checker on the portal? O_o
  • Definitely not, it's way too big
  • Sounds cool as well
  • Why not, but isn't it a bit redundant with the forum RSS feed?
  • I think we could use one box for all those statistics, maybe with the forum HoF as well...
  • What about a Lights On box? We could introduce several things, such as the Teensie Quiz, the competitions, the documentary, etc.
  • Ditto
  • Ditto
  • As I've said above, I'm not sure it's a great idea
Phew, that was a lot of ideas ^^
Shawn
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by Shawn »

Maybe we can select our own color schemes?

(maybe this was already said.)
Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation-but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For if you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs, heirs of God and co-heirs of Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Xenon
Pirate Lunette

Post by Xenon »

I don't think that's such a good idea.

Hey, didn't Droolie once make an online Rayman game? Maybe you could contact him to see whether this could be added to the portal so that users here could play together or something. xD
neo
Musicien

Post by neo »

Hmmm, I am all out of Ideas. :mryellow:
Jman
Bzzit
Tings: 57987

Post by Jman »

neo wrote:Awesome, ok. About the Raytunes player, since it stops once you leave it, maybe it should be there if a little more things can be done on the portal by the user. I dont know, like a comment box or shout out box that members can use (suggested that only members can use it that is).
I really like the idea of a Raytunes player. Maybe like a flash player on the bottom that works from page to page.
ImageImage
6/100 - Not Boon :partyhat:
Tobbe
Big Mama
Tings: 288691

Post by Tobbe »

Hunchman801 wrote:
  • Rayman 3 Hall of Fame: displays the top ten best Rayman 3 players with a link to the full list
    Note: We need to create our own HoF first
  • Forum Hall of Fame: displays the top ten members in terms of posts, Tings, boon score, etc.
Thumbs up for those two. Especially for the R3 and Boon Score HoF's.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Surgeon may think he is God, but God knows he is no surgeon
Jman
Bzzit
Tings: 57987

Post by Jman »

But Tobbe, I thought Pr0oO don't go on the boon score because they don't apply to the Boon O'Meter.
ImageImage
6/100 - Not Boon :partyhat:
Holy Crap
Vendeur
Location: I AM OMNIPRESENT! (Just like God, only better, because I exist)
Tings: 80202

Post by Holy Crap »

There's all sorts of stuff on this portal which you could consider: http://thenerdsenturage.2ksite.com/portal.php
It even has a top poster list.
A calender of notable dates on PC and birthdays and stuff would be good too.
By the way Hunch, I like the snow.
Tobbe
Big Mama
Tings: 288691

Post by Tobbe »

Jman wrote:But Tobbe, I thought Pr0oO don't go on the boon score because they don't apply to the Boon O'Meter.
How's that relevant?

You should change your sig, btw. Youe Boon Score is lower now. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Surgeon may think he is God, but God knows he is no surgeon