Rayman Optimum

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Snagglebee
Pti-lote
Tings: 2750

Rayman Optimum

Post by Snagglebee »

You may can already start Rayman 1 by yourself on newer PCs using DOSBox or use simply Pok2's patch, but this ladies and Gentleman is going further beyond! A patch that has never been before ever! Even it outshines UbiSoft's release of Rayman Forever in Rayman Collection! Only in this collection you can see Rayman 1 Rayman Designer Rayman by his Fans and even the rare and unkown Rayman 60 Levels in English, French and German compiled together in one link. Unlike Pok2 & GoG and UbiSoft, this one can bring the full native speed back like it was in the old Windows 95 PCs. There are so many videos out there in YouTube on which you can here bad and scratchy soundeffects. This one give you the best quality that was available back then. Using filters and renderers it can improve the graphics and make it look decent on your high definition monitor. Even the intro clip has been enhanced to play in full 60 frames per second. In conclusion it is indeed the best you can get to play Rayman 1 in modern technology!

Add-Ons:
[list]
Lossless Audio Quality Upgrade
Extras
Custom PCX Files for Rayman Designer created by Fans
[/list]

Truner's Realm - Quick Look: Rayman Optimum

Tips:
  • If you got nVidia Optimus, I'd recommand you to launch the games with your intergrated chip.
  • It's always better to take the smallest resolution that your monitor can handle.
  • Some scalers will not work with OpenGL so if you want a specific one take DDraw instead.
  • You can record best with Bandicam.
  • Apply slowmotion fix only if your games run in slowmotion!
  • Never ever play with the frequencies selection in the options menu!

Special thanks to Truner !
Last edited by Snagglebee on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 133 times in total.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Re: Rayman Mega Patch

Post by Rayfist »

Interesting... is this really true? Sounds great.
Also welcome to the forums, if you want to introduce yourself
http://www.raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=739242
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
Snagglebee
Pti-lote

Post by Snagglebee »

Thank you.
For sure its true! Pics and videos will follow for provement.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone
Tings: 67030

Post by Shrooblord »

Good luck! I'm quite excited about this project, as I've always found it rather frustrating that my Rayman 1, Gold, Plus and other variants of the game never want to work on my computer. I'd, for sure, replay the entire game at its intended difficulty if you could create a patch to fix the thing.

I am curious though: how are you testing and how do you know that your patch is working? It sounds interesting.
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~! (Or here.)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
Snagglebee
Pti-lote

Post by Snagglebee »

I have a second PC. With that I can test it. But also I planned to hire some testers.
Danone
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by Danone »

This really sounds magnific!
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

If this is true, then I am really looking forward for this. :D
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

emshomar wrote:I have a second PC. With that I can test it. But also I planned to hire some testers.
If you need someone to test it on XP, count me in! No need for money, either. ;)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist »

I wouldn't mind being a tester also if an early position is available
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Danone wrote:This really sounds magnific!
'Magnific' is the wrong word, I'm getting tired of people using it, it literally means 'magnified.' The word you're looking for is 'magnificent.'

Anyway, this sounds very interesting. But if it isn't too much trouble, can we see some screenshots or maybe a short, ten second progress video? Any kind of proof of concept is better than none.

If this will actually be ready for a beta in a mere few weeks though, I'll definitely inquire about the beta test (I'm not sure if it's closed or open). I could also offer technical/artistic critique if it's wanted.
Snagglebee
Pti-lote

Post by Snagglebee »

I will post a video. But to prove I will betray some infos. To set real game speed you'll need to edit dosbox.conf. Under caterogy CPU set core to "dynamic", cycle to "auto limit 60000", cycleup to 0 and cycledown to 0. So far tested on Rayman 60 new levels. But may work also on other R1 Games.

I think the beta Test is enough to prove.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

FIRST
It had to be said.

May I suggest you invest in a desktop recording program? You could get something free like CamStudio, or you could get something like Fraps.
Good progress on your patch there. Did you trick the game into changing the aspect ratio with that frequency change, or is this something the game does already, by itself? Does it still affect the frequency if this is the case?
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Shrooblord wrote:Did you trick the game into changing the aspect ratio with that frequency change, or is this something the game does already, by itself?
The game runs only in 16:9. It was made to run with black bars on 4:3 monitors if you've noticed, and running it in scaled 1080p on a 16:9 monitor makes it take up the whole screen.

Why it's running in 16:10 in his version I have no idea, but the game for a fact does run natively in 16:9. It could perhaps be a regional difference, but that wouldn't really make sense.
Snagglebee
Pti-lote

Post by Snagglebee »

It has to do more with DosBox. Some 16:9 Monitors support 16:10 so fullfilled screen should be possible with them. But this laptop doesn't support 16:10. Strech the image is also impossible. So some 16:9 monitors will recive black bars like this one.
I'm still looking for a soloution. What type of monitor you have?
Adsolution wrote:The game runs only in 16:9. It was made to run with black bars on 4:3 monitors if you've noticed, and running it in scaled 1080p on a 16:9 monitor makes it take up the whole screen.

Why it's running in 16:10 in his version I have no idea, but the game for a fact does run natively in 16:9. It could perhaps be a regional difference, but that wouldn't really make sense.
In reality the game is made for 16:10 monitors with a resolution of 640x400. If it was for 16:9 then the resolution took to 640x360. Most 16:9 monitors support 16:10 (and 4:3 too) so fullfilled screen will be shown on 16:9. This leptop doesn't support 16:9 and image stretching works only in frequence 50.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

emshomar wrote:In reality the game is made for 16:10 monitors with a resolution of 640x400.
It technically does run in 16:10, however not at 640x400, at 320x200. Unlike its console counterparts, it doesn't run at a scaled resolution.

You don't want to be stretching it though, that's bad. Keep it at 60 hertz with the black bars, else you're playing the game on a stretched aspect ratio. Switing the frequency to 50 is stretching it (for whatever reason I'm not sure), and that's not a good thing. Black bars will always rule over having a stretched viewport.
Last edited by Adsolution on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

emshomar wrote:I'm still looking for a soloution. What type of monitor you have?
My resolution is 1280x1024. I guess that makes it a 4:3, since it's quite square, not at all like a widescreen.

Also, because you're new, the mods will be leniant on this, but know: we would really appreciate it if you used the forum's EDIT button to edit your posts, as opposed to making a new one if you wanted to add something to a previous post (if by then nobody else has posted of course). Thank you!
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Shrooblord wrote:My resolution is 1280x1024. I guess that makes it a 4:3, since it's quite square, not at all like a widescreen.
Actually, 1280x1024 is one of the few 5:4 ratios in existence, which is why it's one of the worst things ever invented.
Snagglebee
Pti-lote

Post by Snagglebee »

Your right! I better let these black bars on a unsupported 16:10 monitor.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I own a 5:4 (1280x1024).
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

I used to own one too.