The Video Game Recommendation Thread

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
El Dango
Aline Louïa
Tings: 105675

The Video Game Recommendation Thread

Post by El Dango »

You like being a responsible consumer, right? Surely you don't like buying something that turns out to be a disappointment? Because, while reviews can be very helpful when it comes to making an informed decision, they don't always answer the little questions that might mean more to you than to anyone else, and these answers are more likely to be found on forums such as this one.

Video games can be expensive, and even if they aren't, nobody likes spending money on something they don't like. So here's a thread dedicated to asking. Ask anything about a game you might be interested in1, or about games that may be similar to ones that you've already played and enjoyed.2

Let me start out with two questions:

1In Assassin's Creed IV, how much of the game consists of sailing compared to being on land? I ask because the sailing is the main aspect that draws me to game.

2I'm starting to develop a taste for tactical stealth games. Does anyone know about other games/franchises similar to Metal Gear and Splinter Cell?

You don't have to justify your reasoning, or directly follow either of the two examples. Creating strict rules and regulations for something like this seems extremely silly and counter productive, though it's probably in your best interest to make yourself as clear as possible, making it easier for everyone to know exactly what you're looking for.

So that's all. Ask questions, answer questions, go nuts!
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
(If you don't wanna, however, that's perfectly okay (I'm hardly a role model))
MrBadGuy
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Re: The Video Game Recommendation Thread

Post by MrBadGuy »

El Dango wrote: 1In Assassin's Creed IV, how much of the game consists of sailing compared to being on land? I ask because the sailing is the main aspect that draws me to game.
There's a lot of sailing, far more than I'd want personally, I'd say you're on the ocean about the same amount of time that you're on land, especially if you're looking for materials and such. I just find it slow and repetitive, but if that's what floats your boat (:D) then fair enough.
2I'm starting to develop a taste for tactical stealth games. Does anyone know about other games/franchises similar to Metal Gear and Splinter Cell?
I only really know about those two :s
Click the picture for a hi-res version of the opposite of the worst artwork your eyeballs haven't ever not seen
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Post by OCG »

This is excellent site for finding similar games:
http://www.similargames.org/
Similar to Splinter Cell:
http://www.similargames.org/games-like- ... inter-cell
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
El Dango
Aline Louïa

Post by El Dango »

MrBadGuy wrote: There's a lot of sailing, far more than I'd want personally, I'd say you're on the ocean about the same amount of time that you're on land, especially if you're looking for materials and such. I just find it slow and repetitive, but if that's what floats your boat (:D) then fair enough.
Sounds good to me, thanks!
MrBadGuy wrote:I only really know about those two :s
Yeah, it's strange. I can only think of a couple that have a few things in common with these, like Hitman, but that's still a very different experience.
OldClassicGamer wrote:This is excellent site for finding similar games:
http://www.similargames.org/
Similar to Splinter Cell:
http://www.similargames.org/games-like- ... inter-cell
Interesting site, but many of those are quite a stretch. God of War?
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Post by OCG »

The way your character move is similar in both games :P
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
rolesfamily
Uglette
Tings: 74925

Post by rolesfamily »

If you like anything to do with fighter plane games or WW2 then Secret Weapons Over Normandy is probably my favourite game on the PS2. It's seriously under-rated. Made by Lucas-Arts. It's got a great arcadey feel to it, with great characters, voice overs and story. A really fun game to play through, and it's timeless. Honestly one of the true greats, and I'm lucky I stumbled upon it.
Signature made by Harpic fraîcheur
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

I'm starting to develop a taste for tactical stealth games. Does anyone know about other games/franchises similar to Metal Gear and Splinter Cell?
Hmm, while I'm not all that knowledgeable about this genre, I did try and like the Dishonoured game, which does employ stealth and sneaking as a main factor.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

El Dango wrote:
MrBadGuy wrote: There's a lot of sailing, far more than I'd want personally, I'd say you're on the ocean about the same amount of time that you're on land, especially if you're looking for materials and such. I just find it slow and repetitive, but if that's what floats your boat (:D) then fair enough.
Sounds good to me, thanks!
Interestingly, for me, it was a game that after a couple hours I would feel a little bored by, but then the next day I would be incredibly hyped and ready to play it again.

The main problem with the game for me is its on-foot combat. It's so easy it's downright lame. There's no skill involved really, and you're literally a shinigami. They also threw customisation down the toilet and confined you to using twin swords; I was always a heavy weapons user (axes, maces) with shortblades being a close second in previous AC games, and this just let me down. Swords were almost always my last choice.

However, the sailing, naval combat and on-foot platforming segments are excellent.

I wish that they'd overhaul the fighting mechanics so that your primary skill actually is assassination, like in the first game, and that if you chose to fight directly, it would be challenging, and a challenge you most likely will take considerable damage from (you'd only be able to take on, say, three people at a time towards the end of this hypothetical game).
El Dango
Aline Louïa

Post by El Dango »

My only previous experience with AC is the demo for Liberation, which does indeed have really bizarre controls, especially for combat. That's the main reason I want to start with Black Flag AKA the pirate one! Image If that can't sell me on this series, nothing can.
Master wrote:
I'm starting to develop a taste for tactical stealth games. Does anyone know about other games/franchises similar to Metal Gear and Splinter Cell?
Hmm, while I'm not all that knowledgeable about this genre, I did try and like the Dishonoured game, which does employ stealth and sneaking as a main factor.
I've heard so little about this game since its release that I've never even thought about buying it. Still looks different though, I prefer the Bond/military/infiltration style of MGS and SC, and I've always thought third person was a better fit for stealth games. Might still check it out.

Thank you all for the help :)
Disionity
Reclu
Tings: 2700

Post by Disionity »

I might as well contribute to this thread as well. I'm looking for something new and different to play anyway. Can anyone recommend any action/adventure games with strong atmosphere (I know, a quite loosely applied term) and puzzle-solving elements similar to the first two Oddworld titles or even The Legend of Zelda franchise?
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Meh, this is going to sound a little stale coming from me, but have you ever given the Metroid series a gander?
Disionity
Reclu
Tings: 2700

Post by Disionity »

I played a bit of the original game and its SNES sequel, but I really haven't had much of a following with the series outside of that. I hear Super Metroid and The Prime series raved on about from to time. I will try to look further the franchise though. Thank you for the reminder.
El Dango
Aline Louïa

Post by El Dango »

Disionity wrote:I might as well contribute to this thread as well. I'm looking for something new and different to play anyway. Can anyone recommend any action/adventure games with strong atmosphere (I know, a quite loosely applied term) and puzzle-solving elements similar to the first two Oddworld titles or even The Legend of Zelda franchise?
My best bets are Beyond Good & Evil and the Arkham games. Maybe some of the Tomb Raider games.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

There's also Star Fox Adventures, which is more similar to Zelda than anything. Often overlooked as being a 'betrayal' to the series, it's actually a very inspired adventure with some absolutely delectable atmosphere, especially in places like the Ocean Force Point Temple. It's more oriented toward action-adventure than Zelda games (and as a result, the puzzle cognition, while obviously present, isn't quite as laid out, extravagant or difficult) with much less reliance on formula, and the 'dungeons' are less definitive and more integrated with the progression of the journey.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

El Dango wrote: My best bets are Beyond Good & Evil and the Arkham games. Maybe some of the Tomb Raider games.
Oh yes, I'd highly recommend these games. However, for Beyond Good & Evil, I'd say get the console version. Forget getting the PC version unless you have an older machine from it's time, because the game has pretty bad graphical glitches on newer hardware. Been this way for over a few years. :(
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

I've had no problem running it on my GTX 580 and 3570K, maybe it just has some specific hardware issues?
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

Well the game itself runs alright, it's just you get weird texture glitches and stuff vanishing or flashing when they shouldn't. :|
MrBadGuy
Antitoon

Post by MrBadGuy »

I need some recommend!
I'm done with A Link Between Worlds (great game btw) and I'm looking for a new gaim for 3ds.
Already played 3d land, OoT, Rayman, Pokemon, Scribblenauts, Mario Kart, NSMB and a few others.

Was thinking of getting Donkey Kong but I ain't not never played it, any suggests?
Click the picture for a hi-res version of the opposite of the worst artwork your eyeballs haven't ever not seen
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

The new Kirby game, Triple Deluxe. It's going to be released on May 2nd.
MrBadGuy
Antitoon

Post by MrBadGuy »

Ah yeah, saw that today and was thinking of pre-ordering, but then found out it doesn't come out here until the 16th :(