Who likes modding Rayman 2 & 3?

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
MixerX
Moine
Tings: 550

Who likes modding Rayman 2 & 3?

Post by MixerX »

Hey guys,
I know it's been some time since some of your members tried to get textures from Rayman 2 and Rayman 3, and nobody could help them. Recently I've digged myself into this and after some testing I somehow got into the developers' minds and understood not only how the texture archives, but also the textures themselves are stored. I've been able to convert all of Rayman 2 and Rayman 3 textures into readable pictures. See attachment as a proof that I'm not lying :) There's still a lot of work on the little applications because I want to be able to put the textures back into game, so I won't publish them yet. I promise to update when I make more progress with import, which can be tomorrow, in few days or in the worst case in summer. I'll try to work on it today though :) I see you're still an active community so I hope you'll appreciate it. See you soon.
Attachments
Rayman.zip
The proof.
(1012.63 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Re: Who likes modding Rayman 2 & 3?

Post by Master »

I'm not the most technically minded, nor do I see myself doing any modding of any sorts, but this does sound rather interesting.
Are these the PC versions you're talking about here?
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

That's pretty awesome, MixerX! I haven't looked at the PC version's *.gf texture files in years, but I do know that I had no idea how to convert those! Well done, and good luck on the import part! That will certainly be interesting. :)
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Judging by Droolies reaction, I'd guess you've done us a great service, thanks!
MixerX
Moine

Post by MixerX »

Hey guys, I'm back with a lot of good news and some bad news. Nothing too tragic, though. I have managed to successfully finish the applications that I was talking about. To be more specific, there are three of them:

CNT Tool
Works with Rayman 2 and Rayman 3's graphic content *.cnt archives. It is possible to both extract and import files.

GF2 Tool
Works with Rayman 2's *.gf picture format. As I have previously said, it converts game's picture format into common Targa pictures, and vice versa. It should be possible to correctly convert any picture that you create into *.gf with only one limitation: the dimensions of your picture have to be power of 4 (16, 32, 128, 2048, ...) and in 32-bit TGA format without RLE. You can set this in most of common graphics software like Photoshop.

GF3 Tool
Works with Rayman 3's *.gf picture format. This format is slightly different and I have not yet figured out what would be the best way to work with it, thus converting into this format is not yet supported. You can, however, convert MOST of game's 32-bit pictures (stored in CNT archives starting with 'text32') into TGA.

One note though, these tools don't have any Graphic Interface so you have to work with them from command line. It's not that difficult, I advise you to put all three applications into one directory and copy a CNT file next to them. Then you can simply right-click cnt.exe and choose 'Create Shortcut', and put something like '-e File.cnt directory' after Target which would extract all files into 'directory'. The CNT application creates 'convert_all.bat' which, if you run it, converts all extracted *.gf files to *.tga. Everything is written down in Readme.txt and also in the apps, if you run them with -h.

I have also created (for my own purposes) a tool to edit Rayman 2's texts which I might (or might not, depending on my mood and your reaction :) ) later release too. Here's something that I did with all of these programs:

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6tr90iq8o
It should be possible to create some high-resolution textures and put them into game, so this might be a good chance for someone to create an HD mod for this classic game :)

So, here is the link for tools:

Code: Select all

http://www.lokalizacie.sk/editory/1-rayman-texture-tools/
Have fun
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

This is amounting to something rather interesting, it would be epic (if not a little late, I guess) to see Rayman 2 and 3 be open for modding.
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

This is awesome! I'll try it out as soon as I can, can't do it now because I don't have access to my computer with the Rayman games installed.
Any chance you could reveal some specifications of the *.gf files to a file format nerd like me or make your tools open source so I can possibly expand it? :p
MixerX
Moine

Post by MixerX »

Hmm, I chose to do this in plain C (because it's an awesome language for simple applications) and wrote variable names, comments etc in Slovak so I don't think it would be readable enough for you. I don't see what you mean by 'expanding it'. Adding a GUI?

On file format, well I had a lot of fun figuring it out. I found a topic at Xentax about this from a few years ago but the problem was that those guys didn't even extract the files correctly. Using the CNT app, you get the right output... so now you can possibly try to figure it out yourself. It's a very interesting format, highly efficient in size.
SilentSanctuary
Barbara
Tings: 11395

Post by SilentSanctuary »

Could you please release that tool for editing Rayman 2 texts? I really like translating games (to Finnish, I'm a Finn) so would it be possible for you to release the tool?
MixerX
Moine

Post by MixerX »

It could be possible to hand it to you. Contact me through PM, mail or FB page.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Bumping, I know we've been able to figure out these tools for Rayman 2, but has anyone actually tried using the Rayman 3 tools?
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

I have. They work on some textures, like MixerX said, but not all of them. Source code for these programs would be nice, obviously.
GOT4N
Photographe
Tings: 400

Post by GOT4N »

RibShark wrote:I have. They work on some textures, like MixerX said, but not all of them. Source code for these programs would be nice, obviously.
Don't even bother trying PM'ing him lol, that's been 3 months I'm trying to contact him , but I didn't managed, also, I managed to extract e3 files with the extractor, but they can't be converted :(
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Have we tried other mediums of communication? Looking at it, it seems he's got a Facebook and an official website.
GOT4N
Photographe

Post by GOT4N »

Master wrote:Have we tried other mediums of communication? Looking at it, it seems he's got a Facebook and an official website.
IIRC RibShark tried to contact his facebook as I don't have one and his website and it didn't worked :p
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Hmm, looking at his website, he appears to have shared some email details: http://www.lokalizacie.sk/kontakt/
GOT4N
Photographe

Post by GOT4N »

yup, but he didn't awnsered us IIRC :p
Shrooblord
Mr Stone
Tings: 67030

Post by Shrooblord »

Heh, I've never realised that textures like the Pirate signs and sails would be half wide and then mirrored to save asset space. Smart!
MisterX is my hero for including the Foutch head as an example, though. ;D

But if I'm not mistaken, in Project Unlock Ray, aren't we able to now completely read and convert the texture files for R2? Or was that something else we were able to do?
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~! (Or here.)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

The tools used in ULR are Mixer's, I'm assuming they just figured out how the tools worked so that it could be used by the general public.
GOT4N
Photographe

Post by GOT4N »

Master wrote:The tools used in ULR are Mixer's, I'm assuming they just figured out how the tools worked so that it could be used by the general public.
Exactly.