Rayman 1

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

Jaguar
4%
PC
23%
PlayStation
58%
Saturn
7%
Game Boy Colour
1%
Game Boy Advance
3%
DSi
3%

Total votes: 206

dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Re: Rayman 1

Post by dr_st »

I agree about the base game, however, the extra level packs (Designer etc.) do start to feel tedious at some point. Especially the "By His Fans", which is mostly of mediocre quality. Not having boss battles to spice things up in between standard platforming sections also contributes to that.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Oh yeah, "By His Fans" is full of amateur-level stuff. Which makes perfect sense, but you'd wonder how they judged the "competition" that supposedly took place to decide whose levels got in :P
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

I was looking forward to playing that game some day. Now I'm worried! :lol:
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 10082

Post by ChronicTraitor »

I have to say that having fought Mr. Dark in the GBC version actually did help me in the bossfight that feels similar to it in Redemption. Though that's more of a case of "Ah I know this one, lemme handle this!" because I joint-ventured with Cosmic and knew how fighting him worked. :mryellow:
(No such luck for RM1's final boss, that's Cosmic's forte!)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

dr_st wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:56 pm Not having boss battles to spice things up in between standard platforming sections also contributes to that.
This explains why modders kept trying to implement them in Rayman Designer!
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Oh yeah, at one point it was my life's mission to try to get Moskito into Rayman Designer, to the point that by sheer brute force I got three imperfect workalikes going! :fou:

Of course, now with Ray1Map, it's possible to do it properly! :D The other bosses can't be done though because their code was removed from the EXE :(
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

PluMGMK wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:08 pm Oh yeah, "By His Fans" is full of amateur-level stuff. Which makes perfect sense, but you'd wonder how they judged the "competition" that supposedly took place to decide whose levels got in :P
I bet it was something like the coding competition my manager-at-the-time wanted to have at work, years ago. He really wanted people to submit their entries, and was encouraging almost to the point of being pushy about it. Nobody wanted to do it, though. Fortunately for me, I was the "organizer" and "judge" so I was forbidden from submitting. :oops2: Anyways, in the end, we had one entry. ONE. :lol: Obviously that guy won (after I at least verified that his solution was working).
arnoldfranklin
Carnivora
Tings: 12665

Post by arnoldfranklin »

It's been months since I unlocked Allegro Presto. I finally beat the level. In Rayman Advance by the way which actually is made somewhat easier lol.
"I am the greatest hero of all time. I get three Globox stamps." ~ Globox himself
DavidSosa
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3455

Post by DavidSosa »

Um.. i would like to know if in the DOS version of rayman, when you beat a boss instead of playing the main theme plays the ps1 theme of victory?
i just want to know
i hate myself
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

It plays the main theme. The extra PS1 tracks are not present in the PC version.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

DavidSosa wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:14 am Um.. i would like to know if in the DOS version of rayman, when you beat a boss instead of playing the main theme plays the ps1 theme of victory?
i just want to know
It does not, not even with PluMGMK's excellent TPLS TSR. I wonder if it is a matter of configuring the CD tracks or the PC version simply doesn't have the appropriate table entry to differentiate between the main theme and the boss victory theme.
DavidSosa
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3455

Post by DavidSosa »

.....i asked wrong.. how i make to play that sound instead of the main theme? maybe replacing some file and puting a cda with the sound? well, then i wish to soon fix that! i love the ps1 victory sound effect! i like that sound, but in pc don´t sounds!!!
i hate myself
MisterDark'sFanClub
Céloche
Tings: 7890

Post by MisterDark'sFanClub »

So I've been wondering this for a while now. Are there two different dubs of the PS1 version? I've heard two wildly different voices for the Magician for PS1.
"You're fragile, too. But at least you can be put back together." ~Mr. Dark (Shadows of Magic AU)
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, there's the American dub in the NTSC version and the European dub in the PAL version. The maps also differ slightly, for example in the placement of a flying ring in the first Blue Mountains map, which makes a difference to whether or not a certain cage can be obtained without the running power.
MisterDark'sFanClub
Céloche
Tings: 7890

Post by MisterDark'sFanClub »

PluMGMK wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:32 pm Yeah, there's the American dub in the NTSC version and the European dub in the PAL version. The maps also differ slightly, for example in the placement of a flying ring in the first Blue Mountains map, which makes a difference to whether or not a certain cage can be obtained without the running power.
Ah thanks!
"You're fragile, too. But at least you can be put back together." ~Mr. Dark (Shadows of Magic AU)
Marx-Y
Magicien Ptizetre
Tings: 2425

Post by Marx-Y »

I while checking some stuff, I found the next images.
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (403.9 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
I know, that was discovered some many years. but I don't look nobody that talked about that.
I thinking that this unknown black man was intended for be the boss for picture city. the dark scenario looks like a darkness theater, and some cabin boys looks like black people but has purple skin.

I do observations to the sprite of the female Rayman from the Super NES prototype, the symbol on body of the girl looks actually like some two small circles, unlike Rayman that he have one big circle like a ring.
200px-Rayman-1-SNES-2.jpg
200px-Rayman-1-SNES-2.jpg (20.31 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
I thinking that may it's represent a esthetic way for representing the cooperative mode.
The Rayman's symbol it's a big ring the representing player 1 while the girl's symbol it's two smaller circles representing the player 2.
In some arcade games with cooperative mode like Contra, the players usually use two colors, red and blue like originally happened in the Super NES prototype.
Remember, The combination of red and blue it's purple.
Jhspecks
Lums Vert
Tings: 85

Post by Jhspecks »

No idea if this was discussed but i'm really intruiged about the elusive 32x version of Rayman. Seen in this video. https://youtu.be/R7lUQhsIKxU

Judging by the poor gameplay this was definitly played on the show floor and that Cart is somewhere out there in the world. I'd love to see the contents in the cart, here's hoping it gets dumped online someday. Shame we missed out on possible YM2612 renditions of the OST.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Marx-Y wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:00 pm I while checking some stuff, I found the next images.
Screenshot.png
I know, that was discovered some many years. but I don't look nobody that talked about that.
I thinking that this unknown black man was intended for be the boss for picture city. the dark scenario looks like a darkness theater, and some cabin boys looks like black people but has purple skin.
That's a pretty good remark, we've known about this dude with the cigar for a long time but I never asked myself where he was originally meant to appear. We know from some early artwork that the ring pirates originally had black skin, so maybe they were all part of some sort of homage to jazz culture? That wouldn't be surprising given the influence of jazz music on the soundtrack of the game.

But then they probably realized that the stereotypes were a bit outdated and might cause outrage at some point, and they decided to repurpose some of the characters and completely scrap others? I'd love to know more about the backstory here.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

Fifo
Joe
Tings: 78355

Post by Fifo »

I’ve found a copy of the files, here you go. ;)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing