Rayman emulation

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Re: Rayman emulation

Post by The Jonster »

Edit:nvm I fixed it. :D
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Shadowrayman
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3255

Post by Shadowrayman »

I'm running Rayman 2 in Project64 and everything works fine except the loading screen animations don't appear, can anyone help?
Computer Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor Windows 10 Home
The Jonster
Joe

Post by The Jonster »

What version are you using and can you show a video?
Shadowrayman
Ptizêtre Ninja

Post by Shadowrayman »

My version is 2.3.2.202 however I found a way to get the loading screen by enabling "Detect CPU write to the N64 frame buffer" but inside the hole of the loading screen, there is a ton of coloured pixels and a pixelated line on the bottom of the screen. I will make a video when I get time.
Computer Specs:
Shadowrayman
Ptizêtre Ninja

Post by Shadowrayman »

The Jonster wrote:What version are you using and can you show a video?
Here's the video

The graphics plugin I'm using is Glide64
Computer Specs:
R4Y_ANC3L
Bras maléfique
Tings: 500

Post by R4Y_ANC3L »

Shadowrayman wrote:My version is 2.3.2.202 however I found a way to get the loading screen by enabling "Detect CPU write to the N64 frame buffer" but inside the hole of the loading screen, there is a ton of coloured pixels and a pixelated line on the bottom of the screen.
It does that usually. It's not too much trouble, fortunately.
It's normal...from the emulation's case.
The Jonster
Joe

Post by The Jonster »

Shadowrayman wrote:
Here's the video

Oh that's what you're talking about. As R4Y said before, that's pretty normal for this game with Glide, considering that I recently used this exact line-up for my R2 walkthrough. You could switch to Jabo but that plug-in has problems of its own too with this game.
Shadowrayman
Ptizêtre Ninja

Post by Shadowrayman »

The Jonster wrote:
Shadowrayman wrote:
Here's the video

Oh that's what you're talking about. As R4Y said before, that's pretty normal for this game with Glide, considering that I recently used this exact line-up for my R2 walkthrough. You could switch to Jabo but that plug-in has problems of its own too with this game.
I might try Jabos plugin except in the widescreen options it won't let me select widescreen.

I am also getting a problem when running Rayman 2 Revolution in PCSX2 where it runs too slow, tried putting graphics to lowest, still too slow, no matter what I do it is still too slow. It starts to get slow when Murfy teaches you how to swim when you jump in the water, it slows down so much so it is barely playable. fixed it anyway figured out how to use speed hacks.
Computer Specs:
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge
Tings: 65

Post by ElPrimordial »

Hello all! I just wanted to do one's bit and share with you some nice shaders that I found for such awesome game that is Rayman 1!!!

These are for ePSXe emulator and Pete's OpenGL2 plugin.

My configuration:
1.- Remember to change "Shader level" and turn on/off "Screen Filtering" accordingly of what you'll see noted on each shader example.
2.- Remember to enter in "..." feature (right next to "Shader effects" option) the PRECISE route for each shader, and to pick the same extension: option 5 for .slv/slf files (as in the picture) or option 3 for .fp/vp.
3.- Also pay a visit to the shader carpet you're going to use, and open any readme or an image showing you the recommended configuration, in case I missed something and when you used that shader, things doesn't look like the examples I'm posting here.

Where get these shaders?
http://www.emu-france.com/emulateurs/5- ... ders-pack/
Almost all shaders listed here are from Emu-France pack.

Want to know more?
https://www.ngemu.com/threads/links-and ... gin.76098/
Those folks invested 12 LONG YEARS developing shaders! Man, that's COMMITMENT!!!

Well now, let's begin!

First a picture with no shader, for comparison purposes.

CRT shader: Not my cup of tea, but since I found many variations of this shader in that pack and was a very popular request in NGEmu shader development threat, I posted it here. (Apparently one can control the amount of lines by changing shader level but I didn't try it and I'm not sure if works in all cases... for more info read ngemu thread and/or shader readme files, if there is any).

AA+Bump+NV HQ and AA+Bump Map+Natural V5 shaders: a very interesting 'texturization', that makes look like the game was running over a canvas, a fabric and similar surfaces. One can control the amount of 'texturization' by changing shader level.

Bilinear Sharp and Lanczos Sharp shaders: another interesting effect IMHO. Other comparable shaders are Jinc2-Sharper; Simple Edge Directed Interpolation (SEDI). Check the curious effect in the purple cotton candy skies!

CComic it doesn't look too good in 2D games.

Its quite interesting how a small change, can make a shader look much better.
Actually, this is one of the few exceptions... the norm is that things look much awful when one doesn't configure the shader correctly and/or use it for games of different type that the one intended when developing it (3D shader for 2D for example).

Really cool shader if was possible to make lines thinner. That noise effect give it a very nice touch!

xBR; xSaI; 2x-5xBR; 2xBR; 5xBR; 6xBRZ; AA; AA & DDT; AA & xBR; SimoneT pure 2D games shaders: These looks extremely similar, much differences comes from how bright or dark they are. These are the best for 2D games: very colorful, smooth, and bright, awesome textures, specially for Rayman themes.

And the very best and finest, IMHO, its AA & xBR 2D + 3D FXAA Hybrid + NTSC TV colors emulation shader. Natural shaders were the ones that delivered the best colors but now NTSC colors emulation are much brighter, crisper and delightful.

Some more images, just in case:
https://imgur.com/gallery/AhbQFtQ
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Welcome to RPC :)

Personally I've become a fan of the pixel perfect scaled sharp edges since I use the OSSC but I admit that some of these do look pretty cool. I like to have more vibrant colours though than most people would, so I would agree on using NTSC TV colours.

That is a really nice addition to the art though with some of those filters and it makes the game look a lot newer.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

The effect of making it look like it's on a canvas is interesting, especially given that an "oil-painting" look is part of Rayman Legends' artstyle. Still, this being a very different game, it probably doesn't work so well; I'd have to see it in action.

Oh, and welcome!
The Jonster
Joe

Post by The Jonster »

Hmm, I should test this myself when I have the chance. And welcome ElPrimordial!
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

I think due to the nature of Rayman 1, the gameplay is better without the filter but some people will think differently and the still pictures look great. I think the comic one is a pretty cool effect :)
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

The Jonster
Joe

Post by The Jonster »

It is indeed! The last ones makes me a bit curious but overall I still like the game without the filter, it works well enough for me.
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

Thanks for your greetings everyone!!
Actually, almost all these shaders look as good in motion as these snapshots. What better excuse to try the ones that caught your attention and replay Rayman just one more time? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

ElPrimordial wrote:Thanks for your greetings everyone!!
Actually, almost all these shaders look as good in motion as these snapshots. What better excuse to try the ones that caught your attention and replay Rayman just one more time? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Or 10 more times because it's such a good game :mrgreen:

I'll try them out though since if I wanted to use no shader I could just use the real hardware :P

ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

Indeed, 1 replay per shader :D
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

I didn't say this until now because I wasn't subscribed to this topic, but welcome ElPrimordial! :D
Shadowrayman
Ptizêtre Ninja

Post by Shadowrayman »

The 5xBR v3.7 looks pretty good for the game, in Rayman Optimum it has an option where you can do that might try it out. Oh and welcome ElPrimordial!
Computer Specs:
ElPrimordial
Lums Rouge

Post by ElPrimordial »

Thanks guys!
Ups, I totally forgot about Rayman Optimun and Plus. Gonna tried them when I manage to get some free time :wink: :wink: