Movies you just recently watched

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Re: Movies you just recently watched

Post by Ray502 »

I'll be watching Jurassic World again tomorrow. Recorded it at 8:00 PM. It'll be the first time I watched that movie since it was in theaters in 2015. Enjoyed it, and I'll be going to see the sequel this summer. :D
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

There's a sequel coming? Had no idea.

I didn't really like it that much though. There were a couple cool/funny scenes, but it was so underwhelming. Sure, it had a lot of hype to live up to, but, like with most revivals, it didn't even attempt to make your jaw drop like the originals did, it was about as standard as standard can be.
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

Annihilation : this was way better than a movie called Annihilation has any right to be, surprisingly strange and ambitious sci-fi thriller that's apparently straight-to-netflix outside the US because retarded financiers thought it was "too intellectual" for general audiences. i thought it was perfect for that crowd, this felt like one of few movies that found a nice middle-of-the-road approach to themes that's neither beating you over the head with it or something only film students on a 2nd viewing will pick up on. the few things i didn't understand during the movie i pieced together afterwards, which is what i think any movie like this should be aiming for.

the visual and sound design was gorgeous, it totally justified being played in a theater and i would go see it for that alone. it also nailed its atmosphere perfectly, the sense of dread that hangs over most of the second and third act kept it consistently tense and there were a few moments i felt a childish sort of "no don't go there! that place looks scary!" feeling pop up, everything elicited a fight or flight response in me.

where it really fell flat though was the writing, it's a book adaption and you can tell they accidentally ripped plot holes into it by discarding details for the sake of trimming it down into a movie, it's hard not to have a couple "why didn't they just do this?" moments. character interactions were sub-part at times, it did a lot of telling instead of showing and some of the dialogue boiled down to giving cliffnote explanations of the science to the audience. that wasn't a huge flaw to me as the themes and atmosphere were clearly the bigger focus and they got those right, but i think the sense of dread would've been amplified by strong characters to dread for.
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

Taxi Driver, yesterday. :hap:
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

Yesterday I finally had the opportunity to watch Get Out, an overall really solid movie that while having a meaningful message, knew how to also poke fun of it from time to time.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Ray502 on February 21 wrote:I'll be watching Jurassic World again tomorrow.
Tomorrow turned into 9 days. :lol:

Anyway, there were few thrilling moments in the movie, a couple of somewhat funny scenes, and Chris Pratt was great. Didn't love it all that much, but I liked it enough to where I will go see the sequel in theaters. :)
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

WizardMinecraft
Électoon
Tings: 7

Post by WizardMinecraft »

I watched the best movie of all time, TROLL LAND by The Asylum. the Locations were vast, great characters, great story, and the best character models of all time.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

I just watched The Last Jedi, or at least as much as I could stand. I'm not a Star Wars fan by any means so I can't say I knew what was going on, so I can't judge it based on plot. But bloody hell, I thought this was supposed to be a good one...
The acting was honestly abysmal, it was just confusing seeing a war take place but at the same time people are in high spirits making lighthearted jabs at each other, or a particular sequence where a girl is crying over the death of her sister, then meets Finn and starts hyperventilating from excitement, then totally flips and electrocutes him. When he wakes up they immediately make friends and she forgets he was trying to escape against her dead sister's cause... What?
The special effects were impressive, though there was one part that was so bad it had me in hysterics (that spectacularly shite yoda puppet).
There were a lot of artificial points of tension where you're supposed to care about characters which are practically extras. One of the worst things about the film though was the "humor". The whole movie was littered with the most benign cliché cheesy moments of humor you could possibly imagine, it felt like it was trying to be a comedy but the rest of the film makes it obvious that it's not.
Though I'm not going to say I don't recommend the film, as I said I'm definitely not a fan of Star Wars anyway and I didn't even finish the thing, but as someone who doesn't follow the series and has only seen the newer ones, it was unbearable. The only redeeming feature was the visuals.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

I don't watch them that often but some film called Eurotrip was on Comedy Central last night so I just watched that. I thought the English guy was hilarious in it just looked real angry and slagging off nearly every European country that and saying they were the Manchester United fan club :lol:
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

The problem with just watching the newer Star Wars movies is you don't have full knowledge and understanding of what is happening, what caused it, and most importantly the origins of the ongoing battle between the Rebellion and the Empire/First Order. Same thing for the characters; who they are, why they are there and their true impact on the story. I truly believe if you go watch the original trilogy, in order, then Force Awakens and finally Last Jedi again, you'll like them more. Even so, Last Jedi still has its flaws but it's still overall a good movie, not great but good.

The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Gee, I haven't watched any movies lately that are worth talking about...Disney movies (no judging please I got bored!)?
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

I've been meaning to re-watch Inside Out, since I heard it was on telly last Saturday…
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano

Post by Ambidextroid »

I watched Ready Player One yesterday, which was a little disappointing. I thought pretty much everything in the Oasis was incredibly well done, from the characters and their expressive animation to the incredible scenes and virtual set pieces, and the whole adventure with the three keys was the best thing about the plot. It felt very videogamey but not boring and cheesy, and generally the methods to obtain the keys were quite interesting.
The main complaints lie with everything that occurs in the real world. It was really pretty boring and I was sort of just waiting for them to get back into the game, it seems like most of the live-action parts of the film were focused around making the plot more mature with bombings, illegal raids and corporate slavery etc. but they came off as the most nonsensical parts and somehow, while the voice acting in-game great, the acting in the real world was just terrible. The ending also made absolutely no sense which is always a downer.
I would have liked to see some more interesting videogame-centric exploits like finding glitches, but there was very little of this at all.
I could point out a number of specific gripes which sort of ruined the film for me, but overall there were no glaring problems or easy fixes I could think of that would improve it. If they could somehow have a lot more of the film take place in the Oasis, or of they changed the theme of the live action segments from a half edgy/half cheesy dystopia to something else then maybe it would have worked better, but despite all this I would still recommend watching the film. The animation was great, and while I had anticipated the pop culture references to be glaringly annoying and forced I actually thought they were done rather well.
Ray502 wrote:I truly believe if you go watch the original trilogy, in order, then Force Awakens and finally Last Jedi again, you'll like them more. Even so, Last Jedi still has its flaws but it's still overall a good movie, not great but good.
You're probably right, I've never been a Star Wars fan but then again I've never really given it a proper chance.
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Ambidextroid wrote:I've never been a Star Wars fan but then again I've never really given it a proper chance.
I didn't get interested into Star Wars until late last year, and when I did I bought the original trilogy on DVD and I loved all three movies. Can't say the same about the sequel movies, but I do like them. :)

Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

The Force Awakens was kind of iffy to me, While I liked the return of classic characters, It felt too much like a retread of A New Hope.
The Last Jedi also has some issues, but I appriciate it more for trying to be more innovative, and for fixing a plot hole from The Force Awakens.

As for the original trilogy, you really should give it a watch, they set a lot of standards for SI-FI films and the special effects still hold up very well.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

Tomb Raider (2018): I'm not sure what to make of this movie, my guess is that they wanted to model it after corny classic adventure movies and have it be like a love letter to old tropes and cliches, but if that's true then there was clearly also some studio fuckery going on to try and amend it into a more traditional modern action movie. The result is that it doesn't really excel at being either and it becomes this weird mix of scenes that were so ridiculous and corny that I couldn't help but be really entertained by them, and scenes where it seemed to actually want to be taken seriously.

Dancer in the Dark: I loved this movie, it hit every note perfectly and dug into a kind of sentimentality, or dreaminess that's not explored very often by anyone. The first half was so intimate and had this like, niceness to it? Very little happens but it's all executed in a way where that was completely fine with me, I would've gladly watched another hour of just this Czech lady (played by Bjork) living her life and doing weird questionable things. And then it transitioned really smoothly into something more melodramatic and eventually really downtrodden.

It's like a cruel adult story told with childish logic, this movie's world likes to resolve problems in unrealistic manners and make innocent assumptions but I think that was all intentional and the running theme of the movie. It definitely feels like something that's going to continue to linger in my head afterwards.

The Mist: This was surprisingly really gripping, it's a great callback to classic horror and I wish I saw the black and white version instead because it would've added a lot to the experience. But even if it had a lot of the silliness and corny dialogue of those movie it still had some really effective scenes too and a Twilight Zone sort of theme running through it. It's less about the actual spooks and more about exploring the concept of the fragility of civilised society, to the point where it's maybe a little on the nose but in a way that still feels plausible and like something that would potentially happen. It also has an incredible ending that makes it worth watching alone, I really recommend avoiding spoilers for this.
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano

Post by Ambidextroid »

Not a movie, but it does relate to a movie:
Death Note (the anime).
I watched the first 3 quarters or so of this series along time ago but dropped it when L died because of how anticlimactic it was, and I thought it would only get worse from then on. Recently my brothers insisted that I watch it to the end and it turns out I was right, the actual ending didn't feel satisfying and relied on a bunch of new characters that I didn't care about (such as Mello's sacrifice) because there wasn't the same kind of development as there was with L.

I read on Wikipedia that in the second live-action Japanese Death Note movie there's a different ending which I thought was way, way better.
Basically, in the anime L is killed by a death god called Rem due to her writing L's name in the Death Note to protect Misa, after being backed in a corner by Light. Not only does this not make any sense (as Misa is defenceless without Rem around) but it's basically Light cheating. He didn't outsmart L, he just got a shinigami to cheat for him.
In the movie, L saw this coming so he wrote his own name in the Death Note and gave himself 23 days to live (the maximum time possible) thereby nullifying the effect of Rem writing his name in the book (as someone who's name is already written is immune to the Death Note until they die) and uses the remaining time to finish his investigation and catch Light. It's not only really clever, as neither Rem nor Light would have seen it coming, but also the fact that L sacrificed himself to save the world from Kira makes for a great ending.
Finally L dies peacefully 23 days later while talking to Light's family and eating a chocolate bar. I can only imagine how great this would have been if I saw this ending in the anime, both happy and sad, but in reality the actual ending felt drawn out, less clever and kind of cliché.
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Yesterday I watched Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. My favorite Jim Carrey movie and one of my favorite movies in general. Hilarious. :)

Lil_DRE
Pti-lote
Tings: 2845

Post by Lil_DRE »

The Thing, by John Carpenter, now I want to see Christine, who is also by the hand of John Carpenter!
-You probably want to know where I got that picture of Barbara :shock:
-You probably want to know what the Synthwave has to do with Barbara :confus:
-You probably want to stop reading this :fou:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

I watched The Big Short today. I really enjoyed the humorous, fourth-wall-break-y, way it explained what led up to the financial crisis, and how people profited from it. After you watch it though, there's a kind of a punch-in-the-gut feeling you get when you realize all this really happened, and could easily happen again. :? I've read about this stuff in newspapers before, but seeing it dramatized on-screen seems to have me feeling quite low afterwards.

I spelled it right this time Fifo, didn't I? XD