Names in other languages?

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Re: Names in other languages?

Post by PluMGMK »

The "Black Lumsa" name is a reference to "Black Mesa", since the whole HHQ level was basically parodying the indoor sections of Half-Life.

The "I want blood, I want gore" line is spoken by André from Globox's stomach when Rayman kills his first Lavomatrix (attempting to encourage the remaining Lavomatrix). Unless it's somewhere different in the demo?
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

PluMGMK wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:12 pm The "Black Lumsa" name is a reference to "Black Mesa", since the whole HHQ level was basically parodying the indoor sections of Half-Life.

The "I want blood, I want gore" line is spoken by André from Globox's stomach when Rayman kills his first Lavomatrix (attempting to encourage the remaining Lavomatrix). Unless it's somewhere different in the demo?
Thanks for the info, at first I thought that "Lumsa" could have been a translation error. About the line, I checked the list of quotes in Rayman 3 and I couldn't find it, I thought it was a little bit too over the top for the game, but now that I know that is a quote from André it makes a lot of sense :mrgreen:.
ZelenPixel
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2255

Post by ZelenPixel »

having subtitles seems to be a Big help for the quotes pages in general and thats kinda exciting
Dear Mario,

Where am i
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

What's the difference between FishBin, MenuBin and TribeBin?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

FishBin contains the data for the combat levels (originally intended for a game called "Rayman Shooting Fish") and TribeBin contains the data for the race levels (originally intended for a game called "Rayman Tribe"). The separation goes to show how loosely the two games were woven together into the single "Rayman Multiplayer", and probably explains why the control schemes and such are separate.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

PluMGMK wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:22 pm FishBin contains the data for the combat levels (originally intended for a game called "Rayman Shooting Fish") and TribeBin contains the data for the race levels (originally intended for a game called "Rayman Tribe"). The separation goes to show how loosely the two games were woven together into the single "Rayman Multiplayer", and probably explains why the control schemes and such are separate.
Ok, thanks for the explanation, "Rayman Shooting Fish" seems kind of odd for a combat game IMO :mrgreen:. Also, thanks to RayCarrot for adding the Rayman M/Arena localization files!
ZelenPixel
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2255

Post by ZelenPixel »

ooh i knew they were separate games initially but i didnt know they were just glued together like that! interestin!!
Dear Mario,

Where am i
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610024

Post by Hunchman801 »

Interesting, it looks like there is a Spanish localization but the levels and characters weren't translated.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

An early version of the Origins script was just discovered: viewtopic.php?p=1369798#p1369798
How should be deal with this in regards to the wiki? There's a lot here worth mentioning, but Big Mama being the Bubble Dreamer can't really be considered canon since it's just from the dev notes.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Because it was once considered doesn't make it canon, it was clearly cut for a reason. The same goes for other plot elements, I guess.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

It's kinda similar to Croboculous's theory though, which I found very interesting.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:04 pm Because it was once considered doesn't make it canon, it was clearly cut for a reason. The same goes for other plot elements, I guess.
Yeah, but we should probably still mention it in the early productions article. I'd like to reference the document itself, but since it's an excels sheet I can't upload it to the wiki. What would you recommend I'd do? Convert it to a pdf perhaps?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

It should be mentioned indeed, and yes, converting it to a PDF sounds like a good idea. :up:
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

I was looking for the spanish name of the Pigpots, and I found 3 names, one in the in-game description ("Porkibanco"), one is mentioned by Murphy ("Cerdito hucha") and another variation appears in the manual ("Cerdito-hucha"). So, I was wondering which one should I pick, if I remember correctly, the name within the game takes precedence over the manual, however in the english wiki, the name that is used for the page is "Pigpot" that comes from the US PC manual.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

You're correct that the in-game name should take precedence over the one in the manual, and the situation on the English wiki should be corrected. It looks like Spiral erroneously renamed it in 2010 and no one ever noticed.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:11 pm You're correct that the in-game name should take precedence over the one in the manual, and the situation on the English wiki should be corrected. It looks like Spiral erroneously renamed it in 2010 and no one ever noticed.
The problem with the pigpots is that there are 2 in-game names, one mentioned in the dialogues and the other one in the descriptions from the Freeze Mode, so I don't know which one takes priority.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

The only guy who ever mentions them is Murfy, right? I think when he says it he's pointing out how un-seriously he takes the whole thing, so I'd prioritize the actual Freeze Mode name.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

PluMGMK wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:33 pm The only guy who ever mentions them is Murfy, right? I think when he says it he's pointing out how un-seriously he takes the whole thing, so I'd prioritize the actual Freeze Mode name.
Ok, thanks for replying. It is kind of funny how Murphy was considered "The Flying Encyclopaedia", but in Rayman 3 he is not even a reliable source :mrgreen:.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Cool, I've made the change on the English side.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:02 am Cool, I've made the change on the English side.
Thanks! Btw, I noticed that I've been using the category "Objetos" instead of "Elementos del mundo", which one do you think should be used? On the english wiki the name of the category is just "Objects".