Ubisoft should sell the Rayman IP to another company?

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Marx-Y
Magicien Ptizetre
Tings: 2425

Ubisoft should sell the Rayman IP to another company?

Post by Marx-Y »

these last days, different people suggest that Ubisoft should sell the Rayman IP to another company, generally is for the disgust and disappoint in these last years. the people is to questioner if really Ubisoft care Rayman. for me, is not rare to see why the people thinking in this way. if Ubisoft don't care the Rayman IP, why don't sell the IP another company.
but, what company exactly Rayman need to go and what way?
gamerz31w
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1365

Re: Ubisoft should sell the Rayman IP to another company?

Post by gamerz31w »

According to Dorkly YouTube channel Nintendo’s Super Mario Bros. going to be owned by Ubisoft.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

terapop made a great video about this:

Marx-Y
Magicien Ptizetre
Tings: 2425

Post by Marx-Y »

if for some (inexplicable) reason Ubisoft don't want sell the Rayman IP, the new game can be developed by another company, while this is published by Ubisoft.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

I must disagree here, it's absolutely not in Ubisoft's interest to sell the Rayman franchise. Even though they're not doing anything with it, selling what used to be their mascot would send a message of financial woes to the markets, and therefore negatively affect the share price, so why anger the shareholders when the company doesn't even need that money?
gamerz31w
Ptizêtre Vert

Post by gamerz31w »

It seems since circa estimate Anno Domini of year of 2017 Epic Games,CCP,People Can Fly,Tencent don’t care about Jazz Jackrabbit series working on brand new innovative game genre of videogames such as Fortnite Battle Royale.
Onmp314
Reine Ptizêtre
Tings: 4670

Post by Onmp314 »

Ubisoft will not sell Rayman's franchise. Although Michel Ancel left Ubisoft, I think Ubisoft will create a new Rayman (not necessarily Rayman 4). Besides, who would be interested in it?
Welcome, I'm Onmp314 ;)
ItzalDrake
Reflux
Tings: 8658

Post by ItzalDrake »

If Ubisoft would make a new Rayman game it will be using the UbiArt engine and I guess that many Rayman fans are sick of it.
I don't mean that UbiArt is a bad engine, I love it, I'd like to see it used for different 2D platform games but Ubisoft is overusing it for Rayman games.
After seeing all these 3D platformers mascots back like Kao and Crash Bandicoot coming back I'd love to see a Rayman 4, I could also accept a 3D spin-off that can make us understand more about Rayman's world and learn more about the characters from the original trilogy, even playing from the villain side! :D
Hello! Image
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

ItzalDrake wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:35 pm If Ubisoft would make a new Rayman game it will be using the UbiArt engine and I guess that many Rayman fans are sick of it.
I don't mean that UbiArt is a bad engine, I love it, I'd like to see it used for different 2D platform games but Ubisoft is overusing it for Rayman games.
I agree, the UbiArt era was a nice part of Rayman's life, but it's time to move back to 3D platforming again. Or should I say, it's been time for 19 years already? :hap:
gamerz31w
Ptizêtre Vert

Post by gamerz31w »

It seems UbiSoft is more fascinated with making which they already made it was brand new indie game inspired by Fortnite or rather it’s Assassin‘s Creed Battle Royale. I might be wrong or rather right.
Rsandee
Moskito
Tings: 59720

Post by Rsandee »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:24 pm I must disagree here, it's absolutely not in Ubisoft's interest to sell the Rayman franchise. Even though they're not doing anything with it, selling what used to be their mascot would send a message of financial woes to the markets, and therefore negatively affect the share price, so why anger the shareholders when the company doesn't even need that money?
I agree and it's not a great outlook. Maybe they will be able to sell it once people have had a bit more time to forget about the franchise? I doubt shareholders care about a history lesson if the public has moved on.
Retrofuge
Reflux
Tings: 8045

Post by Retrofuge »

I always heard this argument over the last 2 years or so. But, I'm not sure, if people really understand how gaming industry works or Ubisoft works. Yes, Rayman was their mascot for a time. But that's the keyword 'was'. Rayman was pretty much made in an era which was to compete with the likes of Mario 64, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot and other IPs. Even, when you go back to the 90s and 2000s. I do recall Ubisoft trying to milk as much as the IPs as they could. It's important to note, because I don't think Rayman was ever going to be permanant mainstay IP. The series was already declining after Rayman 3. Despite being my favourite in the series was also the worst selling in the trilogy. Then, we got Rabbids and then Assassin's Creed which were bigger money makers. Then, there's Rayman Origins and Legends which sold well. But I don't think there was ever any plans of bringing Rayman back, except for putting him on mobile. Even then that, it seems Ubisoft doesn't see money in the IP anymore and have more luractive ways to do so.

As for another company being given the rights to Rayman. That wouldn't really work, I don't recall any series even the most dormant, being sold to other companies just because they don't do anything. We have to remember, it's their IPs and they still have the trademarks. Why would they go through the trouble when they could make it themselves? Nothing even says they can't make one in the future. It's really comes down to if Ubisoft is even interested in reviving Rayman? If Rayman was ever going to get 'sold' at best, the series will be outsourced for development. I feel like Ubisoft would have done it by now if that was the case. I just think Ubisoft selling series 'just because' would be stupid business wise and finanically.

I feel like this discussion is only really talking point because of the bitter resentment that Rayman fans for other platformers getting revived instead of him. Basically, creating this whole 'whataboutism' which I have been seeing lately. It seems like it's the only community which has even consider it out of desperation. But, Rayman going on long hiatus isn't a new concept. He would probably come back in some capacity, but I wouldn't keep my hopes too high or expect anything original.

I exist, just finding stuff of interest.
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Post by dr_st »

The work being done by this community (mods, upscaled remakes and even new content, like "Redemption / Redesigner"), is far more impressive than everything Ubisoft had done since Legends.

There is enough Rayman content out there to sustain a generation of fans for many years. And it is perfectly accessible even on modern PCs / consoles, thanks to emulation, as well as re-releases, which is something Ubisoft is actually not bad about.

There is a delicate balance with Ubisoft. I am sure they are happy knowing at the back of their head that the community helps them keep the interest in the franchise alive, and more and more players get exposed (some of them eventually buying the games which makes Ubisoft a buck here and there, often more). In return, they may turn a blind eye to the fact that some things shared/distributed through here is either copyrighted content (mostly assets) or gameplay mods, which in certain jurisdictions have an undefined legal status. Yes, as far as I know, it should all be covered under "fair use" (it is not like we ever distributed pirated games here), but a lot of things fall in the gray area.

There is absolutely no guarantee that another company buying / inheriting the IP rights would be just as happy to have this huge awesome community, which knows much more about Rayman than they ever will, and may be seen as a threat to whatever business model they conceive (even if it is a dumb model intended to do nothing but milk the existing fan base for lazy "remasters" of low quality).

In fact, I am almost certain, that almost anyone who bought the Rayman IP explicitly, would view it as such. Very few would do this to revive the series. Most would do this to make, what they see as, some easy cash. And we would be seen as a threat. Therefore, at the time being - I would very much prefer that Ubisoft does not sell the IP. I don't care if there are no more official Rayman games, ever. I am perfectly content with what we have and what we can do with it. :)
Last edited by dr_st on Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

dr_st wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:01 am I don't care if there are no more official Rayman games, ever. I am perfectly content with what we have and what we can do with it. :)
QFT :hap:

Yeah, good points about how other companies could and would upset the delicate balance we've had for years. Things could be a lot worse than they are right now…
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

I can agree with that as well. As much as we like to act like Ubisoft doesn't care about this series at all, that more or less just boils down to them not making a new AAA game. I think the franchise has been handled with a lot of integrity so far given what it is to Ubisoft now.
impmadness
Lums
Tings: 25

Post by impmadness »

I don't think Ubisoft should sell the Rayman IP, it could work on the right hands but I doubt any third party studio would want to develop a Rayman game, but take a look at Crash Bandicoot, I'm not entirely sure how Crash's rights work but eventually Toys For Bob did a great job remastering and doing a very good sequel. (A 4th main entry coincidentally enough) I feel like Rayman deserves the Crash treatment but then again, we've got good games and it's okay if none will be made again, the community is here to keep Michel's idea alive.
Moventur
Paluchard
Tings: 528

Post by Moventur »

impmadness wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:47 am I don't think Ubisoft should sell the Rayman IP, it could work on the right hands but I doubt any third party studio would want to develop a Rayman game, but take a look at Crash Bandicoot, I'm not entirely sure how Crash's rights work but eventually Toys For Bob did a great job remastering and doing a very good sequel. (A 4th main entry coincidentally enough) I feel like Rayman deserves the Crash treatment but then again, we've got good games and it's okay if none will be made again, the community is here to keep Michel's idea alive.
Agree with you.
Greengoop
Creveton
Tings: 29850

Post by Greengoop »

I swear if Nintendo buys it and shuts down redemption we’d all be crying :ouin:

Bump