How to get Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers/Quack Attack working on your PC!

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Garo
Incrediball
Tings: 390

How to get Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers/Quack Attack working on your PC!

Post by Garo »

In 2000, Ubisoft Casablanca released this Crash Bandicoot inspired Donald Duck 3D platformer to the world! Even though this is a "licensed" game it has a surprising amount of quality to it, which is why people still fondly remember this game. Or it's just nostalgia I'm not really sure :lol:. Nevertheless, fans have decided to make patches for this game to allow it to run on modern PCs. I have created this topic to put them all in a convenient place and to walk you through the steps on setting this up yourself. So without further ado, let's get started!

Part 1: Obtaining the Game

Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers was never released digitally and was only available physically as a disc. I have provided links to buy the game physically if you're a collector, but to everyone else I have provided an ISO backup of the disc that you can mount with a program like DAEMON Tools Lite.

Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers ISO

Links to buy the physical disc:

Amazon

eBay

Part 2: Installing the Game

Run "Setup.exe" and install the game normally. Make sure you select "Standard Install" and don't worry about registering the game. After you install the game download the Donald Duck Compatibility Patch.

Donald Duck Compatibility Patch

(Included in this patch is Xidi, a program that restores controller support for DInput and allows XInput gamepads to function. You will need Windows 10 and the latest Visual Studio redistributables or else the program will not work. You can get them here. You won't need the ARM64 version unless you're using an ARM-based CPU.)

Extract all the files contained in the .7z file to your game directory. The default location is "C:\Program Files\Disney Interactive\Donald Duck". This patch already includes the NO DISC patch so no need to worry. Next open "Enable Indeo Video Codecs.reg" and click "Yes". This will enable the FMV cutscenes to play without running the game in compatibility mode. Finally, open "dgVoodooCpl.exe" and go to the "DirectX" tab. Set your resolution to your monitor's native resolution, then click "Apply" and "OK".

Part 3: Setting up Widescreen

Open the folder "Widescreen Binaries" and go to the folder labeled with your monitor's aspect ratio. Then copy the files in that folder to your game directory. It's as easy as that!

Part 4: Miscellaneous

Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers should support all types of controllers/gamepads. This includes DInput, DualShock 4/DualSense, and XInput.

If you want to play the game in 4:3 aspect ratio open "dgVoodooCpl.exe" and set your "Scaling mode" to "Stretched, keep Aspect Ratio". Apply your changes and click "OK". Then open "dgVoodoo.conf" with a text editor and scroll down to the [DirectX] section and you should find an option labeled "Resolution". Set the height and width of your resolution to the 4:3 equivalent of your monitor's native resolution. Ex: 1920 x 1080 (16:9) > 1440 x 1080 (4:3). Save your changes and launch the game. If it works your game should be displaying at a crisp 4:3 resolution.

Check out my AI upscaled texture pack for the game here.

As of today when I posted this (November 12, 2022) the compatibility patch includes the latest version of dgVoodoo (v2.79.3). If this version is outdated and you wish to update dgVoodoo to the latest version simply download it here and replace dgVoodooCpl.exe, dgVoodoo.conf, DDraw.dll, and D3DImm.dll with the newer versions. Keep in mind this will reset your original dgVoodoo configuration.
Last edited by Garo on Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Troublesome isn't it, and untidy too." - The Magician from Rayman
ElmerMouseFan34
Électoon
Tings: 10

Re: How to get Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers/Quack Attack working on your PC!

Post by ElmerMouseFan34 »

Thank you for the tutorial.
I still can't play the game though, but at least I was able to see the first loading screen. :)

If anyone could help me with more tips, I appreciate.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

ElmerMouseFan34 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:38 pm Thank you for the tutorial.
I still can't play the game though, but at least I was able to see the first loading screen. :)

If anyone could help me with more tips, I appreciate.
Hm I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe this could be a DEP issue? Open Control Panel and search for "System", then click "View advanced system settings." Under "Performance," click "Settings..." and go to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab. Then you can create a DEP exception for "Donald.exe". If that doesn't work put your DEP settings back to default and restart your PC. Sometimes a restart is all you need. Hope this helps :)
ElmerMouseFan34
Électoon

Post by ElmerMouseFan34 »

Garo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:16 pm Hm I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe this could be a DEP issue? Open Control Panel and search for "System", then click "View advanced system settings." Under "Performance," click "Settings..." and go to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab. Then you can create a DEP exception for "Donald.exe". If that doesn't work put your DEP settings back to default and restart your PC. Sometimes a restart is all you need. Hope this helps :)
Sorry for the late reply, but I found a similar tutorial and I got is working fine (until I got the milkshake, then it froze Donald and the particle effects were still active).
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

ElmerMouseFan34 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:40 pm Sorry for the late reply, but I found a similar tutorial and I got is working fine (until I got the milkshake, then it froze Donald and the particle effects were still active).
Sounds like that could be a GPU driver issue maybe? If you're using a NVIDIA GPU get GeForce Experience and use that program to update your GPU drivers. If you're not using a NVIDIA GPU then look up a tutorial elsewhere on how to update your drivers.
hawkangel
Électoon

Post by hawkangel »

Has anyone managed to get this working on the steam deck?
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

hawkangel wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:59 am Has anyone managed to get this working on the steam deck?
I don't own a Steam Deck so unfortunately I can't test this, but it might work seeing as people have managed to get Rayman 2 working on the Steam Deck.
elvenw
Électoon
Tings: 20

Post by elvenw »

ElmerMouseFan34 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:40 pm
Garo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:16 pm Hm I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe this could be a DEP issue? Open Control Panel and search for "System", then click "View advanced system settings." Under "Performance," click "Settings..." and go to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab. Then you can create a DEP exception for "Donald.exe". If that doesn't work put your DEP settings back to default and restart your PC. Sometimes a restart is all you need. Hope this helps :)
Sorry for the late reply, but I found a similar tutorial and I got is working fine (until I got the milkshake, then it froze Donald and the particle effects were still active).
I got the same problem, how did you fix it?
elvenw
Électoon

Post by elvenw »

Garo wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:17 am
ElmerMouseFan34 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:40 pm Sorry for the late reply, but I found a similar tutorial and I got is working fine (until I got the milkshake, then it froze Donald and the particle effects were still active).
Sounds like that could be a GPU driver issue maybe? If you're using a NVIDIA GPU get GeForce Experience and use that program to update your GPU drivers. If you're not using a NVIDIA GPU then look up a tutorial elsewhere on how to update your drivers.
I followed every steps, the game starts but the loading stops at same point everytime, Ive update my gpu and other stuff, any suggestion?
closer1000
Lums Vert
Tings: 88

Post by closer1000 »

elvenw wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:30 am
I followed every steps, the game starts but the loading stops at same point everytime, Ive update my gpu and other stuff, any suggestion?
I have the same exact issue at the same spot.
elvenw
Électoon

Post by elvenw »

Just wait if someone can help us
elvenw
Électoon

Post by elvenw »

closer1000 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:18 pm
elvenw wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:30 am
I have the same exact issue at the same spot.
go and check a youtube channel "zitzar" follow every step he makes and it will work
Scrapjunker
Électoon

Post by Scrapjunker »

ElmerMouseFan34 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:40 pm
Found out it's because of the fps patch. For now it works fine with me.

Update: Feezed on one occasion. Probably due to raising 60 fps. Somehow limiting to 30 might fix.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

The FPS patch shouldn't break anything, all it does is prevent the game from capping to 30 FPS. The FPS patch is also included in my compatibility patch. The game was programmed to run at 60 FPS but without the patch it sometimes caps to 30 FPS for no apparent reason. The exact same thing also happens with Rayman 2, which has it's own respective patch.
Scrapjunker
Électoon

Post by Scrapjunker »

Garo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:29 pm The FPS patch shouldn't break anything, all it does is prevent the game from capping to 30 FPS. The FPS patch is also included in my compatibility patch. The game was programmed to run at 60 FPS but without the patch it sometimes caps to 30 FPS for no apparent reason. The exact same thing also happens with Rayman 2, which has it's own respective patch.
But why not installing it fixes the milkshake issue? Or is there some additional things i should do? I still do believe it's some kinda framerate issue.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

Could you provide a recording the milkshake issue if you could recreate it? I am very interested as I don't think I've heard of it before. Playing the game at 60 FPS in my experience had no glitches like that.
Scrapjunker
Électoon

Post by Scrapjunker »

Alright, here's the clips
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/oooy05ib ... fbu6o&dl=0

Have to apologise for the wrong fps amounts.

For the first video its 144 fps (fps patch) , second between 70-60 (no patch)
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

Wow sorry for not responding I forgot about this topic. With dgVoodoo try to limit your HZ to 60. Any HZ over 60 will cause the game to speedup.
Scrapjunker
Électoon

Post by Scrapjunker »

Garo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:07 pm Wow sorry for not responding I forgot about this topic. With dgVoodoo try to limit your HZ to 60. Any HZ over 60 will cause the game to speedup.
Lmao of course why didnt i think of limiting it trough .conf. Thanks man
EdFalcon
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by EdFalcon »

Hello from Mindanao Philippines! I wanted desperately to install this game to my Windows 10 PC for my grandchild, but I failed. I did everything as per your instructions. But when I run Setup.exe, and I click Install now, all I get is: Choose setup language [I choose English (United Kingdom)] Then after I click OK I get only: Setup is unable to find _SETUP.DLL, which is needed to complete the installation. Error 103.