After hours of painstakingly looking at the game's files with a hex editor, I finally found a way to achieve perfect widescreen on Tonic Trouble (Retail!) This means there are no disappearing objects anymore, unlike previous attempts at widescreen for this game. In this tutorial I will provide an in-depth guide on how you can achieve glorious widescreen in this game yourself!
Credits to RayCarrot for creating Rayman Control Panel. Credits to AuToMaNiAk005 for figuring out how to modify Tonic Trouble's internal resolution. Credits to lk19 for their findings on Hype: The Time Quest Widescreen. This was very helpful for finding the right FOV values for this game.
Tonic Trouble (Retail) Widescreen Gameplay
Somethings to be aware of:
- You will need a hex editor for this. I recommend using HxD.
- You will need Rayman Control Panel. Get it here.
- As of right now ultrawide aspect ratios, (21:9, 25:16, 32:9, etc.) are not supported due to the game crashing when forcing ultrawide resolutions.
- The ending cutscene is slightly zoomed in. As of right now there is no fix.
Now open Rayman Control Panel and go to the Utilities tab. At the bottom you should a section labeled "Decoders," set it to Tonic Trouble and click Decode. Then, head to the folder where your game is installed, go to GAMEDATA\WORLD\LEVELS and decode fix.sna. Once decoded, open HxD, type Ctrl + O, and open your decoded fix.sna file. Then type Ctrl + G and go to offset 225E22. Type Ctrl + R and go to the Floating point number tab, put 1.5 in the first box and in the second box:
- 1.786 for 16:9
- 1.68203222751617 for 16:10
- 1.72249913215637 for 15:9
And you're done! You can now enjoy Tonic Trouble (Retail) in perfect widescreen! If you experience any issues try the following:
- Setting your in-game resolution to 640x480. This should already be set by default but if it isn't, change it.
- Setting your Scaling mode in dgVoodoo to Stretched, keep Aspect Ratio.
- Setting your resolution in the DirectX tab of dgVoodoo to Max.
- If your game crashes it means you made a mistake modifying fix.sna and you need to try again.