Rayman 2 (iOS)
|Rayman 2: The Great Escape|
|Gameplay mode||Single player|
Rayman 2: The Great Escape (iOS) is a port of Rayman 2 for Apple devices with iOS operating system. As it was released relatively early to the iOS market, it is compatible with all iOS devices, including the original iPhone and iPod touch. However, it does not feature native iPad or Retina support (though the game can be forced to render at the Retina resolution using a jailbreak-only tweak known as Retinasizer). It has the usual Rayman 2 components, except for its control interface and the Isle of Doors instead of the Hall of Doors.
It is directly based off of the Sega Dreamcast version of the game and includes all of the audio, graphical and aesthetic changes made to that version. However, all minigames and bonus games, including the end-of-level one, have been removed, presumably to limit the file size. In addition, minor glitches exclusive to the release exist:
- Music looping is noticeable as there is a short delay before the track restarts again. This is glaringly obvious on the main menu and the Isle of Doors.
- Music sometimes loops in inappropriate places, such as the victory music after defeating a Guardian.
- The 2D mushrooms that can be seen in the Woods of Light and other forested locations do not billboard properly in the iOS version. Rotating the camera around them reveals them to be impossibly thin 2D objects, and one side of the mushrooms looks different and much smaller than the other side. In other versions of the game, the large side is always facing the camera.
- Some music cues have been changed, particularly in the Menhir Hills, where music now plays at the start of the level.
- Globox Village has been removed. However, the level geometry itself stays the same, so the ledge used to access it still exists, along with the hint stone that explains Purple Lums. The lum itself is absent and the hint stone does not function.
- The original release of the game included a glitch that caused the first switch at the Fairy Glade to be non-functional, barring the player's progress. This only happened on devices running iOS 4, and an update was released to fix it.
Other changes include:
- The slide at the beginning of the game can be controlled using the device's accelerometer (tilt controls). This is the only instance of tilt controls in the game.
- The Knowledge of the World is accessed through the Help menu instead of using a button. As such, it cannot be accessed in-game. Oddly, Rayman can access all of the information at the start, rendering the collection of Yellow Lums essentially useless.
- The 3 cryptic cheats from the Dreamcast version (revealed in the Tomb of the Ancients secret area) can be used on the iOS version, though no text flashes across the screen.
A free demo of the game was released on the App Store along with the paid, full version. It allowed the player to play up until the end of the Woods of Light. Interestingly, it also includes the "Lift Game" from the Dreamcast version, which is not accessible in the full version. This version has since been removed from the App Store.